How did nvidia do 3D?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion How did nvidia do 3D?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    broksampson
    Participant

Had those glasses and a supported monitor for stereo 3D. It worked on every game in my steam library where there was two slightly different views of the same screen alternating. How’d they do it? I don’t think every last one of those games went back and made support for their game to work this way. Some of the same games in my library I’d wish could have 3D on vorpx (I’m a big fan of your work ralf). I preordered a vive because the tech is better and after the 20 plus games, the other 80-100 due to drop the rest of 2016, the endless co-op building of things and worlds of lovely modbox , I’d like to experience soma, and outlast etc in vr 3D.

broksampson
    Participant

Nvidia 3D vision comparability mode relies on the z-buffer (I’m assuming if this works the same way as Carmack’s frame interpolation for oculus) and the final picture so it will work on pretty much anything that has a z-buffer.

Whereas normal 3d mode requires every single shader to work. A much bigger pain in the ass. Is there something from this worth exploiting to get more game support?

Electryic
    Participant

Seems pretty obvious that the last thing they want is to unleash everyone’s existing game libraries into VR, as that won’t make them any money.

They want us to think that a game has to be made especially for VR, even though its all been done before w/ 3D vision. The last thing they want though is for us to have 100’s of games to dive into w/ VR. They apparently want us to think that the only games for VR will be the ones they are wanting to sell us for $60 each like its a PS4 or something.

broksampson
    Participant

I hope that’s not true. I see backwards compatibility as a selling point-PlayStation did it almost every console and playing older games didn’t eat into sales of the games launched with the system. Plus 3D viewing doesn’t account for head tracking, tracked controllers, and walking physically around your room in room scale vr. Most games have at least some locked movement scenes in games among vr compatible issues (alien isolation you press a button and she automatically runs into a metal locker to hide) I’d understand if they were “play at your own risk”, or “modders wanted”. But I really don’t see playing games in non room scale nor tracked controllers 3D will impede game sales, nor dissuade Indy devs from making some awesome made for vr games.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!