how important is a game's refresh rate to good vorpx functionality?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion how important is a game's refresh rate to good vorpx functionality?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    orthicviper
    Participant

I’ve read a lot of talk about using VorpX but people are just bringing up stuff like FOV and custom resolutions and I don’t hear about refresh rates. I was wondering if it had something to do with why my geforce 1060 is giving me BELOW 30 game FPS (VorpX’s ALT+F FPS counter) on F.E.A.R. even though the direct mode fps was 90 and I turned down my graphics settings and used a 640×480 resolution and it made no change at all in the game fps.

Ralf
    Keymaster

45fps (or more general half your headset’s refresh rate) are required for a comfortable experience. Depending on how sensitive you are to motion sickness you may find it’s OK below that until 30 or so, but for Rift and Vive 45fps kind of is the magic threshold where it starts to get really good.

With a relatively old game like FEAR that should be no problem on your 1060 normally. Maybe VSync is on, which should be off for vorpX. vorpX should handle that (or at least show a warning), but it can’t hurt to force it off in your nVidia control panel.

Electryic
    Participant

VorpX basically gives you around 8-10 times less FPS than you will get on your regular monitor. Even games that I am running at around 200-300 FPS still slog along at around 30-40 FPS in the headset. Left For Dead 2 (source engine 2)which runs at 400+ FPS on my monitor is the only game so far that I have seen using vorpX that gives me the 60-90 FPS silky smooth that you want for VR. 45 FPS is sleep inducing. And all of this is on a brand new $700 1080GTX.

Ralf
    Keymaster

When a game runs with 45fps with vorpX, there is an artficial frame created in between two real frames, either by the headset runtime or by vorpX’s own “Timewarp” functionality. So head tracking alwawys works with full 90 FPS despite a game running at 45fps.

Battlefield player
    Participant

VorpX basically gives you around 8-10 times less FPS than you will get on your regular monitor. Even games that I am running at around 200-300 FPS still slog along at around 30-40 FPS in the headset. Left For Dead 2 (source engine 2)which runs at 400+ FPS on my monitor is the only game so far that I have seen using vorpX that gives me the 60-90 FPS silky smooth that you want for VR. 45 FPS is sleep inducing. And all of this is on a brand new $700 1080GTX.

10 times less? Thats horrible, can anyone on this forum confirm this?

If I get 10 times less FPS, then with my GTX 1070 I could play only games from 1998.

Electryic
    Participant

10 times less? Thats horrible, can anyone on this forum confirm this?

If I get 10 times less FPS, then with my GTX 1070 I could play only games from 1998.

At that time I had just upgraded to the 1080GTX but was still using an older AMD 8350, which although I thought was a decent enough processor, apparently didn’t play well with VR/VorpX etc. I’ve since upgraded the rest of my system and am now getting the expected performance.

Jimbostein
    Participant

Yeah, definitely somewhat playable at 30, but higher is better. I found that for some games (like ESO) turning off “tracking prediction” in the display settings makes for a much more jitter-free experience.

A lot of times you can just turn off a few things and have a smooth experience…like, if I just turn shadows to low, and water to low, in ESO, it significantly increases framerates.

Minabe
    Participant

45 fps is unplayable for me, anything under 60 hurts my eyes. Funny enough i can get confortable playing at 30 fps on a monitor with most games.

blueshark747
    Participant

Well of course stereoscopic 3D and Direct VR FOV with tracking are gonna eat some performance.
    Stereoscopic alone is the native resolution x2, 3D requires firepower period!!!
    VorpX still eats less fps than my 3D Vision setup.
    And please don’t use GTAV as any sort of benchmark…the game just isn’t optimized nor meant for VR nor 3D Vision really.

I’m running on a beefy 1080ti/8700k combo though

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!