How to avoid updating

Homepage Forums Technical Support How to avoid updating

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nieda113
    Participant

Hi pls how can u avoid updating voprx ? Just in case soemone want to wait a few days though?

prinyo
    Participant

Go offline before starting it is the only option that exists now I believe.

I’m still waiting for Ralf to tell me how can I use a backup in order to recover the previous version.

I believe VorpX needs an option to disable automatic updates and ask before updating and a way to revert to the previous version.

prinyo
    Participant

I want to explain this further in order to avoid confusion.

Running a stable modded Skyrim requires lots of reading, experimenting and time. Any small change in the setup can have bigger consequences.

There are two important elements in the process:
    1. You can take it step by step and activate/deactivate/update mods, tools, drivers one by one when you are ready to test them.
    2. You can always disable one of them and/or revert to an older version that you are familiar with and/or know that it works. So you can choose to stick to an older version if it suits you better.

This is valid for all tools and mods – even for the GPU drivers released by Nvidia, even for the Windows updates. Except VorpX – the update will come when it comes, regardless if you are ready to deal with it or not. Once it arrives there is no way to go back.
    This complicates everything and makes the debugging/testing way harder.

In my specific case right now – my previously perfectly running setup is now completely broken and unplayable. Is it because of the update? I have no idea. As far as I know the update is the only thing that changed in the mean time. But I have no way to test that as I have no way to clean revert to the previous version.
    Even if the problem is somewhere else, reverting to the older version would help a lot. Because when you are looking for a component that is not working correctly you would want to know that all other parts of the system are working as expected.
    Right now I’m facing an equation with too many unknowns and I don’t even know if I have the will and the energy to start solving it. Or simply abandon everything.

I understand that the point of the update is to make the system as much plug and play as possible for the benefit of those who do not care to read and press a button or two, but it should not come with a price for those of us who have put a lot of effort in our setups and have been loyal customers and supporters for quite some time now.

An option to revert to the previous version – even temporarily, is extremely important. Please give us that option.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m out of town currently. I get back to you via mail as soon as I’m at work again. Normally there is no way to go back to earlier versions and this will not be introduced. Thanks for your patience.

The chance that your issue is related to the latest update is extremely slim though. Not a single report that sounds even remotely like yours. That is next to impossible for Skyrim if there was a general vorpX issue causing a problem like yours.

nieda113
    Participant

Hi going offline and avoid updating is almost impossible. Vorpx connect automatically to the internet. You need to add an exclusion in ur firewall setting and it mus be set for ingoing and outgoing processes.
    I will test this the next days but i guess vorpx wont start without online connection…. due to the nature of mandatory vorpx update …

prinyo
    Participant

Not a single report that sounds even remotely like yours.

There was also not a single report about the screen mirror been black, yet it is the case for me both on my previous and my new PC. There are too many variables involved in order to assume that what works on one setup will work exactly the same way on another. All I ask for is a possibility to debug my own problems myself, I’m not expecting ready answers.

Going back to the OPs question – what about the possibility to add an option to choose between auto or manual install of updates?

Ralf
    Keymaster

As said above, such a feature will not be introduced. Thanks for your understanding. I’ll get back to you when I’m back at work in this specific case.

If you use heavily modded games, the best course of action in case of issues is to remove any mods and check whether the issue still occurs without mods. I understand that particularly for Skyrim that doesn’t sound great from a user’s perspective, but it’s simply impossible to consider all the mods out there.

Only issues that occur after removing all mods or issues that can be clearly assigned to a specific, heavily used mod, can be considered actual issues. You probably can’t imagine how much time went into this game alone, there has to be some limit regarding what can be done for a single title, even in case of Skyrim.

prinyo
    Participant

Fixed the problem. Removed the ini files and let the game create new ones.

There were lots of fixes and customization there, not sure which one of them was creating the problem. Might investigate further on the next few days.
    Seems now it works perfectly.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Cool, glad you solved it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!