How to find out if a game supports Z3D or G3D?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion How to find out if a game supports Z3D or G3D?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MarcDwonn
    Participant

Like the title says. I want to play some newer games in the next months, like Dying Light 2 and Alan Wake 2, and i tried to look up if they’re running in Z3D, the stereoscopic mode that i favor.

In the VorpX control panel i can find if a game has a profile, but not what mode it’s compatible with. But maybe i’m missing something? Is there a way to find out if a game supports Z3D or G3D?

Reaver Shadow
    Participant

Sorry @MarcDownn, don’t mean to hijack this thread/question, but was curious if you could share your insights why you prefer Z3D over G3D? I know it personal preference, so purely curious perhaps it’s an aspect I haven’t considered.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Two reasons, that are somewhat related: 1) performance and 2) graphics fidelity

In more detail:

1) I don’t want to compromise on resolution, framerate and graphics settings. I need the highest possible performance of all three. With G3D one or more of those has to give.

2) I don’t want to compromise on lighting. Bad lighting is immersion breaking to me, a properly working Ambient Occlusion in-game is the bare minimum for me in the 2020’s. G3D is often not compatible with Ambient Occlusion and/or worse – dynamic shadows often are rendered with an error between left/right eye, or only in one eye (so those shadows are disabled in many G3D profiles). Since Z3D takes the whole image with all effects intact to convert it to stereoscopic, nothing breaks.

I’m well aware of the artifacts of Z3D, but my brain can ignore those easily. The same is not the case with missing AO, broken/missing shadows, low resolution/FPS etc.

luka2099
    Participant

The games that work in dx12 dont have g3d but only z3d and z adaptive. The games that work with dx11 dx10 dx9 maybe that have g3d. But not all.
    I tell you a tipo. You can try use reshade and vorpxdesktop viewer for game that work in dx12.
    I play all game in z3d because have too better performance and g3d sometime gibe you only stereoscophy and more glithc. But some game same metro exodus work graet in g3d .

MarcDwonn
    Participant

@Luka – Because i have planned a replay of the Metro trilogy, i want to ask you:

1) Do you have proper Ambient Occlusion and dynamic shadows in G3D in Metro?

2) What versions of Metro are we talking about here? All 3 games or just the first one? Enhanced or original edition?

luka2099
    Participant

I talking about metro exodus original version. The enchanted version work only dx12 and no have g3d.
    All three game of metro work great in g3d with no gtaphic issues

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Luka. I hate having to chose, but as it seems i have to either use the original games with the worse graphics with VorpX, or i need to use something else to be able to play the enhanced versions of Metro.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Huh? There are profiles for all Metro games except for the Exodus DX12 version, which for the most part was an nVidia marketing stunt with marginally improved lighting at the cost of performance anyway.

BTW1: All Metro proflies come with DirectVR (“in-engine”) head tracking, automated FOV setup and various VR related tweaks. Also games like these are perfect for motion controller gestures (requires vorpX 24.1.0). Good luck finding any of that that elsewhere.

BTW2: IIRC the original DX9 versions of the first two games also perform better than their DX11 counterparts, which obviously is highly important for VR. So whether the enhanced edition builds are the better choice is quite debatable.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

That’s all fine and dandy and i appreciate your efforts, Ralf. But all i’m interested in is to have the best possible graphics in Immersive Screen mode.

Not sure about the Exodus DX12 remaster. I remember that the lighting looked unified and noticeably better in comparison screenshots than the non-raytracing version, but i could remember wrong. I’ll definitely look into that again, to be sure i’m not talking nonsense. :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

You appreciate my efforts? That is exceptionally kind of you. How on earth could I – with mere 20 years of experience as a 3D-artist – not realize that this butt ugly DX11 Metro Exodus has become practically unplayable after the release of the DX12 version with its life changing, probably even time bending new lighting. My sincerest apologies for only meeting 5/6 of your personal demands in regard to the Metro series. Not.

Seriously: you are the one with the ‘difficult developer’ issue, aren’t you? Ever heard of difficult users?

Official profiles with all the unique bells and whistles vorpX has to offer (and then some) for all games of the series minus the DX12 version of the last, but someone will still complain. You can’t make this shit up. Old fool that I am I truly thought I had seen it all over the last 10 years here until five minutes ago…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!