How to get games like Doom Eternal into 3d in your headset w/ Vorpx

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings How to get games like Doom Eternal into 3d in your headset w/ Vorpx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TheBalt
    Participant

Hey everyone,

So, Vorpx is great but unfortunately, due to Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal’s engines, we havent gotten to profiles for these games to work, as far as I know.

There is a little trick you can do, though.

Install Reshade into Doom Eternal, particularly we want the “Depth3D by BlueSkyDefender” parts of Reshade.

Launch the game with Reshade, and enable “SuperDepth3d” with Reshade.

Close the game.

Now, this is the tricky part. Vorpx and this game do no play nicely unfortunately, but you can make it work.

You need to launch the game, and as it is loading, enable “Vorpx Desktop Viewer”; you will have to get the timing right because the game will just be put down to the taskbar and youll have to try Alt+tabbing to get it to come back up, or just relaunch. This is somewhat random and takes a few tries to get the hang of it.

But, once you get the game in full screen and your headset is in Vorpx Desktop Viewer and youre seeing the game running, you then go to Vorpx Desktop Viewer’s In Headset Settings and change the Content type to Side by Side.

When you do this, you will want to zoom the image in/out a bit. You will not be able to see the full screen, but thankfully, Doom eternal put much of your important HUD information around the crosshair.

You will have headtracking, but not with any depth. Like you can look up/down/left/right, but cant lean forward, backwards, etc. So, it works with controller or Keyboard/mouse.

Its basically creating a 3d image for you, so the game will be in 3d, but, you just dont have the leaning in and out options.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

TheBalt
    Participant

You also want to have your In Game Resolution matching your Desktop Resolution.

You can force the Alt Tab into Doom Eternal to work sometimes by Alt Tabbing in, then repeatedly hitting the space button as it pops up on screen for a moment.

If you see a black screen during gameplay/cinematics, check that your resolutions are the same in desktop and in game

matteo39
    Participant

Same for Rage

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Am i out of luck with my 21:9 ultrawide monitor? I’d have to use 3840×1600, which is OK i guess, but not ideal with the limited FOV of current VR HMDs. I’d rather use 16:9 in the Desktop Viewer.

TheBalt
    Participant

Am i out of luck with my 21:9 ultrawide monitor? I’d have to use 3840×1600, which is OK i guess, but not ideal with the limited FOV of current VR HMDs. I’d rather use 16:9 in the Desktop Viewer.

I genuinely dont know and I dont want to mislead you. My recommendation, if you tried it and it didnt work, would be changing your Display’s properties to a more typical resolution; not in the game, but in Windows.

This will make the game recognize Resolutions at the setting you “Tell” Windows that your Monitor really is.

Youd do this by Right click desktop – Display Settings – Advanced Display Settings – Display Adapter properties for Display 1 – “List All Modes”; then set it to a typical resolution like 2560×1440, 1920×1080, 3840×2160, etc etc.

Then your monitor will probably have bars on the sides, but the game may let you launch that way.

When youre done with a play session, just pull up the same settings, back to “List All Modes” and choose your Monitor’s actual resolution, which will put everything back as it was before you changed anything.

Somewhat tiresome process to do each time you launch, but, I think thatd work. It may work without changing those settings, but if you cant get it to pull up, thats what Id use as my first step for troubleshooting

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Cool, thanks for the explanation. Made a screenshot for reference – if i run into issues, this could help.

skubi007
    Participant

Has anything been changed by the developers in Doom 2016 in the meantime? Asking because Doom 2016 ran excellently about 3 years ago when I last played it with Vorpx.

TheBalt
    Participant

Has anything been changed by the developers in Doom 2016 in the meantime? Asking because Doom 2016 ran excellently about 3 years ago when I last played it with Vorpx.

As far as I know, due to it being the Vulkan api, none of the profiles on the Vorpx Cloud are actually displaying 3d. Its easy to misconceive this at times due to the immersive nature of having the entire game world in your entire Field of View, but, its not actual rendering the game into 3d.

You could use the instructions I give above for just about any game, if you wanted to test out a regular Vorpx Profile vs Reshade Side by Side 3d w/ Vorpx Desktop Viewer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!