How to turn off the whole 1/2 FPS vsync thing completely

Homepage Forums Technical Support How to turn off the whole 1/2 FPS vsync thing completely

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Electryic
    Participant

On my vive, I can turn off “async” and that prevents the whole “if you drop below 90 FPS at all it cuts the FPS in half down to 45” thing.

Now I have an oculus quest 2, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to shut it off. Any help would be appreciated. In VorpX settings, I am on Oculus as the device, but I am running the game through Steam VR and using Steam VR Runtime.

I know this is there for people who get motion sickness or whatever but it would be very much appreciated if the there was a very basic universal setting at the top of that page that gets rid of it completely no matter what headset your using. I know for Steam VR they call it asynchronous and then there is another big word for it for the Oculus. Please give a way to shut it off completely easily across all headsets without having to be a VR engineer. Gratzi.

Electryic
    Participant

I dont want to have to pick “fast” “safe”, “fast device”, then you turn on Async and that brings up more options. Its great that all t hose options are there for those who want them. I think many of us want to be easily freed of this feature all together.

I am playing a very well optimized game that gives me 150 FPS in 1440p on my monitor with max settings. For some reason I have to drop it all the way down in vorpX to 1280/960 otherwise it drops me to 40 FPS (1/2 of the 80 refresh rate I am using on the Quest 2). I am setting all of it to off off off in the Async page and that usually worked for getting rid of the 1/2 vsync thing for the Vive, for some reason it is not helping in the Quest 2. I am using a wired Oculus Link with 2.4Gbit/sec so I dont think it is anything w/ the cable.
    Thanks for any information on this.

Ralf
    Keymaster

General performance:

G3D costs about 50% of your 2D performance since everything has to be rendered twice (once for each eye). Sometimes the performance impact can be even higher than that, e.g. if a game engine uses lots of draw calls.

On top of the actual 3D performance impact rendering the final result to the headset also takes its toll, typically another ~10%.

Syncing:

Just leave these settings alone if you don’t really know what they mean. They all have default values custom tailored for the various headsets. IIRC there even are tooltips in the menu stating that for the most part the defaults are what you want.

If for your headset, or maybe just for a particular game, FluidSync (the ‘1/2 FPS vsync thing’) is enabled per default, then it is enabled for good reason.

BTW 1: The Oculus runtime may decide to throttle to 40 on its own, no matter how vorpX is configured.

BTW 2: Incidentally, in a galaxy very close to your own, just two weeks ago:
    http://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/a-little-heads-up-for-technical-minded-users/#post-207259

Electryic
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, thats great that you were thinking the same thing. I was disappointed to find that in this particular title I am getting worse performance on the Quest 2 and I was thinking the same thing when I had to start screwing with all the settings on that page to try to figure it out.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Oculus runtime unfortunately has a tendency to throttle to half the headset refresh rate on its own whenever it thinks that makes sense. When that happens, the vorpX FPS counter (ALT+F) would show 40/40 instead of e.g. 60/80. What such a situation means is that although theoretically the game could run with 60fps, it actually can’t because the Oculus runtime throttled the headset framerate (second number in the vorpX FPS counter) to 40.

You can work around that to a degree by disabling Oculus’ ‘Asynchronous Space Warp’ with CTRL+NUMPAD1 after launching a game. Without ASW the Oculus runtime will throttle less often and the headset framerate is more likely to stay at the full headset refresh rate. That’s what you are accustomed to from using your Vive headset, and that’s also how vorpX is supposed to operate ideally.

vintager
    Participant

Does a DirectVR scan have a positive impact on performance?

Ralf
    Keymaster

A DirectVR scan (if available) can only affect performance if FOV is handled via the memory scanner. Since matching the game FOV to your headset‘s FOV typically means raising it, performance may actually be lower though. With a higher FOV more has to be rendered.

You still definitely want to use the DirectVR scanner whenever it is available. For one matching game and headset FOVs are a necessity for FullVR mode, and while the memory scanner may either have no effect on your framerate or even decrease it (if it raises the FOV), it also provides low latency 1:1 head tracking by directly overwriting a game‘s camera position in memory. And that is something you definitely want whenever you can. Depending on the game the difference in head tracking quality compared to mouse emulation can be huge.

TLDR: Not using the DirectVR scanner whenever possible is sheer madness. ;)

Local_Fin
    Participant

So its impossible to disable this feature???

Smoils
    Participant

Open C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe, you need to do it each time you connect to PC, like even if quest disconnects while on standby from airlink you need to launch new debug tool instance and then disable Asynchronous spacewarp in there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!