HP Reverb G2?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion HP Reverb G2?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kazeon
    Participant

Hi everyone. So the fact is, I’m so totally new to VR, well not quite yet even. Actually, I’m currently researching on how to get into these ‘mid-end’ VR stuffs (my last experience was with google cardboard so that doesn’t count).

My goal is to be able to play The Hunter CotW and RDR 2 as immersively as possible. Well even on flat screen those two look breathtaking already, but I want to take it a bit/lot further. So I’m doing my research on which best VR headset in term of graphic, and I found that the G2 is probably the best pick as it’s still somewhat in my budget range.

So the ultimate question is, is vorpx compatible with the G2? How well does it perform? Anyone has ever tried this combination? Can you kindly share your experience? Thanks in advance!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Since OpenXR support was added to vorpX earlier this year I can wholeheartedly recommend the Reverb G2 as one of the top headsets for vorpX. WMR over SteamVR was always a bit iffy with vorpX, but with OpenXR WMR headsets work like a charm.

moarveer
    Participant

Have in mind that apparenytly HP is going to launch an improved G2 : https://uploadvr.com/steam-new-hp-reverb-g2-listing/

This means that either wait for this version, or wait for the old model to get cheaper. If you want it only for Vorpx, bad controller tracking won’t be much of an issue since you can use a gamepad and you can go for the old model, otherwise you should wait, or grab it used for a really cheap price.

Lawrence1962
    Participant

I own a Reverb G2 and i use it with the FrankenFOV Mod extrem and VR Optician lenses and it’s amazing ! Before i bought the Reverb G2 i had a Valve Index and was not sure if i will like the FOV, but with the mod and the lenses it’s fantastic ! The Pimax and the Valve Index have have a worse picture than the Reverb G2, and the Quest 2 has a softer and blurry 4k image and has the same image problems like a movie file which is worse encoded. Except the Varjo HMDs the Reverb G2 has the best image quality, but you have to set very high resolutions in the games to get the full experience. Since i got my Reverb G2 i never play games in lower resolutions than 2160p or 1920p. But not in 16:9, i prefer 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratios and zoom into the image with vorpx, it’s better in the performance.

Important: The Reverb G2 V1 has big problems with AMD x570 and b550 Mainboards and even the controller tracking is not perfect, and there are a few more problems you have to know. I would advise you to buy the Reverb G2 V2 in a few weeks, which fixed all that issues. Have a look into the videos !

Kazeon
    Participant

@Ralf: Thanks for the encouragement!

@moarveer
    : Thank you! I don’t plan to just buy it anytime soon tho, maybe early next year that is. Hopefully the price has already dropped a bit by that time.

@Lawrence1962
    : Wow that’s a lot of information in one post! Thank you so much! I’d like to run my games at full resolution as well. What FPS is your PC able to run at tho? Have you experienced any nausea caused by low FPS? I’m a kind of person who simply go all-in for visual quality even if it costs good frame rate. I’m totally fine with low FPS (~40-ish) on flat screen since motion blur or v-sync usually helps a lot. But I wonder how it will affect my brain in VR. Have you ever experimented on this?

I didn’t expect to get quick replies here. I’m so glad the community seems to be pretty active!

Lawrence1962
    Participant

Many newer Triple A games with dx12, only support Z3D. It has a amazing image quality but is not so much immersive as G3D. Games with dx11 and G3D let you feel, that you really in the world of the game. If you have a game with detailed and high quality motion captured NPCs, you will have the feeling that they are “living people”. If you have motion sickness in the beginning, use Z3D and lower the 3D strength, and increase it step by step.

My goal is to get 45fps, which will be upscaled by vorpx to 90fps. The adjusting screw are graphic details depending on the game and not changing the resolution. My resolution is always nearly 4k (aspect ratios 4:3 or 5:4). And my Antialiasing is always Ultra. I adjust the Texture Settings to the size of my Ram of my graphics card. The Texture setting doesn’t cost performance if you adjust it to the size of your video ram. In many newer G3D games i have to lower the graphic details to medium or low. In Z3D i can play many games in high or ultra. If you have no high-end graphics card you can’t play many newer G3D games in 4k, even not if you lower graphic details to the lowest. In my opinion there are a few games, that are playable in 1440p or 3K, but it’s not the full Reverb G2 experience. In many cases i switch from G3D to Z3D in the game, because i prefer 4k ultra in Z3D instead of G3D in 1440p. But many vorpx user do it anyway, and will contradict me.

Laser
    Participant

In my opinion I don´t think there is a better headset for vorpx than the G2. Im not counting the upcoming Varjo since it costs 3 times more and the vive pro 2 doesn´t currently work properly with vorpx.

The biggest downside of G2 (bad tracking with controllers) doesn´t matter with vorpx since you aren´t using the motion controllers anyway and I upgraded mine with knuckles controllers and lighthouses for native vr games.

I currently have 3900X with 6900XT so you definitely want a higher end pc to fully enjoy G2 with vorpx. But even at lower resolution it still looks better when running at lower resolution since the screen door effect is minimal, compared to lower resolution hmd´s.

Kazeon
    Participant

@Lawrence1962: Well I guess the only way to figure out is to try it directly by myself and try which is better suited for me.

I have this question about FOV in VR. I googled that human eye has around 180 degree FOV (not moving). And sources say that G2 has about 98 degree FOV horizontally. Does that mean that when wearing the headset the screen wouldn’t be able to fill our entire vision? So would it be like seeing a box (screen) surrounded by black areas? I’m a bit confused here.

@Laser
    : glad to hear it! Maybe I will wait for the next iteration of G2 tho as @moarveer mentioned that it might be coming out soon. And yes, I don’t think I will even use the included controller at all.

lokiss88
    Participant

@Kazeon

Controller issues with the G2 are greatly exaggerated. Personally i have about 300hrs playing the likes of No Mans Sky, The Forest, Fallout 4, Skyrim, and numerous smaller titles with zero issues.

The only thing that’s actually bad about them is the awful haptics, which pretty much requires you to turn the feature off. FOV is tricky, more is better obviously, but it’s something very dependent on the game experience. I find it limiting and extremely obvious in flight sims, but not obvious at all when bearing down a race track in the cockpit of a car. General games where you on the centre of the screen you probably won’t notice it, or at least become accustom to it.

It probably is worth waiting on the next iteration though, certainly if you’re routed to a AMD system, or need that extra inside out tracking camera they’re adding to solve generic problems with inside out tracking.

Absolutely a great device for VorpX though. If you have the ability (a 3090) you can crank it up to 3k per eye in steamVR, which makes games that looked poor in VR previously much much better.

Kazeon
    Participant

@lokiss88 no, my PC is not that beefy. It has 3070. And it’s actually able to run graphically demanding games such (as rdr2) decently, even at maxed out settings on 4k resolution. Well at least it’s still very comfortable on flat screen. But right now I can only speculate at how well it would be able to run in VR mode and how my body will react to slightly compromised frame rate in VR.

I hope for the next iteration, HP will learn from Varjo and use the same kind of lens to fix the godray issue with improved sweet spot.

Kazeon
    Participant

So I heard the announcement of some improvements on the G2. But is that it? Wouldn’t it be G3 or something?

Ralf
    Keymaster

They just made some minor changes, it’s not really a different headset.

The original model works fine for vorpX, but if you can wait for a few more weeks, it might be a good idea to do that and then order directly from HP to increase the chance that you really get the newer revision.

Kazeon
    Participant

I can’t purchase it until next year anyway. Let’s see if the G2 is still the king of affordable “clarity” HMD by that time.

CrackerBrand00
    Participant

I’ve had several headsets. I whole heartedly recommend the G2 for games in 3d.. the vr controller compatibility is lackluster compared to the vive headset.. but if you’re looking for other games but in 3d.. G2 is by far, hands down, the BEST option

CrackerBrand00
    Participant

disclaimer: I play games not meant to be VR/3d 98% of the time… made for vr things.. hardly at all.. again.. G2 imo is the top tier under 2000 bucks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!