HTC Vive – Game fps always exactly half of Vive's max refresh rate

Homepage Forums Technical Support HTC Vive – Game fps always exactly half of Vive's max refresh rate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MrThompson
    Participant

Hi,

I have just bought vorpX and tried it with Dirt3 and Dirt Rally. In both game I set graphics settings to absolute minimum and always got 45fps as average and minimum fps.
    It seems to be more an issue than a problem with my PC (i7-4790K + 2*Radeon 290X).

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is intentional. If you are 100% sure that a game can maintain 90fps rock solid on your PC, you can disable FluidSync on the display page of the ingame menu. Otherwise leave everything as it is or you will get heavy judder.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Ralf, are you saying FluidSync caps our fps at 45? How is this helpful?

I’m having similar problem, no matter how low I put the settings in games I’ve tried, I cannot get fps above 45 in the vive. It hits 45, but never above it (and thus inducing the sub 45 black flicker).

Also I’m not getting near the performance I was with DK2 just weeks ago. Using same settings and same resolutions as before, but vive running steamvr is just not even close. Is this your experience as well? Should we expect similar frame rates between the rift and the vive?

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s helpful because it enables async timewarp on the Vive. To be precise a combination of vorpX’s custom async timewarp with OpenVRs interleaved reprojection. On the Vive you pretty much only have the option to run games at 90fps or 45fps with nothing in between without vorpX’s FluidSync. Don’t be concerned about it showing 45fps.

If you are certain a game runs fast enough, you can disable FluidSync, which makes the render pipeline behave like with Oculus. But that makes most sense with rock steady 90fps.

Base performance should be pretty similar, but the Oculus runtime is a lot better in low frame rate situations.

BTW: New recommended resolution for Full VR is 1280×1024 now, no widescreen res anymore.

hapisko
    Participant

How did you get Dirt Rally working?I never succeeded.Please share your secret.
    I mean if you got it working with 3D enabled.

MrThompson
    Participant

That is intentional. If you are 100% sure that a game can maintain 90fps rock solid on your PC, you can disable FluidSync on the display page of the ingame menu. Otherwise leave everything as it is or you will get heavy judder.

Ok I ran the benchmark of Dirt3 with the lowest settings and got 130 minimum fps score. Then I started the game using vorpX and disabled fluid sync but this resulted in 45 fps for both, game fps and for the HMD itself. :(

I have played with the other settings on this settings page but no combination resulted in higher game fps.

@hapisko

Because low fps results in motion sickness for me I currently ignored the stereoscopic 3D mode.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX renders everything twice and also has additional overhead that further reduces the frame rate. Benchmarks done on a monitor are pretty much useless due to this. Do not be concerned about the 45fps. They actually are not 45fps in your headset as vorpX adds additional frames via asynchronous timewarp.

If you are sure that a game runs fast enough, you can disable FluidSync as said above, which will allow them to run with the full 90fps that your headset uses. That does make most sense for games that can run with rock steady 90fps (with vorpX!).

Paulob
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    I just started using Vorpx myself and in reading stuff while setting it up for older games I’m finding VR or Vorpx can’t handle high settings so if you have a brand new spanking PC or Graphic card for VR the game most likely set Video settings high as Vorpx can’t handle it to get better FPS try lowering the graphic settings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!