HTC Vive Pro 2 or Pimax 8KX – Which one is the best to Syrim LE?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion HTC Vive Pro 2 or Pimax 8KX – Which one is the best to Syrim LE?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    brown66
    Participant

Owner of the Vive Pro 1 here!

My Vive Pro is almost 4 years old, with several thousands hours of use in Skyrim LE and I have the feeling that I must run to find a replacement, because it won’t last forever!

I love the colours in the Vive Pro, the great contrast, the great overall image quality I can get now (with a i7-10700K + RTX 3090), but I hate (I always hated…) the small FOV, even using a 6 mm face cushion from Kiwi. And I’m also a little tired of the SDE, specially when looking at the far end or at very small objects.

And so come the questions…

1 – Has anyone already use the HTC Vive Pro 2 or the Pimax 8KX to play Skyrim LE with Vorpx?

2 – If yes, could anyone say what is his/her experience, especially compared to the previous VR headset? And what was the previous headset?

There is many people talking about these two VR headsets in internet, but I see a lot of different opinions, many of them totally different from one to the other, and almost none specifically about Skyrim LE with Vorpx.

Is there any good soul that could give a help?…

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Really, just make the leap to Skyrim VR; sure it’s ‘not supported’ but the modding community has, as usual, come through a made a great game out of a buggy Bethesda mess.

But if you *have* to stay with Skyrim LE then keep in mind that the Pimax (I have an 8K-X myself), while very, very good, is also a PITA. I mean, in terms of clarity, IF you can push at least the native resolution, it’s downright incredible; it’s as good or better than anything else out there except for the Varjo (but that has a tiny FOV). There is effectively zero SDE. I mean, if you go out of the way to really look for it you can kind of see it, but that’s it. It’s basically not there. The FOV is of course the killer feature, and that’s also awesome. But just like people will tell you ‘don’t drive a Porsche unless you can own a Porsche’ it’s kind of the same situation: Once you get used to a wider FOV you’ll find other HMDs to be totally unacceptable. Additionally there is an extra software layer to control things (PiTool) so it adds an entire layer of complications.

If you really have to have FOV, there is no other option, and I love mine, especially in Assetto Corsa, Alyx, etc. (games that run really well). In other titles it’s not a great of course, because they don’t run smoothly enough to use Wide FOV. Note that even “Normal” FOV is larger than anything else out there, and even “Small” is wider FOV than some. So you don’t have to push “Wide” you can go “Normal” and probably be perfectly happy.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Arg, the edit window ran out on that one. To answer your two questions directly, I’ve worn quite a few HMDs for short periods of time: Index, Vive Pro (not 2), Rift etc, but have never owned an HMD with a standard FOV or used one for more than a few hours at a time.

In order to get the clarity and use a decent FOV you’ll need a very fast machine. So, in the end, my suggestion is probably ‘don’t go with the Pimax unless you really want that wide FOV experience.’

brown66
    Participant

Thank you very much for the answer!

By the way, I have the Skyrim VR, but I prefer the original 32 bits version with VorpX (because of some mods and also some solutions that Bethesda used to port this game to VR that I don’t like). And I play always seated, with keyboard and mouse. That’s why the image quality in Skyrim is so important to me.

I have an i7-10700K and the RTX3090. I’m also aware that this hardware maybe short to run this game, even at the Normal FOV, but I’m used to playing with few FPS in some exterior areas.

Lawrence1962
    Participant

In my opinion the Vive Pro 2 is crap, buy a Valve Index or a Pimax 8KX or Varjo if you want a very big FOV ! If you want a payable solution buy HP Reverb G2 V2 with a FOV Mod and if necessary VR Optician Lenses !

brown66
    Participant

Lawrence1962

Thanks for your post! It brings a very important point to me.

I had already seen these two videos. These and many more, including this other one, which describe a different experience from the same HTC Vive Pro 2:

It’s from a small and unknown YouTuber channel, and I know, from my original HTC Vive and also (and specially) from the HTC Vive Pro 1, that changing the original tick face cushion to a thinner one, makes a great difference in FOV and sweet spot in these headsets. These and running the game at the very high resolution possible, even a way higher than the VR headset original resolution.

That’s the small kind of information that the great YouTubers many times don’t tell you, but that is very important (at least to me…) to make a barely accepted experience in VR on to a great VR experience!

Also, I’m tired to see some this great YouTubers don’t tell you some weakness from a VR headset, until they make a review from a new one, been this new one from the same manufacturer or another one.

Let me give you an example (and there are so many like this one!)…

Sebastian Ang, from the MRTV channel, praises a lot the new Varjo Aero, with a fantastic resolution. I believe that’s entirely true, but why he doesn’t also make a so great warning about the very small FOV from this headset, which looks like to be the same size of some VR headsets from six years ago?

That’s the main reason I created this topic where. I’m looking for people who have a Pimax 8KX or the HTC Vive Pro 2 and already has tried it to play Skyrim LE with VorpX. I usually trust more the opinions of this kind of people.

About the HP Reverb G2, I also have view YouTube videos and read a lot of reviews. It looks to be a very good headset, specially for the price, but I excluded it mainly because of the small FOV, even with the FOV mod installed. Also, I don’t like to see so many people saying that it has a small sweet spot.

For me, it’s out of question to go to a new VR headset with a smaller FOV or even a FOV with the same size from what I got now with the HTC Vive Pro with a thinner (6 mm) face cushion installed. Add to this the fact that the Vive Pro is OLED, and you start to understand why I’m still using an VR headset from almost 4 years ago.

Again, thanks for your message!

kia75
    Participant

I have a Vive Pro 2. I like it and IMO I’m getting my money’s worth from it. My advice is don’t buy anything right now.

This year Micro-Oled HMD’s should be released. The Arpara 5k tethered and the Shiftfall MeganeX should be here in March with a higher resolution and Micro-oled colors, and HMD’s that are both smaller and lighter than anything we currently have. Those are the only announced HMD’s, SadleyItsBradley keeps on hinting that better Micro-Oled HMD’s are around the corner but can’t be specific because of NDA’s.

If you’ve waited 4 years to upgrade, why not wait another month? I would have recommended buying a Vive Pro 2 last June, but I can’t recommend it right now. I want to reccomend a MeganeX, but with no reviews yet, I can’t. But at least one of the Micro-Oled HMD’s poised to release this year should be a good buy!

brown66
    Participant

Of course that I can wait!

I’ve seen two videos on YouTube about the Arpara 5K and the problem with this helmet it looks to be the reduced FOV and the image with little brightness.

I was unaware that there were more VR headsets to come out with Micro-Oled displays. I’ll be paying attention to them.

Thank you for the information!

brown66
    Participant

Of course that I can wait!

I’ve seen two videos on YouTube about the Arpara 5K and the problem with this helmet it looks to be the reduced FOV and the image with little brightness.

I was unaware that there were more VR headsets to come out with Micro-Oled displays. I’ll be paying attention to them.

Thank you for the information!

I’m embarrassed to say it, but I couldn’t wait any longer!

I already ordered a Pimax 8KX!

I’ve been reading some stuff on the internet about the new VR headsets that looks like they’re going to come out this year, or the next one, with the new Micro-OLED screens, and it looks like pretty much all of them will have a small FOV. This is out of the question for me! For that, I would stick with my old HTC Vive Pro, until it gives its soul to the Creator.

After receiving the Pimax 8KX, I will leave here the testimony of how it is to play Skyrim LE with VorpX, and the comparison with the old HTC Vive Pro will be inevitable, since it is my reference and I will keep it. I feel like I’m going to start crying again for a more powerful graphics card…

Anyway, thank you very much for those who helped me to reach a decision!

brown66
    Participant

Struggling to find the best image quality, without completely crush the computer.

By the way, the game image quality at 8K it’s phenomenal!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!