Huge performance changing new steamVR feature !

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Huge performance changing new steamVR feature !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    steph12
    Participant

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1696061565016280495

this is huge, i’m going to try it very soon, finally some love from valve for htc vive.

only works on windows 10 + nvidia gpu right now !

maybe that will help to have better performance using vorpx as well specially in G3D mode :D

Baktus
    Participant

Ohh, hopefully i can play Half live two in full Vorpx VR with my system specs?!!!

Noo, not with oculus rift ):

“Motion Smoothing is not enabled when using Oculus Rift or Windows Mixed Reality headsets with SteamVR, because their underlying display drivers use different techniques when applications miss framerate”.

steph12
    Participant

oculus rift has ASW already which is basically the same feature.

RJK_
    Participant

If that doesnt conflict with VorpX because as far i understood vorpx already produces additional frames below certain framerates. Someone tested that already ?

Hope thats not the end of windows 7 compatibility, VorpX side.

steph12
    Participant

i have just tried with the game i play actually, not officially supported by vorpx, dragon quest 11 in Z3D, this new feature produces some graphical glitches every now and then but seems to work quiet well otherwise.

but i really need to test it further with many more games using vorpx.

that feature has great feedback from various users all over reddit, and yeah that sucks that it’s only for win10 :/ maybe they will make it available on previous windows versions in the future who knows ?

RJK_
    Participant

I was a little afraid that Ralf needs to adapt VorpX to that, if that was the case, Win7 and 8 could may be not supported any further.

The good thing, the option can be switched on and off, so Win10 useres can “optionally” use it, others just dont.

Besides i never hurry to install the newest stuff, only when it becomes necessary.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I haven’t tried yet, but I don’t think this will have much of an impact on vorpX. I’ll check later today though to be extra sure not to tell nonsense.

Personally I’m not really a fan of these ‘Space Warp’ techniques, which are more or less the same thing as motion smooting on your TV with a fancy new name BTW. They are bit better in terms of smoothing positional movement, but the price you pay is a tendency for glitches similar to the ones you might know from your TV: wobbling, unsteady artifacts with small details and pattern structures in an image. Especially bad in VR since quite often prominently visible with HUDs and similar things.

The ‘traditional’ way of inserting additional frames for VR only covers rotation, but by design doesn’t come with such artifacts. Many will probably disagree, but IMO that’s the better approach.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I thought steam reprojection was pretty much already doing this.

From the early testing I’ve read form Pimax forums, it seems to cap your game fps at 45, then reproject to 90. Sounds similar to vorpX fluid sync.

Would be great news for demanding vorpX games if it does work some magic though.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Steam reprojection is what I meant with the ‘traditional’ approach. Works great for rotation (which is most important), but doesn’t smooth positional changes. vorpX could always utilize that and even has its own implementation, which is normally used unless you force the HMD thread to be in sync with the game thread.

This ‘new’ approch – more or less the same motion vector based smoothing that TVs have for ages – also covers position, but comes with a tendency for more obvious visual artifacts. The major difference to TVs is that they try to predict motion vectors one or two frames ahead to make it lag free, which in terms of potential artifacts makes things even worse.

steph12
    Participant
    RJK_
    Participant

Ah Great, seems Win7 isnt about to die out yet ;-)

dellrifter22
    Participant

“Fixed an issue where some customers had async reprojection disabled (and therefore, motion smoothing disabled) due to an incompatibility introduced between the beta and non-beta branches”

I wonder if this explains the sporadic Direct mode fps I’ve been seeing this week, on the new steamvr update 1539100633 (not the betas). Ralf, did you notice anything?

Where typically reprojection will always keep Direct mode at constant 60 fps in my Pimax, instead I was getting numbers all over the place. What’s more, I was getting lower Direct fps than Game fps, which has never been the case before.

I don’t know if the update broke async reprojection, or simply toggled it on. But in tonights testing I noticed that this sporadic fps goes away when I uncheck “Allow asynchronous reprojection” in developer settings.

To get the desired Direct 60 fps, I must turn off steamvr async reprojection, but leave on async repro in vorpX menu.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else noticed this, or if it was just coincidence.

Jey123456
    Participant

While i dont believe the new smoothing movement stuff actually activated for me, even without that my frametime drastically lowered when i switched to the beta and gaming using vorpx became even more enjoyable.

I’m honestly not sure if the smoothing movement feature worked and just did not display as such in my steamvr window or if its other optimisations that happened to affect me but i am happy with the result none the less.

dborosev
    Participant

I’ve read that they’ve done other serious optimizations and changes as well that are always on even without the smoothing. Others have noticed it too.

broksampson
    Participant

@ralf
    Does vorpx in face, have a way to use steamvr reprojection and motion smoothing?

Also, while artifacts may happen it’s actually not too often. And if I had to choose between that or dropped frames/judder/low fps. I’d choose smooth motion with artifacts in a heartbeat. Positional space warp sounds cool too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!