Valve Index Impressions

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Valve Index Impressions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Usually I intentionally don’t talk much about individual headset pros and cons since I think depending on personal preferences any headset available today can be a valid choice for one or the other reason. In case of the Index however I’d like to make an exception since it does something special that makes it a really good headset for vorpX: the 120/144Hz refresh rate.

While you probably won’t be able to reach full 120fps in most newer games, reprojected 60/120Hz, which are usually easier to achieve than full 90fps, feel very close to 90fps with other headsets and a lot better than 45/90. Actually a surprisingly big difference that can make playing demanding games more enjoyable.

So if you are considering to buy a new headset and aren’t on a tight budget, I can safely recommend the Index as an excellent choice with vorpX in mind for the higher refresh rate alone.

Think twice though if you already have a headset that you are satisfied with.

jjensson
    Participant

So i take it, you have received yours, Ralf?
    NVM: I saw the other thread. Thx for the headsup!

RJK_
    Participant

I am very curious about how the lenses are compared to the Vive.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There are dozens of reviews and comparisons on the internet from people who do these things professionally and way better than I ever could. Probably better to check these reviews for more in-depth information. I just wanted to point out the one thing above since it directly affects vorpX.

RJK_
    Participant

I see, google is not too far away

Kranky Pantz
    Participant

120Hz/144Hz would be incredible for sim racing.
    Would need a beast of a GPU+CPU to attain that with nice gfx settings.

marcob
    Participant

Does the valve index have wireless connection to the pc ?

benzoylperoxide
    Participant

I’m interested in the comfort factor because I’m finding myself spending a lot more time in VR thanks to Vorpx. Like hours!

buckjohnston
    Participant

I can also confirm rocket league looks amazing on the index at 120hz in vorpx.

The only issue is I have to use expert mode and turn async render off, then on again when in the game to get the full 120fps or it caps at 60. Even if it’s off when I start the game.

This is a recent occurance I have noticed since the recent vorpx updates even before I got the index.

Other than that the overall image is amazing. I could only really notice the 120hz and 144hz when playing smooth locomotion games but man is it nice!

dborosev
    Participant

Nice that all these amazing headsets are coming out. I just wish games would be able to keep pace. 99% of my reason for loving VorpX so much is due to the fact that there are so few really AAA VR games out. Seems like it’ll be a long uphill grind until it hits critical mass.

jjensson
    Participant

I agree that VorpX is what saves VR for me, for the time being. Almost none of the current native VR games is interesting to me. I’m not interested in demos, wave shooters and short experiences. I want long story driven games, expansive RPGs with exploration, things like Mass Effect, The Witcher, Skyrim, Half-Life (2), Unreal etc etc. We’ll have to wait for those for sure, but at least 2019 shows that VR is gaining speed now.

HAX0R3D
    Participant

Would Windows MR 60hz mode be the same thing? Thinking of getting an HP Revern…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!