Intel kernel memory leak flaw and VorpX

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Intel kernel memory leak flaw and VorpX

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

So the past decade of intel CPUs have a nasty vulnerability in them that can only be patched with a operating system software update. I have an i7-6700k CPU. Since VorpX is pretty CPU bound, how badly will this update affect performance? The software fix is supposedly global and won’t just negatively affect virtualization. Tasks such as draw calls will be affected.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The patch for the Intel-CPU-flaw will mostly impact applications with many I/O operations, disk/database access and similar things. Gaming performance apparently is not affected much, if at all. Probably nothing to worry about.

This article has a few initial (Linux) pre/post-patch gaming benchmarks.

markbradley1982
    Participant

The patch for the Intel-CPU-flaw will mostly impact applications with many I/O operations, disk/database access and similar things. Gaming performance apparently is not affected much, if at all. Probably nothing to worry about.

This article has a few initial (Linux) pre/post-patch gaming benchmarks.

So are things like draw calls to the GPU not considered syscalls?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t have any other info on this than anybody else at this point. Before MS releases the patch, it’s impossible to say anything Windows specific.

However, the benchmarks in the article linked above show virtually zero impact in all games that were tested. Those were Linux/OpenGL tests, so some uncertainty remains, but I wouldn’t expect much of a difference on Windows. Don’t worry.

I’m sure we’ll see plenty of Windows gaming benchmarks as soon as MS patches Windows.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!