Is it possible to merge Fallout 4 VR and Fallout 4 vorpX?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Is it possible to merge Fallout 4 VR and Fallout 4 vorpX?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vrmax
    Participant

It may seem like an odd question, but what I would really love to play is Fallout 4 using vorpX but with the UI from Fallout 4 VR.

To me Fallout 4 vorpX is the superior version because it has full controller support, all mods and all DLC works and most importantly you can play in third person. The only thing that it’s lacking is that the menus and text are hard to use as the game wasn’t designed to be played in VR.

From what I’ve seen, the only thing Fallout 4 does better than Fallout 4 in vorpX is a proper user interface. So if somehow I could play Fallout 4 in vorpX with the UI from Fallout 4 VR and nothing else, that would be amazing.

grumdark
    Participant

To be totally objective there are some advantages and disadvantages in each of them. Both have pros and cons.

Native Fallout4 VR, you can uncouple head / neck while walking, which is a bit more realistic in this sense, and allows you to look, fight, distract, with the environment a bit easier when you focus sideways along the way.
    In the case of Vorpx, you always walk to the side where your eyesight focuses.

Vorpx and Fallout 4 normal version, allows in addition to standard control xbox one / 360 e.t.c. , allows you to map buttons and stick for motion controllers like touch and Vive wands,
    which allows a preferred advantage for me, to adjust smooth movement in the right control, this avoids the obligation to keep the stick pressed to simply rotate angles (CV1 touch and Xbox control).

Fallout4 VR Native, allows full natural movement to aim with weapons during combat, watch the pitboy on your wrist, and small interactions with objects in the world. By contra Vorpx uses here the controls of static arms logically.

Vorpx and Fallout4 normal version, has arms and hands, which is pleasing to the eye and immersion.

We could continue to increase pros and cons, for each of them, for a long time, if you are a good observer.

In an almost perfect world, I would prefer to use the normal Fallout 4 version + DLC, with the official VR support files inside, which is possible and works after some steps (there is a method), but I still need some fixes that only Vorpx for the Moment contains, button and stick mapping completely to my liking and need, some arrangements for shader etc

If it were possible to obtain an option in the next Vorpx update, to mix Vorpx with the official support VR, the other normal modified with these files, and Vorpx being able to choose one or the other, would be just perfect, because it could take advantage of some control mappings with Cv1 + touch.

grumdark
    Participant

PD: I only add that personally, I have supported the purchase of the version with official VR support, because I hope that other triple A games will possibly arrive, with VR support in the future.

On the other hand, I have also bought Vorpx for a long time ago, and will support the purchase of any new functionality for Vorpx even if it requires the purchase with money for this program, from the first minute.

For me, the reasons of interest to support both, are many and too important to dispense with any of these.

dborosev
    Participant

Fallout 4 vorpx is better because it has controller support? You know your vive has wands which are vastly superior to gamepads for VR right?

vrmax
    Participant

To be totally objective there are some advantages and disadvantages in each of them. Both have pros and cons.

Absolutely there are pros and cons to each. Which is why I think it would be great if it was possible to combine elements of each, and to hopefully do the same when Skyrim VR gets an official PC release.

Your post does bring up several good points of each of them.

To me I strongly prefer to use a normal controller as that is what I’m just used to, especially for a game like Fallout.

In my experience trying to give a game a more robust controller system actually limits what the game can accomplish.

Native Fallout4 VR, you can uncouple head / neck while walking, which is a bit more realistic in this sense, and allows you to look, fight, distract, with the environment a bit easier when you focus sideways along the way.
    In the case of Vorpx, you always walk to the side where your eyesight focuses.

Vorpx and Fallout 4 normal version, allows in addition to standard control xbox one / 360 e.t.c. , allows you to map buttons and stick for motion controllers like touch and Vive wands,
    which allows a preferred advantage for me, to adjust smooth movement in the right control, this avoids the obligation to keep the stick pressed to simply rotate angles (CV1 touch and Xbox control).

Fallout4 VR Native, allows full natural movement to aim with weapons during combat, watch the pitboy on your wrist, and small interactions with objects in the world. By contra Vorpx uses here the controls of static arms logically.

Vorpx and Fallout4 normal version, has arms and hands, which is pleasing to the eye and immersion.

We could continue to increase pros and cons, for each of them, for a long time, if you are a good observer.

In an almost perfect world, I would prefer to use the normal Fallout 4 version + DLC, with the official VR support files inside, which is possible and works after some steps (there is a method), but I still need some fixes that only Vorpx for the Moment contains, button and stick mapping completely to my liking and need, some arrangements for shader etc

If it were possible to obtain an option in the next Vorpx update, to mix Vorpx with the official support VR, the other normal modified with these files, and Vorpx being able to choose one or the other, would be just perfect, because it could take advantage of some control mappings with Cv1 + touch.

Good points all around.

End yes, I would also gladly pay for the official VR version of Fallout 4. Just not $60.

vrmax
    Participant

Fallout 4 vorpx is better because it has controller support? You know your vive has wands which are vastly superior to gamepads for VR right?

I don’t have a Vive, only an Oculus which isn’t fully supported. But if the game did have full controller support everybody on Oculus could play it now.

As for the Vive wands being better, one of the major complaints with the game is that the controls are bad and that’s with the wands.

Many many people would prefer to use a basic controller for Fallout 4 as the wands don’t really make things any better and introduce more complications.

Odencrantz
    Participant

First, I have a Vive and Fallout 4 VR, and I use the wands and they work awesome! No complaints here at all. Not knocking any other controllers, but they definitely work great in Fallout 4 VR

Second, why would anyone use Vorpx with Fallout 4 VR? Vorpx is for when there “IS NO” true VR support. Vorpx is the best $40 piece of software you can buy for VR – hands down – but this is the specific case to NOT use Vorpx.

prinyo
    Participant

For me the controls in the port are terrible (using the Vive controllers). Looting is very annoying as you always need to hit the exact center of the touchpad. Too many times I have moved unexpectedly instead of looting which is quite confusing at first. I would have preferred to switch the functionality of the center touchpad press and the grip buttons, would have been way better.
    It is obvious this port was released almost untested, but the usability of the controls when using free locomotion was obviously completely untested.
    Using the favorites is also a nightmare.
    You need to constantly stare at the controllers in VR in order to accomplish simple tasks. There is no other VR experience with such unfriendly controls that constantly take you out of the experience. I really have the feeling whoever ported the game believes that VR is a gimmick and hence created a very gimicky – in every regard, port.

I have the feeling that this control scheme was suggested by HTC as it is a heavy touchpad breaker.

nieda113
    Participant

There is no need for vorpx if u play FO4VR.Its a vr native game. Its nonsense to compare the native FO4 vr controlls with the ones from vorpx,, its just a different game. As with all games, u need to get to used to on how the controlls work unless u remap all keys and controlls to ur liking and use one custom contoll key map for all ur games…. quite a big work though….
    BTW is the FO4 VR comparable to the G3D experience vorpx provides?

prinyo
    Participant

I’m not comparing the controls between VorpX and FO4VR. I’m comparing them between FO4VR and all other VR games.
    The controls of FO4VR are bad as you can’t simply “get used” to them. Fighting with the controls is part of the FO4 experience regardless how long you play. The biggest problem is that the most used functionality is mapped to the very center of the trackpad – interaction, looting, speaking, pip-boy – for all those things you need to hit a very narrow circle at the center of the touchpad. And quite often you cant do that without staring at the controller. It feels like a constant minigame within the game.

vrmax
    Participant

For me the controls in the port are terrible (using the Vive controllers). Looting is very annoying as you always need to hit the exact center of the touchpad. Too many times I have moved unexpectedly instead of looting which is quite confusing at first. I would have preferred to switch the functionality of the center touchpad press and the grip buttons, would have been way better.
    It is obvious this port was released almost untested, but the usability of the controls when using free locomotion was obviously completely untested.
    Using the favorites is also a nightmare.
    You need to constantly stare at the controllers in VR in order to accomplish simple tasks. There is no other VR experience with such unfriendly controls that constantly take you out of the experience. I really have the feeling whoever ported the game believes that VR is a gimmick and hence created a very gimicky – in every regard, port.

I have the feeling that this control scheme was suggested by HTC as it is a heavy touchpad breaker.

Sheesh. Sounds like a nightmare to play. Wait, you did use that word.

Bethesda just broke what didn’t need fixing.

vrmax
    Participant

There is no need for vorpx if u play FO4VR.Its a vr native game.

Seems like you didn’t read my opening post.

Its nonsense to compare the native FO4 vr controlls with the ones from vorpx,, its just a different game.

No, it’s not. It’s Fallout 4 with a reworked control scheme a new user interface and camera view point. There are reports going on that the VR version has a difference of only 80 MB from the base game.

My final case, Skyrim VR lets you play the game with a DS4 or the Move controller. It’s commonly accepted that the DS4 is the best way to play the game as that is how Skyrim was originally designed.

As with all games, u need to get to used to on how the controlls work unless u remap all keys and controlls to ur liking and use one custom contoll key map for all ur games…. quite a big work though….
    BTW is the FO4 VR comparable to the G3D experience vorpx provides?

nieda113
    Participant

i see but u did not coment on the G3D thing….like to know tha as well

THX

prinyo
    Participant

To me personally it doesn’t feel like G3D, but I haven’t done a side by side comparison.

nieda113
    Participant

thas what i expected.. because nothing beats vorpx in its G3D setting. I have an awfull lot of games i played SBS with helix mods. Those were based on the nvidia 3dplay, unfortunately the resolution is 1920X1024 @24 hz or 1020X740 @60hz but undoubtable the stereo effect is superb like vorpx one. So native vr games with no G3D like visualization are not worth playing for me. I remember back those days with DK1 and skyrim (and a few other games) that the world looks coool because the castles were when you would look up to them like high rise buildings and when you look down a mountain you almost get a heart attack and the people in game were as tall as real people.
    But i like the G3D effect much more its like moving toy figures around and the environment is like a 3d phantasy
    Playing dying light is fighting lifelike tall zombies…. …only my view….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!