Is It Possible to Record 360 Video of Gameplay

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Is It Possible to Record 360 Video of Gameplay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brummer
    Participant

Sorry if this has already been asked!

I’m trying to figure out if its possible to record 360 video footage of gameplay. I know you can use things like OBS to record flat videos of VR gameplay but I am trying to get the full 360 degrees (or at least 180) so that I can upload it to Youtube and be able to look around like any other 360 video.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Games only render the field of view that you actually see, they don’t provide the means to render a 360° spherical projection. The perspective projection used in games also only works up to 180°, and even that – quite literally – is already a stretch.

If you would render a game with the maximum per view 180° FOV instead of the correct headset FOV the image would be heavily warped/zoomed out in your headset while playing. Also you would have to convert the recorded video to a (semi-)spherical projection in post, which – to make matters worse – wouldn’t even work well from a single image rendered at 180°.

What you would actually have to do is either reimplementing a game’s renderer so that it does spherical projection directly or rendering multiple perspective views with a smaller FOV at the same time and then stitching those together and convert them to spherical projection. Both things are entirely out of vorpX’s realm. Also both would be quite slow.

Smoils
    Participant

Nvidia tools let you capture 360 videos(not sure) and photos(sure) of games that support their tech, like witcher 3 or mirrors edge for example, but its a handful of games that support it

…Ah it seems its only screenshots https://blog.kuula.co/360-game-screenshots-howto

but people have recorded 360 videos of gameplay so it is possible https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/lwrluj/how_to_record_make_videos_to_be_360vr/

but its worth to mention: a) it will be very demanding to render game in 360 like ralf said, b) even more so in vr, c) most importantly it will look like shit if you try to watch it back in vr, you need something like 4-8k and 4k is bare minimum looking quite blurry, video file will be enormous, not many players would be able to play it back without stuttering horribly.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s not gameplay recording. That’s a photomode camera mode doing this:

…multiple perspective views with a smaller FOV at the same time and then stitching those together and convert them to spherical projection…

also:

…entirely out of vorpX’s realm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!