Is there one game?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Is there one game?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    benplace
    Participant

Name one game that works with geometry 3d and looks great out of the box. Is there any?
    I tried to get GTA 5 to work but my head would drift to where I was eventually looking up at the sky physically but looking forward in game. It seems like all games only half way work and thats even after tweaking and running all kinds of mods etc…

Ralf
    Keymaster

Do not tweak too much. While there are many options available, the only two things that absolutely must be addressed are field of view (FOV) to get a natural image and head tracking sensitivity for proper 1:1 tracking.

Popular games that are usually considered working well are for example: Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Fallout 4 (G3D probably too slow on most PCs though), Borderlands 1 + 2, Portal 2.

In general you should be able to get almost any first person game working to a satisfactory level by adjusting FOV and head tracking sensitivity.

The vorpX help also has a short guide describing a quick and dirty setup that works with almost everything very quick (“The 1-2-3 Game Setup”). It usually doesn’t provide the best possible result, but gets everything to a playable state.

Marco
    Participant

Mirrror’s Edge, Outlast, The Darkness 2, Aliens Colonial Marines, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite works great with Geometry and positional tracking support (the ones i have). I would dare saying they look like native Vr on a good rig. Others like Dead Space 3 still kick ass with Geometry but have no positional tracking.

Nitro
    Participant

I tried different settings on Borderlands 2.

First of all: Geometry-Mode is flickering, can’t play with that option

And second: I can’t see any option for “real VR”. I was thinking, that with Ego-Games like BL2 VorpX works like a real VR Game.?? Instead beeing in the middle of the action, I am still sitting for a large Wall with Stereo3d popups. (when I reduce the image Zoom, the wall appears in front of me like in “Theater-Mode”.
    In Real VR i would expect, that the sorrounding will still be 3D-Graphics when I change the FOV or something. It’s not. Where is my mistake?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you are using a Vive, you need to make sure that games run at 45fps+ at all times. The OpenVR runtime does not work well with frame rates below that. You should see a warning about this normally. The Oculus runtime is quite a bit better at this.

All you need to do for full VR mode is disabling Virtual Cinema Mode (shouldn’t be on per default for Borderlands 2) and (important!) set the field of view (FOV) to 120°, which in case of BL2 can be done with the vorpX Game Optimizer in the config app. With the FOV set to 120 you do not need to change the image zoom.

If that is the case you are “inside” the game and can look around just like with native VR apps.

Nitro
    Participant

If you are using a Vive, you need to make sure that games run at 45fps+ at all times. The OpenVR runtime does not work well with frame rates below that. You should see a warning about this normally. The Oculus runtime is quite a bit better at this.

All you need to do for full VR mode is disabling Virtual Cinema Mode (shouldn’t be on per default for Borderlands 2) and (important!) set the field of view (FOV) to 120°, which in case of BL2 can be done with the vorpX Game Optimizer in the config app. With the FOV set to 120 you do not need to change the image zoom.

If that is the case you are “inside” the game and can look around just like with native VR apps.

Hey Ralf. Thanks for your quick reply. This is an amazing support.

FPS/Flickering: You are right, I’ve got this fps warning with the vive, ignored it – my fault. Will check that later with lower settings.

VR: The problem is, I can’t see the HUD, so I have to zoom out to play well. When I zoom out, I see the same “flat screen” like in the cinema-mode. I am not in the middle any more.
    yeah, maybe I’m too nobish with this tool, but would like to understand it :-).
    I used the optimizer, it’s a FOV of 120. Any Chance to get the HUD more in the middle without zoom out?

Nitro
    Participant

P.S.: I mean the ingame HUD. Not the VORPX-Overlay

Ralf
    Keymaster

If vorpX allows to scale a game’s HUD, you can find the according options (scale and depth) on the image page of the vorpX ingame menu.

For games without a scalable HUD you can use vorpX’s EdgePeek mode (press the mouse wheel) while playing.

Marco
    Participant

If the image is flickering u should disable asyncronous render, at least this is what i do. (vive)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!