Just an idea about cinema/theater modeā€¦

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Just an idea about cinema/theater mode…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Karlor
    Participant

What about maybe having a few choices for the 3D environment? Maybe like a post apocalyptic type setting, cyber punk setting, steam punk setting, butt-plug punk setting, wooded forest, snowy mountain, island resort what ever strikes your fancy. Maybe down the road even some sort of template for people to import or upload user made environments.

Karlor
    Participant

Watching movies on the bridge view screen from the captains chair of the Enterprise would be pretty awesome. A drive-in style setting might be cool to.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Enterprise bridge probably would require a license from CBS or Paramount, so I don’t really see that happen. Other environments *may* follow, we’ll see. The video player support in vorpX does not have the highest priority though.

There are quite a few dedicated VR video player apps out there that do the basic job almost as well, probably indistingishuable to most people, and will always have a few advantages over an injection based solution in other areas, like being able to provide a full UI in VR and similar things.

Karlor
    Participant

Oh yeah I figured it couldn’t be called the enterprise and all that but something like that would be cool :) I was thinking more for playing then watching, like say your into creepy games you could have a scary basement youre sitting in while you play lol or like a galaxy type setting if youre playing something like that. Or a nuked out living room while you play Fallout 4 on a 1950s TV. Anyway just something to maybe think about down the road.

NipOc
    Participant

Maybe stereo cubemaps would do the trick.
    They look as good as models (without positional tracking though) and there are already many created (Star Trek/Space themed too).

Ralf
    Keymaster

That will be easy enough. Not as nice as full blown scenes with dynamic lighting, but still a good thing for everyone who likes to have different environments. Also good for gaming purposes where every extra polygon in an evironment diminishes the game performance. Probably won’t make it into 0.9, but I’ll definitely look into it afterwards.

Vamplifire
    Participant

I would love to see a bigger screen. Like movie theater size ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!