Just got Vorpx, can't even start it

Homepage Forums Technical Support Just got Vorpx, can't even start it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ZeeMox
    Participant

Added an exclusion to Windows Defender, no dice. The config doesn’t crash or give me an error anything, just total radio silence after launching the app. Checking my processes in task manager shows that it’s running, but there is no application or taskbar icon to interact with.

Got it for use with an HTC Vive.

AccessDenied
    Participant

This is the 3rd day I’ve been attempting to get ANYTHING to work on VorpX with my Vive. I’ll be sure to contact you if I figure out how to get mine working. All the advice, the FAQ’s,t he 1-2-3 tips, nothing has been helpful. Nothing has worked. I’m really starting to feel like I got taken for $40. :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

As mentioned in your earlier thread: if the things in the trouble shooting guide do not help, please try to start a few games, then create a trouble shoot data archive in the vorpX config app and send it to support |at| vorpx com. I will then check whether I can find something that you may have overlooked.

ZeeMox
    Participant

Hey Ralf,

Thanks for the response. I don’t have an earlier thread (that was my first post on this forum), but I did send a support mail earlier with pretty much the same content. My problem is I am not even able to start the config app, so gathering any data from it isn’t possible.

After a couple restarts and doing the Defender thing I did finally get the desktop app to start and can now register the product, so I’ll start there and see if the config/any games will work after that.

AccessDenied – Appreciate it! The site is pretty clear that Vive support is in beta and likely to not be that functional but I was hoping I would at least be able to start the application :P

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry for the confusion. The ‘earlier thread’ part of the answer was for AccessDenied.

ZeeMox
    Participant

No big. Anyway, the problem is solved. It appears what was going down is that the config will not start before the product is registered, and when the desktop app failed to start, I couldn’t register, hence, no config. I’m all registered now.

Haven’t had a ton of luck with games so far but that could be down to my setup. My Vive goes grey constantly due to performance issues, and this happens in official SteamVR software as well. With new graphics cards and intel chips rolling out in the next month, it seems I will be building a new computer to use this thing. I got Vorpx a bit prematurely knowing I would probably run into the same problems with it that I did with games in Steam VR. I got Proteus started in Vorpx (had to create a desktop shortcut), but the display kept going grey. I went with Proteus even though it’s not officially supported because its graphics are not demanding. Alas, it seems they are still a bit *too* demanding for my barely-functional VR setup. I can run Tilt Brush in this thing and that’s about it.

For those curious,
    i7-4770K @ 3.5 ghz
    Radeon R9 290
    8 gigs DDR3 (soon to be 16, this was the easy part to improve upon…)

I think I’m running into problems with my motherboard, CPU, and GPU alike. The system as a whole just can’t roll with the VR experience yet. However it does look like when I get the rest of it working, Vorpx will be functional as well. Thanks for the help! See you all in a bit when I get my shit ironed out :P

AccessDenied
    Participant

OK, made a little bit of progress. Super confusing, not 100% sure on what I’m doing, however, am getting closer in baby steps on this.

So I downloaded my copy of Thief II, The Metal Age. I’ve managed to get the menu screen going in my headset. However, the mouse and keyboard (HTC Vive controllers didn’t work at all) were not working in the game. The left click seemed to do nothing at all, while right clicking seemed to only work on my left monitor. The screen in my headset was beautiful and clear as it is on my monitor, but gargantuan and off to the left. None of the hotkeys to change those settings worked either.

But how I got to this little bit of progression was, starting VorpX, then running SteamVR, then running the game. After importing Thief 2, The Metal Age from the configure settings. Where I was going wrong when I read Ralf’s instructions on my other post was I was leaving the configure screen up and then running the VorpX picture viewer running. I thought that was what made VorpX work. Running the picture viewer.

So still haven’t gotten any game to run, but it’s a step in the right direction, hopefully some of this helps.

Creep
    Participant

My Vive goes grey constantly due to performance issues, and this happens in official SteamVR software as well.

Are you sure this is due to performance issues? Mine only goes grey when I lose tracking (reproducable by covering the headset’s sensors with my hands).
    You rig more than satisfies the recommended specs for the Vive:

Recommended PC Specs
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
    CPU: Intel® i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
    RAM: 4 GB or more
    Video Output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
    USB Port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
    Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10

You might wanna troubleshoot for better tracking (reflective surfaces? mounting rigid enough? Line of sight?)

ZeeMox
    Participant

My Vive goes grey constantly due to performance issues, and this happens in official SteamVR software as well.

Are you sure this is due to performance issues? Mine only goes grey when I lose tracking (reproducable by covering the headset’s sensors with my hands).
    You rig more than satisfies the recommended specs for the Vive:

Recommended PC Specs
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
    CPU: Intel® i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
    RAM: 4 GB or more
    Video Output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
    USB Port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
    Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10

You might wanna troubleshoot for better tracking (reflective surfaces? mounting rigid enough? Line of sight?)

I’ve done this unfortunately. It’s definitely performance. I’ve removed or covered all reflective surfaces, mounted the light boxes on studs about 14 ft apart with great visibility at pretty much perfect angles from what I can tell. No LED lights or sunlight… The thing that makes it clear that it’s a performance issue is that it happens more based on how demanding the application is. I can run Tilt Brush beautifully but games totally drag, drop frames, and ultimately drop tracking. It’s like the throughput of the system on the whole just isn’t adequate.

ZeeMox
    Participant

Well, turns out I just needed some more memory! Bumped myself up from 8 gigs to 24 gigs and now my Vive is working beautifully and I’ve used vorpx for a couple games.

Only problem I’m having now is that I can’t seem to save the Vorpx settings for each game? I have to re-adjust the FOV with shift+mousewheel every time I start a game, even if I’ve already set it, gone into the Vorpx menu, and chosen close+save. Any way to retain these values?

Ralf
    Keymaster

There currently is an issue with the database file being occasionally locked for some reason. This is being looked into.

You might be able to work around that by exporting settings to a file in the config app after you changed them and then reimport them later. Not sure whether that will work, but at least one user reported it helped.

A fix for this issue will (hopefully) be made available with the next update.

ZeeMox
    Participant

Okay, no problem. It’s a fairly small thing to have to deal with until the next update or two. Thanks for the quick response! Now that I’ve got this stuff functioning I am just super happy. Vorpx is rad! I don’t get VR sickness so it bums me out that developers are avoiding porting classic games to VR because of how common sickness is. This is an awesome workaround. Heck even playing games in the theater mode with 3D enabled is super cool.

kodiak
    Participant

OK, made a little bit of progress. Super confusing, not 100% sure on what I’m doing, however, am getting closer in baby steps on this.

So I downloaded my copy of Thief II, The Metal Age. I’ve managed to get the menu screen going in my headset. However, the mouse and keyboard (HTC Vive controllers didn’t work at all) were not working in the game. The left click seemed to do nothing at all, while right clicking seemed to only work on my left monitor. The screen in my headset was beautiful and clear as it is on my monitor, but gargantuan and off to the left. None of the hotkeys to change those settings worked either.

But how I got to this little bit of progression was, starting VorpX, then running SteamVR, then running the game. After importing Thief 2, The Metal Age from the configure settings. Where I was going wrong when I read Ralf’s instructions on my other post was I was leaving the configure screen up and then running the VorpX picture viewer running. I thought that was what made VorpX work. Running the picture viewer.

So still haven’t gotten any game to run, but it’s a step in the right direction, hopefully some of this helps.

I’m with you. While I’ve gotten VorpX to start, and I can get the Desktop viewer to launch, I can’t get it to launch/attach for any game. All I get is the SteamVR home area (“This is REAL” with my Roomspace Grid) and that’s it. I’ve even disabled my second monitor while trying to run it in case that was causing issues as there’s no support for dual monitors.

Tried using it with Diablo 3 and if VorpX is running at all then Diablo 3 locks up when I hit “Play” in the battle.net launcher. Also as a shot in the dark I tried running it with other games like ARK and no go there. Pretty lost and confused as hitting “Start VorpX” as the instructions doesn’t seem to do anything.

Ralf
    Keymaster

After starting vorpX you should see a tray icon in your taskbar which indicates that vorpX is running.

Please also make sure that SteamVR is running. Your issue sounds like something that can happen if SteamVR is not running with Vive.

If both of the above are true and vorpX does still not hook, there might be an injection conflict with some other program on your PC. The trouble shooting guide in the help has more detailed information in this regard.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!