Keyboard shortcut for DirectVR

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Keyboard shortcut for DirectVR

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    prinyo
    Participant

Is there an option to use a kb shortcut to enable/disable DirectVR in the game?

It seems DirectVR creates problems in Skyrim when the player character is involved in animations or when free camera is enabled. More specifically the player character model rotates in sync with the players head. Additionally if the position tracking is enabled with DirectVR on there is no head rotation tracking in a free camera mode. There is a big group of very popular Skyrim mods that can’t be used with DirectVR at the moment.

I don’t know if this is because of the way DirctVR works and if it is fixable or not. For now a shortcut to enable/disable it would be very useful. Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s a good idea. There always is a certain chance that Direct VR does unexpected things in situations where a game uses the camera in different ways than normally. A hotkey for disabling it temporarily will be available in the next vorpX version.

prinyo
    Participant

Thanks!

I have also reported those problems to the author of the most popular animation-based mod framework. He, it turns out, also has a Vive and VorpX and he could be able to see if the problems I have are because of problems with my setup or not and if there are possibilities to fix some of them on the modding side.

You can see one of the problems I’m talking about in an un-modded Skyrim. Activate the forge or start chopping wood or any other situation where the camera shows the player character model while it is in animation and you will see it rotates as you move your head. In my setup this happens when DirectVR is on, but not when it is off.

I was wondering if VorpX can read signals from the game in some way. Skyrim is extremely moddable and it should be possible to automatically send some kind of signal to turn some features on and off. If there are any kind of signals VorpX can see.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Direct VR writes directly into the game’s memory addresses for camera rotation, so that doesn’t sound overly surprising. I would suggest to simply switch to EdgePeek mode in situations where the camera changes from first to third person. Dealing with situations like these in a comfortable manner is one of the reasons why EdgePeek exists in the first place. For things like the workbench screen that’s a lot better than having it glued to your face anyway.

prinyo
    Participant

I see. Unfortunately EdgePeek is not a solution for most of the cases. I guess the shortcut to enable/disable DirectVR will have to do as a short term fix.

The other problem that I haven’t found a workaround for yet are the first person mods. If you have one of them installed, for example Immersive First Person View, the DirectVR head rotation will never work. The scan will report success but there will be no rotation. With the version before the latest update it was possible to make it work if you disable the position tracking before running the scan. But not any more.

I understand those things can be considered unimportant, because after all the vanilla game does indeed work great with DirectVR. But most players do not play the vanilla game and with more people joining the VR and VorpX community in the next months the problems with incompatibility of essential mods will become more serious. I guess most of the problems will be resolved with time when people who are more clever and understand the things better than me join the VR community and give better and more adequate feedback than I can :-)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If a camera mod is not compatible with Direct VR, e.g. because it stores its rotation values in a way that Direct VR can’t find, please either remove the mod or play the game without Direct VR. As much as I would like to support all the mods you may have installed for the game, I simply can’t. The number of possible mod combinations is far too large.

prinyo
    Participant

I completely understand your position and I really hope I don’t sound demanding or something. I’m simply trying to find ways to make the best of the both worlds – mods and DirectVR, work together.
    I completely agree with what you said about the mod combinations. That’s why I was talking about essential mods.

If you look at the Steam statistics 2/3 of the Skyrim players on PC are still on the old game despite the fact that the Special Edition runs better and doesn’t have the problems the old game has with Win 10. This is because of big number of essential mods missing. If you look at discussions online about that, lots of people say they are waiting for SKSE for SSE and conversion of several essential mods before they return to Skyrim.

And it is not about all mods also because there are lots of situations where different mods do the same thing with small differences. People will be ready to switch mods if at least one of them works. In the case of first person mods I’m still experimenting and trying to find one (that is not Joy of Perspective) that works. So I can put that on different tutorials about how to play Skyrim with VorpX.

But I’m in no way saying that this can be resolved quickly or that it has to be resolved on the VorpX side only or that it is a top priority or something like this. I expect those things will be gradually resolved in time with more people joining as users and mod authors starting to pay attention to this new platform.
    I think there are actually 5 to 10 mods (or types of mods) that are considered essential and that are directly influenced by the way VorpX works. But dealing with them is not really possible at the moment before their authors or some other experienced modder takes a look at them.
    I’m just trying to find out what works and what doesn’t right now. And I was sharing what I see. And that is all. I know that some of the problems I see are caused by my setup or by me using things in a wrong way and this is another reason I post them – maybe somebody will tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Direct VR scans a game’s memory for the camera rotation that is used by the game. If a mod either uses a different format to store these values or writes them someplace else than Direct VR expects, there is no way to work together with this mod. There can be only one thing overriding the games actual camera. Either the mod or Direct VR.

I’m pretty sure that 99.99% of all mods work perfectly fine with Direct VR, but using a mod that essentially does the same thing as Direct VR (modifiying the camera) I would consider actively calling for trouble. :)

prinyo
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that 99.99% of all mods work perfectly fine with Direct VR.

Yep, I tried to say the same thing but I drowned it in words… :-)
    There will be no more than 5 to 10 mods that will require some special attention. Everything else works or has an equivalent that works.

But this is just an observation right now as it will take some experienced modder taking a look at the mods to see how they can be changed or new ones need to be made.

I have send an email to support@ (to you) with some more clear explanation about what I’m talking about and a link to a relevant discussion.

But as I said the shortcut to switch DirectVR on or off will be a good solution for now, before there is more clarity if the mod specific problems can be resolved purely on the mod side. So with that I think the topic is resolved :-)

AndyW
    Participant

The other problem that I haven’t found a workaround for yet are the first person mods. If you have one of them installed, for example Immersive First Person View, the DirectVR head rotation will never work.

On this point, Enhanced Camera seems fine with Direct VR – for me at any rate. Not a complete answer, but it may be a help :)

prinyo
    Participant

On this point, Enhanced Camera seems fine with Direct VR – for me at any rate. Not a complete answer, but it may be a help 🙂

Hmm, I missed this one, thanks! Will try it tomorrow.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Let us know it works. Certainly wouldn’t hurt to have a recommended camera mod for those who want to use one together with Direct VR.

chisel316
    Participant

I’m using Immersive First Person View 3.4 with Direct VR on the original Skyrim and it seems to be working fine. I start with VorpX in gamepad full override mode, perform the Direct VR scan then switch to gamepad off. Pressing in the right thumbstick switches between 1st and 3rd perspective. I can look around normally in 1st person only, but that’s the only view I use. I just posted some useful links to the mods that enhance the Skyrim VR experience in the Game Hints and Settings section here.

Peace \/
    chisel316

Ralf
    Keymaster

Switching the gamepad mode for Direct VR won’t be necessary anymore pretty soon. With the next version everything in this regard will be handled automatically.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!