Left 4 Dead 2 DirectVR crashing

Homepage Forums Technical Support Left 4 Dead 2 DirectVR crashing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ectoBiologist15
    Participant

I just got this yesterday, and I’m attempting to get L4D2 working. VorpX automatically set the resolution to 4:3, but DirectVR fails with FoV and then crashes the game instantly after position succeeds.
    Portal 1 works great out of the box, which was surprising (I was expecting to have to do more to get it working)
    Any help would be appreciated.

ectoBiologist15
    Participant

almost six hours later, checked again, and i get three scenarios:
    1. rotation fails, game doesnt crash
    2. rotation passes, fov and position fail, game doesnt crash
    3. rotation passes, fov fails, position passes, game crashes
    complete noob to vorpx (i only bought it yesterday)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unfortunately there always is certain chance of failure involved with scanning through a game’s memory. In the worst cae the scanner may not work correctly all on an individual system. Hence the according message that is displayed during each scanner run.

That said, the game is not really known to problematic in that regard. Similarly to hooking issue, a potential trouble maker could be some invasive AV program that monitors memory operations. If you use anything else than Windows Defender, please try to uninstall it.

ectoBiologist15
    Participant

thanks for the reply!
    i only use windows defender. this happens consistently and i have not yet managed to get it to succeed.
    if it matters, here’s the things i do:
    enable edgepeek for main menu
    go into a single player dead center campaign on the first part
    leave edgepeek
    attempt directvr
    wait for either a full success or a crash

ectoBiologist15
    Participant

update: it’s worked once, but i really have no idea what happened beforehand. ill bump if it starts happening again i guess.

ectoBiologist15
    Participant

ok, thats all sorted, now my problems are:
    constant flickering despite being in 4:3 (and NOT just weapons)
    head rotation doesnt actually do anything in game (still have to use mouse/right stick to look around, so aiming is hell)
    any suggestions?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you don’t get head rotation the scanner did not find the right memory locations although it “thinks” it succeeded. Sometimes that can happen. Sounds like something is severely off though since L4D2 is not really known to be problematic in general. As said above unfortunately there is no 100% guarantee that the scanner works reliably on every system. Hence the according message that is shown during each scanner run.

One thing you could try is restarting your PC to ensure the memory layout is as “clean” as possible, but apart from that I can’t really say much more than the ingame message already does.

if you can’t make it work, please check the ‘Essential Hints Guide’ in the vorpX help for alternative ways and workarounds to deal with FOV in FullVR games.

ectoBiologist15
    Participant

restarted and now im back to square one: rotation constantly failing.

Ralf
    Keymaster

As much as I’d like to give you a more satisfying reply, at this point I pretty much just can repeat a quote from above. Sorry.

unfortunately there is no 100% guarantee that the scanner works reliably on every system. Hence the according message that is shown during each scanner run.

if you can’t make it work, please check the ‘Essential Hints Guide’ in the vorpX help for alternative ways and workarounds to deal with FOV in FullVR games.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!