Low resolution in Witcher 3

Homepage Forums Technical Support Low resolution in Witcher 3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steku
    Participant

I followed this manual to enable vVorpX for Witcher 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svAFX7KMw4w&list=WL&index=153.
    I managed go into VR with my Reverb G2 (OpenXR) in the game. However the in game VR resolution is very low, no matter what resolution I set for pancake (2d) mode in game.
    In vorpX menu in VR, “Direct VR Settings” “Preffered Resolution Quality” I can only set “OK-ish”, “Nice”, “Nicer” – no matter which one I set the resolution in VR is still the same. I can’t enable “Great” or higher, because I receive the message: “Seems unsupported for this game on your PC. Check the “add Custom Resultions” section in the help”.
    I’m using Ultrawide 3840×1600 dispaly with RTX3070 and in my nVidia control panel I have several resoultions available: 3840×1600, 2880×1440, 2560×1600 and many more. I have the “enable resolutions not supported by the display” checked in nVidia Control Panel. My dispaaly is in 3840×1600 resolution. Not matter what resolution I set in game, full screen or windowed mode, the resolution in VR is still very low, so low I can’t read the fonts in the game HUD.
    I would appreciate any advice – why vorpX is telling me: “Seems unsupported for this game on your PC” any why the chnages between “OK-ish”, “Nice”, “Nicer” have no effect on the resolution in VR.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Since you already noticed the custom resolutions hint, you are quite close… :) Now just follow the step-by-step instructions in the ‘Custom Resolutions’ help section and add the resolutions mentioned there.

Alternatively you can disable resolution auto settings in the vorpX menu and set the resolution normally in the game menu.

It’s better to add the custom resolutions though and let vorpX do its thing since vorpX figures out the best aspect ratio depending on the situation. You definitely never want to use an ultrawide res for example.

On a sidenote: the latest Witcher 3 patch largely broke the profile for the game. An updated vorpX version will be released within the next few days.

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Oh yeah, i wanted to try the 4.01 update of TW3 in DX11, but i got no 3D in Z-Normal. So i came here to look at solutions.

@Ralf: Is the updated profile not out yet, or should i do something manually? I am talking strictly normal vorpX in Immersive Screen (no 1st person etc).

MarcDwonn
    Participant

Oh, BTW, does the DX12 renderer of v4 (Next Gen Update) have a vorpX profile yet?

MarcDwonn
    Participant

I read in another post that DX12 will probably not be an option (plus, Witcher 3 uses DX11>DX12 layer by MS, which means it probably will never run well with RT). Oh well, since i’ve got the feeling that v4 DX11 looks worse than v1.31/32 i may roll back and stay with the classic release. It feels like they changed weather and postprocessing for the worse in v4 (except *Blood And Wine*, which looks much better in the new version :)

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I read in another post that DX12 will probably not be an option (plus, Witcher 3 uses DX11>DX12 layer by MS, which means it probably will never run well with RT). Oh well, since i’ve got the feeling that v4 DX11 looks worse than v1.31/32 i may roll back and stay with the classic release. It feels like they changed weather and postprocessing for the worse in v4 (except *Blood And Wine*, which looks much better in the new version :)

I’m seeing *terrible* performance with RT in Witcher 3 even with a 4090 – much worse than Cyberpunk. Furthermore, the poor performance is largely unaffected with reduced resolutions or reduced DLSS quality modes (unlike Cyberpunk where these both work as normal.) RT is acting as a ‘destroy performance regardless of any other settings’ toggle. Too bad, as Next-Gen Witcher 3 definitely looks worse with RT off than the Classic did. Unsolvable on our end I suspect.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just speculation, but I’m fairly certain that CDPR made some deal with nVidia to push RTX. TW3 doesn’t even have a real DX12 renderer, instead they use a DX11 > 12 wrapper, implemented some RTX effects on top of that and *heavily* downgraded the original shadow look to make RTX stand out at least in some way.

Doesn’t exactly require an uber brain to guess how something like that may happen… I’m surprised that there is almost no outcry about the whole affair except from one or the other Steam forum thread that noone reads. The gaming related shitstorm machinery went ballistic on less annoying occasions in the past. ;)

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

As far as I can tell the latest Next Gen update broke vorpX hooking the game. At least, mine hasn’t been able to hook since the 4.0.1 update. I’m on the non-beta vorpX still.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Make sure to launch the game with DX11. Important: G3D doesn’t work right after the patch. All shaders have been recompiled, hence shader definitions in the profile don’t work anymore. Use the vorpX 23.1.0 beta for Witcher 3 with DierctVR (AFR) 3D.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@Ralf – I swear I had it launching the DX12 version. RT is not available through the DX11 version, right?
    I had some issues with the beta and had to revert. I’ll put my findings in the correct thread. (I put them somewhere, but probably didn’t think to put them in the Beta thread.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!