Mad Max G3D – fix for the lights?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Mad Max G3D – fix for the lights?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

I noticed on the Mad Max 3D profile (unofficial) that the lights are really messed up. The stereo 3D just loses it, and its really tough to play if its not outside in the light. Is there any fix for this? I turned off dyn lights, shadows, etc, but still no good.

If not, is there a Znormal profile that works? The ones in the cloud don’t seem to work anymore.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t know the specific custom profile, but in many cases typical shadow/light glitches are acceptable with realistic 3d-strength. The more exaggerated/unrealistic the stereo effect the more obvious such issues get.

In official profiles realistic stereo is usually the default, for custom profiles reducing the 3d-strength might be worth a shot, just in case it is unrealistically high per default.

dborosev
    Participant

I’ve seen tolerable shadow glitches with many games, but in Mad Max, any lights basically eliminate the stereo 3D in huge patches of your vision. Never seen that before. For the first hour or 2 of the game, its really really bad as its not daytime out. Unplayable for me anyways. I tried dialing back the 3D to no effect.

Not sure why the older Z3D profiles aren’t working any more.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I’m not sure the older profiles ever did work, and so far I haven’t had any luck finding Z3D.

The G3D i think is running from a unity profile, and as you noticed, not perfect. Have to disable the shadows and HUD only shows in one eye. I recall a slight occlusion halo effect around Max when looking at certain light sources, but I don’t remember stereo being as severely impacted as you describe. A certain game setting perhaps?

I can take another look with the shader tool a bit later, but we might just have to settle with what we’ve got. With as many profiles I tried failing outright, it already works better than I had expected.

Ralf: I’ve been curious. Is there a reason no unity profiles offer Z3D? is it not possible for Unity engine, or was simply overlooked?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unity Engine games tend to use multiple z-buffer textures and switch between them randomly (probably not really randomly, but for vorpX it looks that way), which made stable Z3D stereo difficult in the past.

There is a new way to keep track of the depth buffer since two or three versions though that can handle such cases better. Looks promising in a brief initial test with Firewatch. I’ll do some more testing and update Unity profiles with working Z3D for the next vorpX version if the initial test result proves to be stable. No 100% promise yet though, just checked it briefly so far with a single game.

matteo39
    Participant

next vorpx version awaited as the messiah! ahahah! (g3d for prey, mass effect andromeda etc)

dellrifter22
    Participant

Neat Ralf! It’s always nice having Z3D option when shadows are a problem.

I’ve had some pretty good luck with the unity based Life is Strange – Before the storm profile, granting G3D to games like Hitman, Mad Max, Sniper Elite, and even Total War. Games I would not have suspected a link to unity. Perhaps the unity render method is most basic or common?

Anyhow, it will be very useful if Z-normal ends up working across these games as well, even if the profiles have to be remade. (or will they?) I’ve already used the fixed Z-buffer Battlefront 2 profile to fix Ghost Recon’s Z3D, so thanks for that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The new method is an additional method, it doesn’t affect older profiles. No need to remake any of your profiles if they already work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!