Mankind divided crash on game start

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Mankind divided crash on game start

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Haven’t played DE:MD in a month or two, started playing again, and now it seems to crash when running it with VorpX. It happens on the loading splash screens the first time, saying unable to start or something. Then, on subsequent tries, it does not even run the DE:MD loader, it just says “Steam Error: Access is denied”.
    Tried resetting my MD profile, tried creating a desktop shortcut , rebooting, nothing seems to work. Plays fine without VorpX.
    It seems to me, I ran into something like this a while back, not sure what game or what the solution was.
    Ever seen that before Ralf?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to exclude the game folder from your virus scanner. The access denied issue is probably related to the virus scanner blocking the game .exe when vorpX hooks it. Seems to happen more often than before after a recent Windows Defender update.

Trying two or three times usually does the trick, excluding the game .exe (or the whole folder) from scanning is a more permanent option.

The game itself still works fine. I incidentally just checked it an hour ago during the daily check-a-few-games-to-see-whether-you-broke-something-today routine.

dborosev
    Participant

Tried that but still doesn’t work. (Using windows defender)
    After a few (3-4) restarts of VorpX, and restarts of steamVR, sometimes I can get it to the point that it will get past the steam access denied error, but it still just crashes on the logo splash screens while loading.
    More info:
    I’m just running the game using steam. If it ever gets past the access denied error, it tells me its non-vr, etc, and I say ok, and it brings up the game launcher, then I launch it.

The weird thing is, I was able to actually play the game a bit yesterday once. Out of about 30 tries. The only thing I did was reset the profile. But that no longer does anything.

dborosev
    Participant

btw, forgot to mention, I excluded the steam/Common/deus ex folder in windows defender. Is there any other folders?

Mot
    Participant

I get the steam error access denied sometimes, but so far its worked every 2nd go when its done that.

dborosev
    Participant

I’ve only gotten it to work once in about 40 tries. And that was after resetting the profile. I tried that again, but never works now.
    I wonder what else it could be? Tried disabling oculus home as well (I use revive).
    Do you run the game from steam? And get that “this game will be displayed on monitor and may affect performance” message …. when it works.
    Then run the game from the DE:MD launcher that comes up?

I can’t even get that far.
    I used to be able to run this game no issues a couple of months ago.

Mot
    Participant

I have a Rift, but OH doesn’t have to be running to play games, just the services in the task manager. I just boot up steam/voprx and run the game as is. I got the message twice in a row yesterday (still testing stuff, I only just got Vorpx). I don’t get the monitor-performance message. I did have to disable DirectX 12 mode to get it to hook tho.

It sounds like a steam DRM issue to me.

dborosev
    Participant

Could be a Vive thing by the sounds of it. Used to be able to run it, just not sure whats changed in the last 2 months.

dborosev
    Participant

Just an update Ralf, for your future trouble-shooting needs.
    Seems like it only runs for me if I disable defender all together.

dborosev
    Participant

So this issue is back with a vengeance. I have been playing Mankind Divided about 20 times over the past week. Worked great. Then, in the middle of a game, it crashed to desktop. Ok fine. So now, no matter what, I can’t get the game to run anymore with VorpX. Tried re-importing, rebooting, no AV. It just keeps giving me the steam error “Access Denied”. Without VorpX, works great.
    Very frustrating as it was just working fine for months, then CTD causes this.
    Ralf, have you been able to narrow down what might be causing it? Disabling AV no longer works after this CTD.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Trying two or three times usually does the trick if that happens.

dborosev
    Participant

Hi Ralf,
    I tried it dozens of times obviously, that didn’t work.
    My I.T. nature kicked in, and I decided to troubleshoot it at bit. I figured it must be something that a CTD created or did to the game that put it in a state that was incompatible with VorpX.
    After trying many things, I found that going back into the game without VorpX, and saving it as a new save file, fixed it. I think it forced the game to dispose of whatever crash data is was retaining, or crash recovery state it was in.
    Anyways, thought I’d update you in case others have this issue with other games.
    Hopefully its the last time I see this PITA issue.

Jarilo
    Participant

I know, necro old thread but Mankind Divided doesn’t even work with VorpX anymore, it just randomly crashes during game.

jjensson
    Participant

Would be nice if it gets fixed. I still haven’t played it in VorpX.

luka2099
    Participant

i try it now. work great!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!