Mass Effect 1 no mouse

Homepage Forums Technical Support Mass Effect 1 no mouse

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Retro5001
    Participant

I’ve seen some threads about no mouse in the third game, but I’m trying to get a mouse in the first one.

I’ve tried everything that I’ve seen work for others, hitting alt-c, resetting profile, turning off origin overlay and such but still no mouse. Really difficult game to play without one, any suggestions to get it working?

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

I don’t have the game installed currently, but IIRC the hardware cursor has to be disabled in the game options. Typically vorpX does such things automatically via DirectVR or at least shows a hint, but apparently not in this case.

Let me know if that helps and I’ll check whether it can be automated.

Retro5001
    Participant

I’ve checked and the hardware cursor is already disabled, is there a setting in vorpx that I need to activate to get the cursor to appear? I see that there is a shortcut to enable but that doesn’t do anything.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No. In case of a ‘hardware cursor’ (which is a special way windows displays the cursors that can’t be stereo duplicated) vorpX uses its own. Most of the time vorpX can detect when it should display its own cursor, but in cases where that might fail, you can use ALT+C.

Software cursors are entirely handled by games, so they should always be visible whenever the the game sets them visible.

I’ll reinstall the game and check whether I can replicate your issue. I don’t really expect anything though. For a fairly long time Mass Effect was one of the usual test cases here. Never encountered such an issue.

Retro5001
    Participant

Appreciate you looking into this. I also had Mass Effect Andromeda downloaded, so I gave that a try and the mouse in that game works fine.

But I downloaded Mass Effect 2 and similar to the first game, no cursor. I would assume that Mass Effect 3 would be similar but I haven’t downloaded it yet to try.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No issue here with 2+3 that much I can safely say without checking. Both have been tested before the last update.

I don’t really know what to suggest TBH as I have no clue what might cause this issue for you. The only thing I can recommend is resetting the profile to default and/or do a factory reset in case you haven’t done that before. Although I don’t see how any vorpX setting at all could make your cursor disappear, so that probably won’t do anything.

Also try to disable every program running in the background, just in case there is some super weird, inexplicable conflict with something else running.

And last but not least try running the game both windowed and fullscreen, maybe that makes a difference for some reason.

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem with Mass Effect 1 here either. I just had to disable the Origin overlay, otherwise vorpX wouldn’t attach to the game. Didn’t really recall that to be necessary before, but maybe I just forgot about it. No cursor issue though. The vorpX cursor appeared in the main menu without changing any game settings after installing and was automatically turned off/on correctly during a brief ingame check.

So apart from the general suggestions above I’m at a loss in regard to your issue unfortunately.

Retro5001
    Participant

Again thanks for looking into this, I feel like it should just be working, no idea what could be messing it up. A couple of things though, I’ve installed some other games through steam and all of those work perfectly fine, so it’s really just the original Mass Effect trilogy that is not working. Also, with steam vr (Using a WMR), if I alt tab and then select the “SteamVR” tab on the taskbar (which has no preview window), it will show a cursor on the monitor but not on inside of the headset.

Also when I press alt-c, nothing happens but the system makes a ding (the sound the computer makes when you try to click off of something that Windows won’t let you click off of) so something could be messing up there.

I’ve found a mod that makes the game work with a controller. I’ve installed that and it appears to work though it’s a bit glitchy, but it makes it playable. Please let me know if you run into any potential solutions in the future.

Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just a guess, but maybe WMR is the problem. Per default it turns off mouse/keyboard input when entering VR and you have to switch it back on with WIN+Y if you want to use a mouse while in VR. Luckily since a year or so you can disable this behavior in the WMR Portal settings.

Retro5001
    Participant

Yea, I use WMR for iracing and that’s the problem I ran into there, so I’ve already got it set up to use win+Y to switch if needed and not the sensor on the headset. Tried it both ways, with the win+y enabled and disabled, no difference that I could tell here.

madcap
    Participant

I played through the trilogy recently (heavily modded). It all ran pretty well. I used the proper FOV fixes that you bind to key (check pc gaming wiki) for immersive play. Other than some screen position adjustments and maybe a higher preferred resolution, and perhaps disabling head rotation (in-game), you shouldn’t need to change anything in VorpX.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!