Maybe some ideas to make VorpX even better..

Homepage Forums Technical Support Maybe some ideas to make VorpX even better..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    moadepth
    Participant

Hi Ralf just some fantasy ideas…
    Recently Ive played Rise of the Tombraider with my friend sitting next to me.
    I have a Toshiba 3d Television and as you maybe know ROTTR puts out SBS to the screen mirror, so I tried my shutter goggles and they worked perfect, so both of us could enjoy 3d at the same time. Would be a killer feature if there would be a option for letting the mirror put all games out in SBS. Dont no if possible.
    Second thing would be ;)

dellrifter22
    Participant

If I could make a small request to help improve user profiles: ability for user to hide the HUD layer, similar to Shadow Treatment.

For many profiles I’ve been working on lately, I want to provide the option to hide crosshairs and other intrusive HUD elements. I’ve been assigning these to Shadow Treatment lately for this purpose, but the drawback being no HUD adjustment sliders.

Instead of adding another HUD treatment box, I’d propose making the HUD depth slider read as OFF when either maximized/minimized (with red warning message), and the HUD layer is now hidden. This would suffice.

If you would allow another HUD box however, It could be nice to have a 3 stage one similar to Shadow Treatment. And allow shader authors to assign ON, Partial, and OFF states – useful for hiding only crosshair or minimap, instead of hiding entire HUD/menu layer. A hotkey toggle would make it even better, but I know buttons are so few.

Please take this as a suggestion only if you think it would be useful for general users who don’t want to mess with the shader tool to hide HUD layers. Or maybe it’s only me who can’t stand having it always in my face :) .

Ralf
    Keymaster

There actually was a hotkey in early vorpX versions that allowed to hide the entire HUD for full immersion in any game that had HUD shaders defined. Personally I considered that a fantastic feature as it allowed you to be fully immersed for walking around and enjoying the scenery.

the major drawback were complaints about invisible menus etc. since in the vast majority of cases the same shaders are used for both HUD and menus. Some people simply forgot that they had hidden the HUD, didn’t understand that HUD and menus technically may be the same thing or considered it to cumbersome to switch it on again when they want to use a menu etc. So in the end I decided to remove the feature.

Unfortunately you sometimes have a small percentage of people who manage to spoil something completely optional for everyone if it doesn’t work 100% perfect instead of just not using it.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I wondered if that were the case. Well at least I can manage it for myself now with the shader tool, so thanks again for that. Have to leave it up to the individual to do the same I guess.

That “Request advanced profile authoring key” button in config app, does that work? I’m guessing it allows access to the shader tool for official profiles. Is that a universal key, or is it a request per profile?

Any chance that key unlocks the exe remove button? ;)

Edit: Oh, just realized that Request button is only present on custom profiles.

Well, in theory, once the exe lock is removed, we should be able to author our own copy of official profiles. And then I can hide any HUD in sight :)

moadepth
    Participant

Hi Dellrifter22, did you ever thought about renaming the exe,
    I tried some methodes for steam only without succsess :(
    I’m a little bit afraid bc of this, that with next update Ralf will put up some more games on the official list ;)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I still have shader authoring of official profiles on the list, I hear you guys. It has to be foolproof though (i.e. easily revertible) and that’s where things get messy. I have to touch parts of the profile database system that I haven’t touched in three years and would rather leave alone forever, as it involves changes in the core app, the config app and the online database code.

I haven’t forgotten about it, but doing this right will cost time I don’t really have ATM. Far more than I imagined myself when I carelessly announced to do this. Eventually it will happen, I just can’t really say when.

moadepth
    Participant

No Problem take your time Ralf we just over motivated ;)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I promised you something which I considered a one day job, and now I don’t really deliver because it turned out to be a ridiculously convoluted mess for something that sounds so simple. At least if one wants to do it right. That really bugs me.

moadepth
    Participant

come on Ralf you already did enough to make us smile.
    Maybe a solution could be there are no local profiles, every profile a user wants to try must be loaded from the cloud, some of them are offical certificated with the vorpx brandmark i dont know just a guess maybe you considered this by yourself a 1000 times just wanna help.

dellrifter22
    Participant

That’s fine Ralf. Hope I wasn’t coming across as insistent, but merely speculative. And I know you don’t like to often tell us what’s coming in fear it can’t be fulfilled, but it’s nice to know the kind of things your trying out that may or may not be coming down the pipe.

The only hinted at projects I can recall from this year involve possible EAC compatibility, advanced community shader tools, and official profile unlocking. But I realize they may not all be top priority, and something else might be taking your attention entirely, including new supported profiles. Reguardless, it’s useful to hear brief updates from time to time, to understand what’s in progress and what’s further out.

Now that we know profiles unlocking is probably further away than expected, we can rest easy our anticipation for now and focus on other things. Plenty of games still to try out. Our stockpile of custom profiles for new games is ever growing.

Man, I’m sounding like some investor. Ha, I’ll stop now. You know we just get excited.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!