Menu Unreadable in Half Life 2

Homepage Forums Technical Support Menu Unreadable in Half Life 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sdub
    Participant

I just got VorpX for my Vive Pro and I’m having some trouble getting good results in some of the games that are supposed to be simple to set up. I started with Half Life 2 and Portal and the fonts in the menu are completely unreadable. It’s not like they are too small, they are just gibberish. I’ve tried different resolutions but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. If I turn off VorpX, the fonts look fine. I have been able to get the resolution set to the native Vive Pro resolution, 2880×1600 but it seems like there is a known bug that causes flicker when not using 4×3 resolutions. The head tracking seems to work okay, but the overall picture is pretty ugly. Also need to figure out how to get a cross hair…

If anyone has any experience or tips on running VorpX with a Vive Pro or has worked through these issues, I would appreciate any advise.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The HUD/menu is scaled down to be fully visible while you are in the game. For making adjustments in the game menu simply switch to EdgePeek mode (middle mouse button or right gamepad thumbstick). EdgePeek not only scales the menu back to full size, it’s also way more comfortable for menus since you can look around. Also useful for cutscenes.

In regard to resolutions please check the “Custom Resolutions” section in the vorpX help. It explains step-by-step how to add resolutions to your PC that are higher than your monitor’s native resolution.

Never! set widescreen resolutions for vorpX unless a game does not support 4:3 correctly. The effective resolution is per eye, so widescreen is waste of processing power since most rendered pixels will never be shown in the headset

sdub
    Participant

Ah, EdgePeek helps, but I can’t seem to use it in the menus so I guess the key is to launch the game and then set the resolution.

The Vive Pro is 2880 x 1600 resolution for both eyes but that is what is causing the flicker and generates the message to use a 4×3 resolution. I already have the resolution of 2560×1600 in my Nvidia Control Panel, but this resolution doesn’t show up when I go into the HL2 Video options. Is 2048 x 1536 my best option? Is there any way to get a crosshair back?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you can’t see the crosshair, try to experiment with the HUD scaling factor (image page of the vorpX ingame menu).

Also make sure to enable MSAA in the game’s menu. That has a greater effect on image quality than raising the resolution.

The game resolution isn’t mapped 1:1 to the headset’s screen resolution since the VR runtime warps the image to account for lens distortion. You can go as high as your PC allows performance wise, just make sure to use *exactly* 4:3 for all Source 2 engine games like indicated by the vorpX message to avoid issues with the DirectVR FOV override.

If your PC can handle it, you could try 2880×2160 for example. For a game as old as Half-Life 2 that might work with a fast machine, but for newer games you will have to make compromises to maintain a decent framerate. Stereo rendering is computationally expensive.

sdub
    Participant

That custom resolution did the trick! 2880×2160 looks beautiful! Thank you for the quick replies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!