MICROSOFT Games?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion MICROSOFT Games?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ToxicMike
    Participant

MICROSOFT…Yuck!

Not enough with making the installation procedure of original MICROSOFT-Games annoying and complicated as fu**, let alone succesfully being able to locate .exe- and other installation-files as its usually easy with every other game installed on my rig and an even troublesome search for the original installation-folder, as MICROSOFT doesn´t even allow to install games in own selected folders, it looks like i am not even having rights to dig into the appropriate gaming folders of my choice coz of all those annoying microsoft-security things obviously.

I am now having the problem of just being unable to find the frigging -exe file for CRACKDOWN 3 (Game-Engine Unreal 4) to make vorpX hook to it. According to certain forums, the appropriate -exe should be in some kind of “…App”-Folder but my search for that, along with all other kinds of searches in all kinds of microsoft-folders and subfolders, are still negative.

Since i don´t really feel like trying to search for the goddamn files for the rest of this day, i guess i am just trying my luck how the game will run on vorpX´s VR-Desktop without hooking.

So if anyone has experience with those damn MICROSOFT-Games and where to find their goddamn files´n folders or how they work with vorpX, any answer is appreciated.

As an irrelevant sidenote, i will never ever support this trashy company ever again and rather pirate their games, that way i am at least having a far easier way of installing and de-installing games along with finding the files i need to find, rather than wasting hours searching for those damn things.

ToxicMike
    Participant

Well tried it without hooking and it works flawlessly without any stuttering or other problems on vorpX´s vr-desktop.

RJK_
    Participant

You may start the game, then press STRG+ALT+DEL in order to open task manager. Then go through each running Process. Each one should have its own command line indicating the path of the according application. Perhaps the game has an unusual name, thats the way i would try it.

ToxicMike
    Participant

You may start the game, then press STRG+ALT+DEL in order to open task manager. Then go through each running Process. Each one should have its own command line indicating the path of the according application.

Thanks but that ain´t the problem.

I am aware of the running process/process-line it is (“Crackdown 3: Campaign”), it just doesn´t allow me to acces certain commands and one of those is the one which would be leading me to its path.

When i was installing the game, the system told me i am not allowed for this game to select a destination path of my choice so then the game started installation and picked a destination whatever it felt was right…and didn´t even told me where LOL.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The default folder for Windows apps is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. It’s hidden per default, so you have to enable ‘Show hidden files’ in the Explorer options. Caveat: It’s also access restricted to protect apps installed there. Whether you want to change that or not is up to you.

BTW: If you want to access the folder to add the .exe to a vorpX profile: that is not necessary. Instead simply use the ‘Add Process’ button in the config app while the game is running. Doing so opens a list of currently running processes, so you don’t have to browse to the file location at all to add it to a profile.

BTW2: Some Game Pass games aren’t hookable either way though since they might be compiled in a way that makes them run inside a sandbox. That only affects a minority of Game Pass games though. Not sure whether that’s the case for Crackdown 3 or not.

BTW3: For most Game Pass games you can select a different folder since quite a while, Microsoft at some point realized that many PC gamers expect their games to be moddable. Apparently that’s not the case for Crackdown 3 though.

ToxicMike
    Participant

The default folder for Windows apps is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. It’s hidden per default, so you have to enable ‘Show hidden files’ in the Explorer options. Caveat: It’s also access restricted to protect apps installed there. Whether you want to change that or not is up to you.

Thank you very much Ralf! I wasn´t aware Microsoft is really hiding a game I actually bought, along with not giving me any rights to check its files, except getting a visible (happily not hidden as well!) shortcut and thanks to dear Mister Gates also the rights to click and start the appropriate app with it.

BTW: If you want to access the folder to add the .exe to a vorpX profile: that is not necessary. Instead simply use the ‘Add Process’ button in the config app while the game is running.

THAT actually also showed me the Crackdown3.exe, which the alt-tab process-list wasn´t showing me or didn´t allowed me to show!

Sadly i still can´t make vorpX hook to it, even with admin-rights. Guess this is because i still haven´t gotten the appropriate full-rights on the WindowsApps-Folder and until to this point i was only able to manage looking into it with using the notebook-trick (starting notebook.exe with admin rights and opening the Winapp-folder then).

So well, WindowsApp-Folder revealed a shitload of 100s of folders, after quickly looking at the biggest one, it showed me some folder with 8 MB, LOL, no sign of any Game-Folder with approx. 30 GBs and neither any sign of the Crackdown3.exe.

Enough with this crap, i am goin to download the cracked pirate version and try if vorpX can hook to that one, i already bought the game anyway so i am still a lawful person LOL!

Anyway, thanks again Ralf!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Whether you have access to the folder or not doesn’t matter.

If vorpX still doesn’t hook after creating a profile with the .exe assigned, the game is probably compiled as UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app. As mentioned above these apps run in a sandbox and can’t be hooked. That affects only a minority of MS/Game Pass games luckily.

ToxicMike
    Participant

That affects only a minority of MS/Game Pass games luckily.

Most important thing to me is playing my games on huge theaterscreens while 3D-effects aren´t THAT important to me and since crackdown3 is running incredibly well on its virtual-desktop (haven´t even tried free vr-desktop-apps but usually the more graphic-intense games and open-world games tend to run terribly there to the point i can´t even play them) i am happy and so this case can be closed.

Thanks again for replying and all the infos!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!