Mirror’s Edge Catalyst G3D Support

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Mirror’s Edge Catalyst G3D Support

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    austint
    Participant

After finishing the original Mirror’s Edge using Vorpx, I have been craving another VR experience like it. It’s definitely in my top 5 favorite VR experiences that I’ve had within the past couple of years.

To scratch that itch I have tried out Mirror’s Edge Catalyst in Vorpx, and unfortunately my experience was not good. There is no real 3D support which makes it difficult to judge where I am in the game world which is pretty important for platforming. The Z-3D just doesn’t work well with objects up close which really ruins the immersion. There also only mouse emulation head tracking which in my experience has a significant amount of latency for some reason.

I hope to one day be able to play Mirror’s Edge Catalyst in VR like I could in the original game. G3D support would be nice, and DirectVR support even better. Are there any plans to include G3D support into Frostbite games like this?

jjensson
    Participant

I’m not sure about G3D support, because most of the newer games with real time shadows have glitched shadows in G3D (or even no shadows). I admit i’ve not played a 1st person game in Z3D yet, but i find the stereo effect very good and quite natural in games like The Witcher 3 or Jedi: Fallen Order (or was the latter G3D? i can’t remember…)

If the Z3D effect in ME:Catalyst is as good as TW3, i’ll be very happy (the game is on my list to play). If not though, i hope Ralf can do something about it, because it’s a wonderful game and it would be a pity to not be able to experience it fully in stereo3D.

ArniVR
    Participant

I did not immediately understand what was wrong with the Z3D in VORPX. I spent more than one hour trying to adjust the stereo effect. It turned out that the problem with Z NORMAL 3D is that Ralf made it so that when the camera approaches 3D objects, the stereo effect decreases. According to my feelings, in first-person games, the stereo effect begins to decline gradually about two meters from the camera. Everything that is further (approximately) two meters from the camera works in 3D absolutely correctly.
    I believe that the ability to (optionally) disable this effect would be a great blessing to everyone.
    But the creator has his own vision, and he does not want to make any concessions.

jjensson
    Participant

I understand that Z3D (Z-Normal) is a synthetic technique to make a stereo3D image out of a 2D image using the depth buffer that the game provides. This will never be perfect, but as far as i could test it in the past several months of my Witcher 3 playthrough (192 hours playtime, including all DLC!) i was impressed how good it looked and how immersive it is. I didn’t notice a decrease in stereo depth, but that could be game-specific (how good the z-buffer data is that the game delivers).

ArniVR
    Participant

Hi jjensson!
    In third-person games, where the character is far from the camera, the problem I described above is not so noticeable. The Witcher, just such a game. You’re lucky!
    However, in third-person games, where the character stands next to the camera, and you focus on objects close to the camera, reducing the stereo effect at a distance of two meters from the camera spoils the entire stereo effect, and makes the Z3D useless.
    For example in Resident Evil 2/3
    Also in first-person games, where you constantly focus on objects near the camera, limiting the intensity of 3D within two meters of the camera spoils the dive.
    As I understand it, this restriction was made so that we would not see ghosting around 3D objects close to the camera. But in my experience, this is not at all scary! We get a full 3D effect, albeit with some ghosting.
    Better quality 3D with ghosting around the edges then a flat image near the camera.
    Why do I think so?
    I ran games through 3D VISION in a similar Z3D artificial 3D mode in VR HMD. This mode is called (Compatibility mode) This mode has a much more unpleasant kind of ghosting than the algorithm created by Ralph. But there is no artificial limitation of the stereo effect near the camera. The 3D effect simply breaks off sharply at the level of the screen frame.
    And thanks to this, we have a very good result.

Just one additional option that disables 3D reduction near the camera would make the Z3D more flexible and work fine in most games.

jjensson
    Participant

Interesting, thanks for the info. I’d like to hear Ralf’s thoughts on this.

FATHER
    Participant

What’s this about a mandatory 2-meter 3D fall-off? I’m not sure I’m following. :)

austint
    Participant

I did not immediately understand what was wrong with the Z3D in VORPX. I spent more than one hour trying to adjust the stereo effect. It turned out that the problem with Z NORMAL 3D is that Ralf made it so that when the camera approaches 3D objects, the stereo effect decreases. According to my feelings, in first-person games, the stereo effect begins to decline gradually about two meters from the camera. Everything that is further (approximately) two meters from the camera works in 3D absolutely correctly.
    I believe that the ability to (optionally) disable this effect would be a great blessing to everyone.
    But the creator has his own vision, and he does not want to make any concessions.

That makes a lot of sense. I’ve noticed how the ground in front of me in all games that use Z-Normal has a curved appearance because the 3D effect is wearing off as it gets closer to the camera. It would be awesome if we could disable that effect.
    However, disabling that effect would make ghosting at the edges of objects more prevalent because it’s not real stereoscopic 3D. I wonder if it’s possible to utilize an AI that could approximate a stereoscopic 3D image using Z-Depth data and information from the current frame as well as the previous frames.

ArniVR
    Participant

Hi austin!
    In many games, the Z3D is practically useless. 3D depth and intensity almost at zero. I don’t know what it depends on. With any settings

cercata
    Participant

I just replayed Mirror’s Edge algo with VorpX, amazing, you hit DirectVR, and boom, it’s perfect VR !!!!!

I hope one day we’ll hace a good profile for Catalysy, meanwhile I’ll keep an eye on Stride that should release this summer.

ChronicHedgehog
    Participant

This is a “pick your poison” scenario, as it keeps conversion artifacts to a minimum at the cost of the 3D effect. Which leads one to wonder, what’s the point of 3D conversion to begin with? Please, let us pick our poison. I prefer Tridef and 3D Vision style ghosting over flattening any day, but the choice should be up to the user here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!