Morrowind experience, average fps?

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Morrowind experience, average fps?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Polarius
    Participant

Hi guys,

I recently got vorpx and am quite impressed with it so far. I am currently planning on doing a playthrough of Morrowind in VR.

My first tests with it were kind of “meh” though. The experience seems very juddery in Full-VR mode (Z-Buffer), especially noticable when using the head look. When looking around with the mouse everything seems fine. I played around with all the various “Direct VR” options but nothing really improved the problems significantly. I also noticed that Morrowind (even without vorpx) notoriously runs at below 90fps (more like 40-70), even on high end hardware.

How have your experiences been with Morrowind?

Best regards,
    Polarius

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game is heavily CPU bound with MGE-XE (required for vorpX currently). Steady 90fps are next to impossible with MGE-XE even without vorpX.

If you have “Distand Lands” enabled in MGE-XE, try to disable it. That might help a bit.

The next vorpX will have a semi official profile for the dgVoodoo2 wrapper that will allow you to play the original D3D8 version with vorpX. Runs better than MGE-XE, but of course without any of its graphics enhancements. Also no good way to adjust the FOV without MGE-XE, so all things considered I’d say that will still be the better option despite MGE-XE slowing the game down quite heavily.

Polarius
    Participant

Thank you for your answer, I assumed as much regarding Morrowind’s performance. I might just play it in either Immersive Screen or Cinema modes, the problems are WAY less noticable when you’re not in Full VR.

Best regards,
    Polarius

Satya
    Participant

Ralf,

Is it possible to support Open Morrowind? I hear performance is much better.

https://openmw.org/en/

I play regular Morrowind in cinema mode, Z-buffer/MGE-X, it took a good bit of tweaking but it runs decent.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Doesn’t really seem to be finished yet.

What you could try is Morroblivion, which uses the Oblivion engine. Provided it works, it would probably not only run a lot better than MGE-XE, but also support DirectVR. Never tried it myself though, so I’m not sure.

Polarius
    Participant

While I agree that officially OpenMW “isn’t finished”, I have completed a playthrough with it in the past and it already works very well. IMHO it’s also the future for Morrowind as a whole. For my current playthrough I went back to MGE XE because of the (currently) better looking distant land feature, but OpenMW support should be something worth considering. (Although the “proper” way of implementing VR for it would probably be an addition to OpenMW’s codebase itself, but I guess including OpenVR libraries isn’t really an option for a GPL-licensed software).

Best regards,
    Polarius

grumdark
    Participant

I agree with the Open Morrowind proposition.

Regarding Morrowind, for months I did some tests with Vorpx, I installed overhauld 3xx, and although it worked correctly, except for some small problems with some type of flora, the biggest problem was exactly the same mentioned by OP.

FPS was still not stable enough to maintain at least 45fps under 3D geometry,
    I needed a little less “dance in my fps”, so I also thought about the possibility of Open Morrowind, and now that Polarius mentioned it again, I think I think it’s a great idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!