Mouse acceleration switch

Homepage Forums Technical Support Mouse acceleration switch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eola667
    Participant

Hi I was wondering if for a later version it would be possible to add a setting that turns mouse acceleration off by default instead of on (globally in the config app). Whenever the watcher is on and tries to attach VorpX to a program where it fails or isn’t supposed to mouse acceleration enables itself causing my cursor to go nuts until I can fix it by toggling it on and off in Windows; aside from that, every time I’m testing profiles on games I need to turn it off each time. Thanks for reading and sorry for the inconveniences.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Huh? The only time vorpX would ever touch the system wide mouse acceleration is when it is set to off in a profile for better head tracking. vorpX on exit would then switch it back to the original state. I’ll check whether there is something wrong with that all of a sudden, but that doesn’t sound overly likely. The related code hasn’t been touched in years.

BTW: Forcing the global mouse acceleration off via vorpX isn’t necessary for most newer games. Only makes sense for older games that use the standard Windows mouse input pipeline. Most newer games use the raw input API and aren’t affected by the system wide mouse acceleration. Games may have their own though. Profiles with DirectVR auto settings handle that automatically whenever possible, but in non DirectVR games any potential mouse acceleration setting should best be turned off for consistent mouse based head tracking.

Eola667
    Participant

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to check it out, the mouse acceleration that happens when it attaches to programs where it fails/isn’t supposed to is more apparent to me because I modified my physical movement to cursor movement to accomodate for having acceleration off, this causes really high speeds when accel gets turned on.

If you want to reproduce the bug, I can recommend trying it with a program VorpX tries to attach to but isn’t really an application that would work with it, the first example that comes to mind is a program called s3pe or s4pe, both tools to modify Sims games, if you use that with VorpX’s watcher on then close the program (s3pe) you will notice that right after closing it mouse accel gets turned on, you can check that on the Windows control panel. I’ve been able to observe this bug with almost any application that meets that criteria.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll try that, thanks. Should definitely not happen unless mouse acceleration was turned on when you started vorpX. vorpX normally reads the current state on start and then resets it after exiting a game if it was foced off by the profile.

On a sidenote: you can exclude programs in the config app. Might make sense to add s3pe/s4pe to the exclude list.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!