Moved: Reply To: How to Get the Most Out of vorpX?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Moved: Reply To: How to Get the Most Out of vorpX?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CylonSurfer
    Participant

“Aspect Ratio Correction

Due to the way stereo drivers work, they have to do some Aspect Ratio correction work. Per default vorpX uses a mode called ‘Smart’ that (on purpose) introduces some distortion near the top and the bottom of the image, which some might experience as ‘fisheye-effect’. If you don’t like that, choose another Aspect Ratio Mode (Display page of the in-game menu).”

Just a quick question regarding the above. You mention that changing your ARC setting from ‘Smart’ to another option should alleviate the ‘FishEye’ effect. My experience thus far, particularly in Skyrim is that this is simply not true. I have tried all of the four ARC options (and msessed with many of the other settings) and none help, some reduce this issue (slightly) but its there plain as day and if you don’t mind me saying, the problem actually induces motion sickness (for me at least).

As soon as I look up or down the mountains in the distance go from thin to wide and squashed, up close is just as bad with straight objects distorting as I pan up and down them.

Will you be fixing this aspect of the driver?

I love your edge peek mode, but the fish eye issues sadly makes using this driver an impossibility.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you set Skyrims FOV to the recommended 100 via the console? You might also want to experiment with this value a little bit.

‘Smart’ AR-Correction is the only AR-mode that introduces top/bottom distortion. Maybe you have enabled the 2D-FOV-Enhancement, which also introduces distortion and should only be used as a last resort when no other FOV-Enhancement option is available.

CylonSurfer
    Participant

I have tried FOV settings from 80 to 110. All FOV and ARC settings seem to have this issue. I have tinkered with the 2D FOV stuff, but set it back to 0.

Anything else you can recommend? What settings do you use?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The default/recommended settings.

CylonSurfer
    Participant

Well those were the worst settings with the fisheye being really apparent so I would not want to return to those. I notice other forum posts (not on here) from uses with the same issue so I’m certainly not on my own here. The warping is really bad, is this something you acknowledge and will be working to resolve?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The only places where any asymmetrical distortion is applied to the image are the ‘Smart’ AR-Correction and the 2D-FOV-Enhancement. I’ll check whether there might be cases where one of these is applied although it is not supposed to.

Sorry for not having something more specific for your problem at the moment.

DickDastardly
    Participant

I also initially found the distortion of the Vorpx driver induced nausea (something I’d not experienced in the rift at all up until then despite wearing it for over 10 hours on the day my devkit arrived, rather than the recommended 10 minutes).

Although I’ve not been able to eliminate the distortion entirely, I have been able to reduce it enough to prevent nausea by setting the aspect ratio correction in VorpX to “Simple” and the resolution of my games to 1280×1024.

If I look at a circular object like a wheel or a regular surface like a chequered floor I can still see some distortion but it’s much less than I was seeing when running games at 1280×800.
    Cheers,
    DD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!