Native support/intergration of SteamVR peripheral accessories inside vorpx?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Native support/intergration of SteamVR peripheral accessories inside vorpx?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bubbleball
    Participant

Is there any way currently to load a peripheral vr accessory into vorpx, similarly to how you do it for steamVR? To be able to use peripherals such as ForceTube, Leap motion modules or Cybershoes in vorpx?

I’d be keen and eager to buy if there is a way to inject the commands to launch these peripherals in the vorpx settings profile.

Cheers!

Bubbleball
    Participant

Bump for recognition

Ralf
    Keymaster

With such things there always is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. It’s a difficult decision to spend time on support for devices without a large enough userbase while there is other work to do that benefits more vorpX users.

I certainly see some potential for using Cybershoes with vorpX though. If they happen to ship their own software that can map shoe movement to WASD for example (not unlikely), you would even be able to use Cybershoes with vorpX right away.

With Leap Motion things are a bit more complicated. Supporting that in a meaningful way would require quite a bit of R&D work as we would have to figure out what makes sense in the context of vorpX (actually first if anything makes sense at all). The only answer I can give you at this point is that Leap Motion is a very interesting VR accessory for sure and certainly will be looked into if/when there starts to be broader demand.

moarveer
    Participant

There’s a comment on Kickstarter where they said that the last time the checked it worked, so there’s a high possibility that it just works our of the box.

moarveer
    Participant

Cybershoes, I mean.

rustysalter
    Participant

With such things there always is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. It’s a difficult decision to spend time on support for devices without a large enough userbase while there is other work to do that benefits more vorpX users.

I certainly see some potential for using Cybershoes with vorpX though. If they happen to ship their own software that can map shoe movement to WASD for example (not unlikely), you would even be able to use Cybershoes with vorpX right away.

With Leap Motion things are a bit more complicated. Supporting that in a meaningful way would require quite a bit of R&D work as we would have to figure out what makes sense in the context of vorpX (actually first if anything makes sense at all). The only answer I can give you at this point is that Leap Motion is a very interesting VR accessory for sure and certainly will be looked into if/when there starts to be broader demand.

Leap motion gesture capture keybind conversion should be a standalone application or script, as the above game is not launched in steamVR. This leads me to believe leap motiom integration should be easy based on your above comment

With regards to the chicken and egg problem, Pimax has a Leap motion hand controller they are working on releasing with a wider range of hand tracking. Foot movement and hand tracking with gesture based input is the way forward for VR, and I think if it’s integrated into Vorpx that’s it will bring a greater awareness to full immersive VR.

Cybershoes has a standalone program called the Cybermanager (but it doesn’t convert WASD, it seems thats done automatically in SteamVR games); but they’re interested in Vorpx support according to their kickstarter so I would get in touch with them at, they will probably send you free shoes.

rustysalter
    Participant

Hey Ralf does the above video assist in any way to further the implementation of eother Cybershoes or Leap Motion?

Leap motion sensors have already been purposed for several headsets, they will be sold with Pimax headsets too. They do need more implementation in software but I’d argue it’s an excellent opportunity for you to market your own product by demonstrating cross compatibility, which benefits you and the peripheral companies in the long run
    (Like potential for paid partnerships maybe for your continued endorsement and support?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!