New VR headset coming – "Totem" (Trouble for Oculus?)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion New VR headset coming – "Totem" (Trouble for Oculus?)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I posted this on the Oculus Rift website, but I feel it should be posted here in case Ralf or any of y’all are interested.

This Canadian company recently revealed one of their projects that they’ve been working on for many years. It’s called the Totem and from the looks of it, it’s going to outshine the Oculus two-fold.
    Spec sheet:
    Screen 1080p OLED

Field of view 90 degrees

Connectivity

HDMI input
    USB output (tracker)
    Sensors

2x cameras 1080p
    3 axis 1kHz gyro
    3 axis 4kHz accel
    3 axis magnetometer
    Audio: Surround sound over stereo

Emulated controls

USB mouse
    Playstation controller
    Xbox controller
    Non-game controls

Up, Down, Select/Real World View

Supported engines

Unreal
    Unity
    Havok
    CryEngine
    Platforms

PC
    Playstation 3 & 4
    Xbox One & 360
    Supported media

All 3D formats, SBS preferred Size 6.6″ x 4.4″ x 5.4″

(One of the features I also saw is called “Real world view” and from what I can tell, it uses the cameras on the front of the headset to see the real world, in case you need to find the keyboard or something.)

Now, this both makes me exited and nervous, because if this is near the same price of the oculus, I might cancel my devkit and make the switch to this. Sorry guys, but I’m being honest here. They haven’t released any more information, but they want to release more soon. There is also a link included here.
    http://www.trueplayergear.com/

If all of the stats are true, then it looks to be above everything else, except perhaps for the field of view.

Man, I think this is gonna shake up the VR world very, very hard.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!