noob questions

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion noob questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BaoeDiHoe
    Participant

hi, im getting the dk2 tomorrow, and i wondered about the vorpx supported games.

is stereo 3d the same as geometry 3d?
    and i red that when using geometry 3d that its very demanding and you only get 30 fps,, so wouldnt a powerful pc help getting higher fps?

alegse
    Participant

geometry 3D is true stereo with 2 fully rendered images (one for each eye). This is very intensive and will cut your frame-rate in half.

VorpX can also run with No 3D separation at all (no stereo) and I actually find that playable too even though it does not feel real and may make some people motion sick. This is not too intensive and you should get about 75-95% of your normal game frame-rate.

VorpX also has a fake Z3D that makes 2 eye views from a single image. This gives the illusion of a stereo 3D effect but is not true 3D. I feel it kind of has a pop-up book look to it where things look flat but are separated in each eye view. This is not too intensive and should run almost as good as No separation.

With the async time warp I find most games feel comfortable above 40 fps. So you want to make sure you can get 80-100 fps running a game normally on your monitor in order to play well in geometry 3D. If you only get 60+ fps normally you should use Z3D. If you get less than 60 fps normally it may be hard to play in VR.

I find you need a powerful graphics card (GTX 970 or better) AND you should also have a powerful CPU. I have an AMD athlon 860 x4 and it is really not good enough. I wish I went with Intel.

You can definitely get above 30fps in many games if you have the right rig.

BaoeDiHoe
    Participant

thanks, i only have a gtx 960 but im gonna get the gtx980ti or titan x very soon.

BaoeDiHoe
    Participant

a little off topic, but how can i play games from other sources like this site

https://share.oculus.com/category/dk2#eyJjYXRlZ29yeSI6ImFsbCIsInNvcnQiOiJkazIiLCJwbGF0Zm9ybSI6WyJwYyJdLCJnZW5yZSI6W10sIm9mZnNldCI6MH0=

when i installed the sdk and runtime, i am inside a living room and a meny ifront of me.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Games on Oculus Share do not work with vorpX, they have native Oculus support.

The vast majority probably won’t work anymore though since they were built with beta Oculus runtimes which are not compatible to the current Oculus runtime 1.3.

BaoeDiHoe
    Participant

i just got vorpx, and tried battlefield 4 and cod bo. and it seems not right, it feels that it is way zoomed in, i tried some of the vorpx settings and it did get a little better.

any suggestions?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please check the Essential Game Hints guide in the vorpX help. It explains the various options you have in regard to field of view (“zoomed in”). What can be done varies from game to game.

The help also contains a quick and dirty three step procedure called “The 1-2-3 Game Setup”. This works with basically every game, but does not provide the best possible result in most cases.

BaoeDiHoe
    Participant

thanks ralf,, changing the fov ingame fixed it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!