Oblivion problem: torch flames move with head tracking

Homepage Forums Game Hints and Settings Oblivion problem: torch flames move with head tracking

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    markbradley1982
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I’m using VorpX 18.1.5 that was installed on a recently formatted PC. I had to reactivate it via email which was no problem. I’m running the steam version of oblivion.

However Oblivion still has problems. The torch flames move with my head tracking. I remember you said you fixed this problem, but it is definately still here on a clean install. Oblivion is also cleanly installed. I see a similar problem with ingame light rays coming from like the dungeon windows and stuff.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I remember you bringing that up earlier. Only thing I could possibly imagine is that maybe some mod causes the issue. If you use any mod that affects the camera/FOV or fire/effect rendering in any way, try to remove it.

If you are 100% certain that you don’t have any such mod installed, I have no idea what might cause your issue, sorry. Works perfectly fine here for all I fires/torches I checked, with the Steam version as well as an old DVD version.

EdgePeek: sounds also quite odd. Per default briefly tapping the button toggles EdgePeek. Works also fine in Oblivion here, just checked it to be sure. If in doubt, reset the profile to default, maybe you changed gamepad related settings.

markbradley1982
    Participant

I remember you bringing that up earlier. Only thing I could possibly imagine is that maybe some mod causes the issue. If you use any mod that affects the camera/FOV or fire/effect rendering in any way, try to remove it.

If you are 100% certain that you don’t have any such mod installed, I have no idea what might cause your issue, sorry. Works perfectly fine here for all I fires/torches I checked, with the Steam version as well as an old DVD version.

EdgePeek: sounds also quite odd. Per default briefly tapping the button toggles EdgePeek. Works also fine in Oblivion here, just checked it to be sure. If in doubt, reset the profile to default, maybe you changed gamepad related settings.

I got edgepeek to work correctly by using the “back” button instead on my xbox one controller and I finally managed to bind alt V correctly.

If it helps anything the fires and torches look fine in edgepeek mode. They only get messed up and move with my head movement when I am in “VR mode”. I’m a bit desperate to fix this because it affects other ingame graphics too.

I’m not running any mods with Oblivion. This is a 100% clean install.

As a sort of sanity check have you tested Oblivion recently with the torches?

markbradley1982
    Participant

Also the current content build ID for the steam version of Oblivion is 3604

Ralf
    Keymaster

I just re-checked that for you, but unfortunately have no other answer than the last two times.

Absolutely no way to reproduce your problem. Not with the current Steam version, not with an old CD version. Checked various fires/torches again, indoor as well as outdoor. Fires/torches stay perfectly in place. Maybe try to delete your Oblivion.ini in case there is some setting that has an effect on this.

I can’t suggest anything more specific since the issue simply does not occur here, sorry. In some games it can happen that certain effects don’t behave 100% correctly with pos tracking, but in Oblivion that is not the case here with all vorpX settings at default.

markbradley1982
    Participant

I just re-checked that for you, but unfortunately have no other answer than the last two times.

Absolutely no way to reproduce your problem. Not with the current Steam version, not with an old CD version. Checked various fires/torches again, indoor as well as outdoor. Fires/torches stay perfectly in place. Maybe try to delete your Oblivion.ini in case there is some setting that has an effect on this.

I can’t suggest anything more specific since the issue simply does not occur here, sorry. In some games it can happen that certain effects don’t behave 100% correctly with pos tracking, but in Oblivion that is not the case here with all vorpX settings at default.

I’m happy to report that I figured out the problem. The torch bug is resolved once I disable anti aliasing, though there is a degradation of image quality due to aliasing that isn’t resolved with super sampling.

Is it possible to fix this so that ingame anti aliasing will work or is there some alternate work around I could try to have anti aliasing?

Even with anti aliasing disabled, the end result is far preferable than the previous torch bug when anti aliasing was enabled.

Also my audio device resets back to my monitor’s speakers instead of to my HTC Vive’s built in USB audio whenever I quit Oblivion. Is this something caused by vorpX due to “use built in audio device” being checked in the VorpX configuration or is it unrelated?

Anyway now the game is fully playable in VR in a standing room scale setup and I am stoked. Hopefully anti aliasing can be made to work in some way, but I can deal with this in the mean time.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Interesting find, will have to check that some time. At the very least I’ll add a notification regarding AA on start so that others won’t have to figure it out by themselves.

What you could try is forcing AA through the graphics driver instead of using the ingame setting. If that works, it would probably have the added benefit of allowing HDR rendering with AA. At least that was the case back in the day after nVidia added some game specific driver tweaks.

The audio switching is indeed intended behavior. The device is supposed to be reset to the one that was active when vorpControl was started. If you prefer to switch the audio device manually, you can safely disable the “use built in audio device” option in the config app.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update: with ingame AA enabled fire and similar effects can’t be separated from the HUD/UI, which is the reason for the glitch.

Beginning with the next vorpX version this will be handled by auto disabling the game’s AA, a scalable UI is more important. The ingame AA is easily replacable by forcing AA in the graphics driver, which is better in case of Oblivion anyway since it works with HDR lighting, or alternatively by upping the game’s resolution. So no loss at all.

markbradley1982
    Participant

Thanks for the update Ralf!

When playing Oblivion standing, the head tracking is 1:1 and I have 360 degree of turning in a room scale style environment similar to New Vegas.

However there’s one area of my 360 degree worth of turning there the image in my headset flickers/glitches a little bit. If I isolate my head movement to that one spot I can cause it to flicker/glitch by shaking my head. I’m not sure if my explanation makes sense, but you’d be able to eventually see it by standing and turning a full 360 degrees with your body. It’s in one spot always. Recentering or doing another DirectVR scan doesn’t seem to fix the problem.

The problem doesn’t significantly impact the game play, and the game is still quite playable despite this little glitch though it would be nice if it were removed though I am not sure how realistic that would be especially since DirectVR scans aren’t perfect. The glitch doesn’t show up if you turn with you gamepad rather than physically.

Overall I still intend to continue to play this game standing and turning a full 360 degrees.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!