Oculus Air Link

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Oculus Air Link

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sue
    Participant

Anyone got the update yet and know if Air Link works with vorpX? Virtual Desktop doesn’t.

onetoo
    Participant

VorpX works with Virtual Desktop. You have to set VorpX to SteamVR since VD doesn’t use the Oculus Runtime. Air Link will be better and should work just fine since it’s basically wireless Link and a native solution built directly into the main Oculus software. I read that it also has ASW, so the performance should be much better.

Daggett
    Participant

It’s not because it’s a build in feature that it will be better than VD.

The Oculus Link is done by Oculus and is not really good.

I am pretty sure that VD will be far better than Air Link.

So let’s wait and see

Ralf
    Keymaster

Keep in mind that with Air Link there will be no need to route the vorpX output to SteamVR, then to VD and from there to the Quest where again VD has to process the encoded video and display it on the headset. Would be quite a surprise if an all Oculus solution from start to finish couldn‘t beat that. At least as far as vorpX is concerned.

After all it’s just streaming video over WiFi. They almost certainly didn‘t do that until now out of incompetence but because of an (overly) cautious management fearing too many support requests, older WiFi isn’t good enough for low latency streaming to a headset. And ofc they wanted to sell their $80 Link cable (which probably noone bought).

sue
    Participant

VorpX works with Virtual Desktop. You have to set VorpX to SteamVR since VD doesn’t use the Oculus Runtime. Air Link will be better and should work just fine since it’s basically wireless Link and a native solution built directly into the main Oculus software. I read that it also has ASW, so the performance should be much better.

I’ve seen that stated before, but I’ve never gotten it to work. I did have VorpX set to SteamVR.

However, I now have Air Link and can confirm that it works flawlessly with VorpX.

onetoo
    Participant

Yeah, it connected with no issue on my end, but alas, doesn’t matter anymore lol. Air Link really is amazing. I’m currently playing Metro Exodus and the game is really stable and has proper colors vs VD.

moarveer
    Participant

I’ve tried Air Link today and it works really well, it feels even better than VD. Tested just briefly with Elder Scrolls Online, and it was fantastic, absolutely perfect. At 200mb bandwith it looked almost on par with Oculus Link cable in terms of image quality and smooth tracking, for some reason it seemed to look better than ever, I don’t know if a Vorpx update that just installed had something to do with it, but it was great.

I tested it with Vorpx and SteamVR. I know that I should be using Oculus mode instead, but since I like to play Vorpx with Cybershoes, which require games to run on SteamVR, I prefer to use SteamVR instead. I had performance problems before with ESO and SteamVR with Vorpx, but that seems fixed now for whatever reason.

Really, Air Link puts PC VR and specially Vorpx on console level of accesibility. Turn on Quest 2, a message pops up that your PC is detected by Air Link, click pop up, load Oculus PC, select desktop, run PC game, there you go, it takes 2 minutes, all with no cables, no setup, it’s fantastic, just pure instant pick up and play pc vr.

jjensson
    Participant

Very exciting! I’m glad that i decided to wait before buying VD – had a feeling that something might be coming from Oculus anyway. And here we are…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!