Oculus CV1 improve resolution trick question

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Oculus CV1 improve resolution trick question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    reanor
    Participant

Can anyone confirm if this is still actual and works (considering you tried this before and know the difference)?

How to Sharpen Rift Visuals with Supersampling Using Oculus Debug Tool

I’ve recently tried this and it does nothing any longer. I wonder if it only works with specific version of SDK, or they have some override in recent SDK versions to ignore the pixel override setting in debugger.

reanor
    Participant

There also seems to be a STEAMVR hack, that works with Steam launched games, I presume.

Here is the description:

How to Sharpen Your HTC Vive’s Visuals with Supersampling

Ralf
    Keymaster

This doesn’t really have a positive effect when using vorpX. vorpX already supersamples the final image that is sent to the headset. Adding an additional multiplier on top of that only has a small effect on image quality (if at all), and depending on the factor chosen leads to excessively large final eye render textures (up to 6000×8000 per eye).

What does have a profound effect on image quality is running games at a higher resolution. The default suggestion of 1280×1024 is a compromise between quality and performance. 1920×1440 would roughly result in the same quality as native apps, resolutions above that would be supersampled resolutions.

Just keep an eye on performance when changing the game resolution (ALT+F), 45fps+ (game) should be maintained for a comfortable experience.

reanor
    Participant

Gotcha, thanks! That eliminates the SDK and SteamVR config headaches. There was another thread, however, where even after increasing the in-game resolutions, using SDK override added additional sharpness/clarity to the game image even with already increased resolutions, but I guess it’s all a question of how much your PC can handle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!