Oculus Go HMD- Is anyone using this HMD? Is it ok? Any details you can give plea

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Oculus Go HMD- Is anyone using this HMD? Is it ok? Any details you can give plea

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    willscz1
    Participant

My setup:
    HMD= Oculus Go Headset or I could use Android phone
    Radeon 480
    AMD FX-6300
    8GB ram
    Input= keyboard, mouse, XBox1 controller

I put android phone but what I really am wondering is if VorpX works ok with Oculus GO hmd? So if that’s you please talk to me. What’s your experience? Was their anything you had to do to get it to work? Anything!?

Ogrescar
    Participant

You need a headset that can use your Radeon 480. That excludes the Oculus Go – it uses it’s built-in SnapDragon GPU. The same with any Android device.

I don’t have an Oculus Go. Someone correct me if I’m mistaken.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Go works with vorpX in SteamVR mode and an additional streaming app like ALVR that can stream SteamVR content to the headset.

Caveat: your PC is a bit on the low end of the spectrum of what makes sense for vorpX, so for newer, more resource hungry games you’ll be limited to the faster, but less accurate Z3D 3D method. Apart from that everything should work fine.

willscz1
    Participant

The Go works with vorpX in SteamVR mode and an additional streaming app like ALVR that can stream SteamVR content to the headset.

Caveat: your PC is a bit on the low end of the spectrum of what makes sense for vorpX, so for newer, more resource hungry games you’ll be limited to the faster, but less accurate Z3D 3D method. Apart from that everything should work fine.

Ok I have steam I have vr already installed. I have ALVR installed ready to go.

So to understand correctly
    To use vorpx I load steam —> steam vr —> ALVR —> Vorpx then load game and depending on which game I play I might have to use Z3D 3D method to get it to work.

Question: could I use something like trinus vr or Ivry driver on steam store to stream to Oculus Go and this will work with vorpx? Or is vorpx dependent on streaming application used? I want to ask because I will also have to buy an app to stream to my Oculus go hmd.

Question: is vorpx dependent on Steam Vr? I have games that are not imported into Steam? If vorpx is steam + steam vr dependent will vorpx play games I import To steam

For clarification I have yet to even Stream a vr or a 2d game to my oculus GO I’ve only ever used the native Oculus store which FB ended support for and I’m looking for new experiences. I also want to play 2d games in 3d which is what I thought Oculus GO hmd did when I first bought it. Boy was I dead wrong!

willscz1
    Participant

And I forgot to ask can Vorpx convert 2d movies and video files to 3d?

willscz1
    Participant

I have what’s called AMD link. AMD Link is software in the AMD Adrenalin software that is used to stream pc to devices such as Oculus Go or an android phone. I’d rather use that if I could to stream to The Go. I would think the latency would be very good since it’s the software that operates my gpu. Just assuming though as I haven’t tested.

But if vorpx is dependent on a streaming application because it’s not using steam then I can get something else.

Ogrescar
    Participant

The streaming application must be able to capture output from SteamVR or the Oculus Rift. Vorpx isn’t dependent on the streaming software, but it has to be able to capture the output from vorpx to those hmd clients.

If you want to be creative, your could set vorpx to stream to the generic 3d display and use a streaming app that can use the side-by-side output, but I don’t know if there are any apps that’ll do that for the Oculus Go – Maybe the AMD link?

Vorpx can’t convert movies. There’s no depth information in a video stream. There are applications that can do that, but they use an entirely different approach.

My apologies for the misinfo in my previous reply. I was unaware of ALVR, and kind of thought the Go had died after a short and unremarkable life.

willscz1
    Participant

The streaming application must be able to capture output from SteamVR or the Oculus Rift. Vorpx isn’t dependent on the streaming software, but it has to be able to capture the output from vorpx to those hmd clients.

If you want to be creative, your could set vorpx to stream to the generic 3d display and use a streaming app that can use the side-by-side output, but I don’t know if there are any apps that’ll do that for the Oculus Go – Maybe the AMD link?

Vorpx can’t convert movies. There’s no depth information in a video stream. There are applications that can do that, but they use an entirely different approach.

My apologies for the misinfo in my previous reply. I was unaware of ALVR, and kind of thought the Go had died after a short and unremarkable life.

no apologies needed! Im in the dark when it comes to this. I downloaded trial versions of some of the apps I mentioned but have not tested anything yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!