Oculus Rift – Fatal Error: Dash encountered a fatal error

Homepage Forums Technical Support Oculus Rift – Fatal Error: Dash encountered a fatal error

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bacon2002
    Participant

Hi,
    My rift works great until I install Vorpx. Once Vorpx is installed every time I put on the rift I get the above message, even if Vorpx is not actually running.
    The only way to stop this message appearing is to uninstall the Oculus and Vorpx software and delete all the Oculus folders, restart the PC and reinstall the Oculus software from scratch.
    Any idea how I can fix this error message and use Vorpx with my rift?
    Thanks,
    David

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please try to disable the vorpX service. Currently the service’s only purpose is to disable a virtual monitor that is added by Oculus since Home 2.0 was introduced. Should only happen while vorpX is running, but that’s the only thing I can imagine to be related to your issue.

With recent nVidia driver versions doing that doesn’t seem to be required anyway, so it should be safe to disable the service. vorpX’s core functionality is not affected by disabling the service in any way

1. Open the start menu.
    2. Type services.
    3. Open the Services app.
    4. Scroll down to the vorpX service and double click it.
    5. Stop the service and set its start type to disabled.

Please note that the service may get additional, more important, functionality in the future.

Bacon2002
    Participant

Hi,
    Tried that but it still doesn’t work.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks,
    David

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to uninstall and delete the C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX folder before you reinstall.

However: the service is the only component that is running while vorpX isn’t. Nothing else can have any effect on your system until you actually start vorpX.

Bacon2002
    Participant

I have tried several times, everything works perfectly until I install Vorpx.
    As soon as I install Vorpx I get the message “Fatal Error: Dash encountered a fatal error” whenever I put on the Rift HMD.
    There is something happening in the Vorpx install that is stopping the Rift from working correctly.
    If I uninstall everything and start again but don’t install Vorpx it all works fine?

Bacon2002
    Participant

I have a feeling this may have something to do with Nvidia drivers when using spanning settings for triple monitors, or at least there are some topics discussing this problem and this error message.
    But I don’t know why it works with spanning before installing Vorpx and not after.

Ralf
    Keymaster

With the exception of the service nothing is running unless you start vorpX, so nothing except for the service can have any effect on your PC unless you start vorpX.

Bacon2002
    Participant

Ralf,
    After a load of mucking around and hassle its all fixed.
    I removed Oculus and Vorpx, deleted all the install files. Turned off Nvidia screen spanning.
    Restarted the PC then reinstalled Oculus, Vorpx and the Nvidia drivers.
    Now it all works and no more “Fatal Error: Dash …..”
    Thanks for helping.

nmorris166
    Participant

Hello i know this is a bit of an old post but i recently had the same issue and after going through oculus support i figured it out on my own, if you have any software that changes the mouse pointer like yolo mouse then turn it off as that was what caused it for me, basicly trial and error disable or shutdown processes in task manager until it works.

i actually setup a new user profile in windows 10 and the rift s worked perfectly.

dunno if it works for everyone but it might help atleast… and no vorpx wasnt the issue either.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!