Official Pimax 5K/8K Recommendations

Homepage Forums Technical Support Official Pimax 5K/8K Recommendations

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    deathorb
    Participant

Hey ralf – Any chance of an update to this guide? I beleive a lot of settings have changed since this was made…. Would be helpful and allow Vorpx to continue being relevant even after Half Life Alex!

Ralf
    Keymaster

What settings do you think have changed? Incidentally my last Pimax check has been about 10 days ago or so.

Edit: I think the SteamVR resolution manual override is called differently now, I’ll look into that. Apart from that everything should still be set as described in the guide.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

As of PiTool version 1.1.258 I’ve been unable to continue using the vorpX motion smoothing functions. Figured I would post here in the Pimax thread as it is specific to Pimax. Regardless of the settings I use for a new “GPU Catalytic Function” I have ghosting and sync issues. Like many Pimax options, this function is largely undocumented, but it provides a slider which appears to offer some sort of a trade-off between GPU and CPU usage, or at the least reserves additional GPU overhead so that you can tune your system to avoid sudden valleys in performance in trade for a bit lower performance overall. This setting dramatically effects vorpX’s motion smoothing; with the slider set to 0 it *almost* works (but FPS suffers greatly), any setting above that, even 0.25, and problems compound quickly. The issue appears to me to be out-of-sync frames; where there are moments of extreme ghosting, or where it appears that I’m getting two very different frames, one in each eye. However, the Pimax version of smart smoothing (under “BrainWarp settings) does appear to work well now with vorpX, and I’ve successfully switched to it. The only problem with that method is that BrainWarp seems to aggressively try to get back to 90fps in many circumstances (more so through vorpX than native titles like Steam VR), which can cause the frame-rate to throb considerably. I ended up using Riva Statistics Tuner to limit FO3 to 46fps, so that BrainWarp gives up and stops trying to boost back to 90 and accepts 45fps (if you set Riva to 45fps you get some visual stuttering, but 46 works perfectly).

At this point I’ve only tested FO3. I’ll try to find time to test FO4 or Life is Strange 2 this weekend.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Yeah, same thing happens with other titles as well. I’ve reported it on the Pimax discussion thread for the 258 release of PiTool. From what I’m seeing people are overall NOT happy with 258. I’ll be clean-installing an older version in the next couple of days if they don’t push out a fix.

mhdzkjdp
    Participant

Hello there! HP reverb Can it be used?

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Just a quick update. Over various PiTool and vorpX releases I’ve had issue both with vorpX motion-smoothing not working, and with PiTool motion-smoothing not working. Luckily they were never both broken at the same time…

As of version v272b of PiTool and 21.3 of vorpX things are looking to be working reasonably well again. I still have ‘issues’ but they are often surmountable (for example I might have to launch a game twice before PiTool smoothing turns on. Or in the case of testing FO3 using a G3D profile the PiTool smoothing causes the game to shimmer continuously in a horrible way between two scenes that are a few pixels apart – I haven’t been able to resolve that one.)

Overall the vorpX motion smoothing works with greater clarity, and with zero in-scene distortion, but has more whole-scene ghosting. The PiTool smoothing feels smoother overall, but causes partial scene-distortion (i.e. your gun or UI elements get all wobbly when you move or turn). I try both types with a title and then decide which I prefer to use on a case-by-case basis.

drowhunter
    Participant

Just wondering what the state of getting Vorpx to support Canted displays?

I ask because it seems that Luke Ross was able to remove the need for this setting, the following is a quote from him over on the Pimax forums

“Also much requested: all games now support headsets with canted displays, like the Reverb G2 (very small angle, about 1 degree), the Valve Index in “raw” mode (5 degrees), up to the huge cant of Pimax headsets (10 degrees). This should solve all problems with misaligned/double crosshairs, and it will provide correct rendering for scopes, binoculars, photo-mode cameras, etc. without the need for parallel projections. On the Index for example, there is a 17% performance improvement to be gained by enabling raw projections!”

Ralf
    Keymaster

Due to the way vorpX works that’s a non-issue. If it weren’t it would have been addressed years ago. Only affects the second render step where the image is sent to the headset, not the actual game rendering. Performance impact is negligible.

brown66
    Participant

Ralf

In your first post, you said this:

“Turn on smart smoothing: should be OFF to avoid judder “.

However, in the Pimax 5K/8K recommendations, inside the VorxP Held Overview, is written the opposite:

“Turn on smart smoothing: should be ON to avoid judder”.

Which one is the correct?

brown66
    Participant

In Windows 11, is it the option “Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling” enabled, in System/Display/Graphics/Default Graphics Settings, incompatible with Vorpx and the Pimax headsets?

I spent over a week trying to figure out why the Pimax 8KX was performing poorly in Skyrim LE, as well with image quality issues (especially when rotating my head, with ghosting between black and white images, as we have seen in the item menus), and I found that if I turned off the “Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling”, my poor image quality and poor performance issues disappeared like magic!

Now the game runs as smooth as when I used it with the HTC Vive Pro (well, I also still need some tweaks on the VorpX menu options, but I will discuss this on another topic).

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@brown66: I’ve had a two different Pimax HMDs now and absolutely love my 8K-X. But between PiTool revisions, GPU drivers, and vorpX updates it’s always been a total crap-shoot what works right at any given time. Unfortunately if you desire wide FOV there are zero other options, so it’s what we are stuck with. Do check on the OpenMR forums routinely as they are a fairly good resource for troubleshooting (well, if you can freaking find what you want; they are a crappy ‘modern’ forum design and therefore really hard to use.)

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Quick note (not related to vorpX but will likely cause performance issues on Pimax hardware):

Stay away from “Pimax Client” and stick with PiTool for now. Performance in the majority of titles is significantly impacted by Pimax Client as opposed to PiTool, including vorpX performance which dropped about 10-20% – or about the same as the most-impacted native VR titles (AC, for example, also sees dramatic performance issues under Pimax Client.) This experience with poor Pimax Client performance has been supported by other OpenMR forum users and has already taken into consideration as many other potential factors as reasonably possible (updated GPU drivers etc.)

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!