OK… so how does it work??

Homepage Forums Technical Support OK… so how does it work??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Carlos
    Participant

Hey Vorpx/Ralph,

I’m pretty confident i’ve red most of guides/troubleshooting, but still, the lack of basic info both from Vorpx and Oculus boggles my mind, mostly because VR’s still a WIP “product”, is it not? I mean, there’s plenty info regarding in-game usage, but not so much regarding how to start the game itself?
    I know i’m not Einstein material, but usually i’m not total moron either (hopefully :)

So here’s some Q’s for your A’s, PLEASE

a) how should i set the DK2 on windows (Win7 64)? Should i even bother with that? Vorpx recommends setting Rift as primary screen as the most compatible set. But with latest (direct) runtime, rift doesn’t even show at windows screen settings.. it only does if ran in extended mode, right? So how to make it primary?

b) what runtime should i run? If you say last (1.3.2), it does not support extended mode.. Is it an issue? Does it matter for Vorpx driver if DK2 is running direct or extended? If a game only runs on extended mode, can i still play it? How?

c) Vorpx help says we should get rid of nvidia 3D vision AND Geforce Experience, BUT Oculus help says i need the latest Geforce Experience. Help?

d) should i start Oculus Home before starting Vorpx? If i do, the HMD’s will automatically show the oculus virtual menu, so how do we get from there into a Vorpx activated game?

c) if i don’t need to start anything from Oculus software, it’s like it’s not even connected, windows only recognizes the DK2 and both blue LED light up when i run Oculus Home.. So, to make it simple, let’s say i reboot. From now, how exactly am i supposed to launch any Vorpx ‘thing’?

d) the tray icon does not show any “VR desktop” choice.. just – Configure vorpx – Show help – Pause watcher – Create desktop shortcut – exit. So where’s the VR desktop i also bought?

c) in the configuration menu, Local Profiles shows several game names, but what are they for? If i click @ Import Settings/Profile there’s nothing? It prompts for *.vps *.vpp extension.. so where should i look for them? Are they part of the supported games software? I’ve been looking around rFactor2, can’t find it…

d) is there a way besides having the tray icon that tells me Vorpx is REALLY running?

e) this one should maybe go to oculus, but it doesn’t harm asking.. in extended mode (with pre 0.8 runtime) the HMD’s image shows crossed if i use native 1920×1080 for the DK2. The ONLY config that shows correct desktop image on the HMD’s is 948×1080, no matter if it’s primary or secondary.. Why is that?

Thanks for the time and help! I really need it because so far nothing (vorpx activated) is showing on the DK2… (at oculus home, everything works like a charm!)

specs: i7-4790, GTX970, 16Gb ram, Rog Hero VII, Win7 64, Rift DK2 (1.3.0)

Ralf
    Keymaster

You just have to launch vorpX and then launch games afterwards. vorpX should hook into supported (and many unsupported games) automatically.

If vorpX hooks into no games at all, there is very likely a conflict with some other program on your PC. Please disable everything that would not be there after a fresh Windows install. Especially virus scanners, GPU/CPU utilities and generally everything that also hooks into games or can show notifications in games.

Any recommendation regarding primary display or similar things is VERY outdated and does not apply anymore for over a year. Make sure to install the latest Oculus software which only has direct mode. The headset shouldn’t even be visible in the Windows monitor config normally.

The desktop viewer is not available on Windows 7. Unfortunately Windows 7 does not provide the required functionality for it to work. You need Windows 8.1 or higher for the desktop viewer.

Geforce Experience is not needed for Oculus to work, but normally it doesn’t interfere either. In case of issues, remove it for testing purposes.

You do not have to import any profiles. All default profiles are automatically there and loaded.

JoeMoore
    Participant

Hi .
    I’m running rFactor 2 with vorpX and it works runs great , but I’m having a small issue when I run the game with sim Commander 4 , the problem is if I choose the rFactor 2 –game exe–from Bin64 folder to launch the game from sim Commander 4 it runs ok but sim commander 4 plugin won’t work —- now if I choose rFactor 2 –game exe– from the Launcher folder the plugin for sim commander 4 works but wont connect to vorpX but will launch to monitor.

All other games like GSC / Automobilista I have no problems at all when I use vorpX sim commander 4 and DK2 .

Would any of you guys got sim commander 4 running with rF2 and vorpX , or have any ideas please .

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s a bit too game specific for me to help, but maybe someone else with rFactor 2/Sim Commander experience has an idea.

JoeMoore
    Participant

That’s a bit too game specific for me to help, but maybe someone else with rFactor 2/Sim Commander experience has an idea.

Lol yes a lot to take in :) but I know it has something to do with what exe I use , there are 3 launcher exe in the game 32 / 64 and the one I need to use is in the main launcher folder this is the problem one , just hopeing some out there has this working .

Carlos
    Participant

Hi Ralph, thanks for the ‘heads up’!
    JoeMoore, i’m sorry mate, don’t have a clue what your talking about…

@Ralph,
    i’ve finally managed to launch rFactor, rFactor2 and also R6 Siege (not supported, just as test).

Now, here’s some more Q’s.. i’m not complaining here, just checking if that’s expected or i’m messing something (not that unusual :)

Q1 – the Oculus Home software/virtual menu will allways start everytime i kick a game’s exe. Even if i close it’s tray icon, once i click either game or vorpx game shortcut it opens the Oculus Home and the virtual menu on the HMD’s.. Is that okay?? Isn’t this stealling system resources? And that takes me to Q2

Q2 – all 3 mentioned games have very poor headtracking.. it feels like it’s snnaping on a grid or something, like 5FPS, it’s unbearable. And the DK2 loading icon keeps showing and the screen freezes like it’s struggling to process the thing.. wich can’t be with my specs! So, what’s going on here?

Q3 – Left and Right images are inverted in the HMD’s, it was particulary noticed in rF2. Right eye is getting left image and vice versa, and i don’t find any option to switch it. The in-game menu options for changing axis does nothing..
    But the stereo is there, seems very promising, except for the L/R being messed up and the poor head tracking FPS. I mean, coming from PCARS on Steam VR, wich is smooth as silk, so far my short experience with vorpx hasn’t been.. the best :(

Q4 – last one… to run Steam games, Steam VR should be ON or not?? Some games like RaceRoom need a -vr launch setting to kick VR. Should i use such with vorpx?

Ralph, i get you’re VERY busy mate, but please try to follow the Q’s, it makes it a lot easier for me and others to LEARN stuff. I work in videogame industry and we’re just discovering the virtues of VR ;)

Thanks!

PS – before someone asks about R6 Siege experience.. you can use your ‘nose’ as a pointer, but the image is too blurry (DK2) and theres zero stereo atm, all you get is headtracking and extra zoom for that special HS, but besides that, it’s not worthy… yet! (not vorpx problem here, game needs VR development)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The Oculus software always gets activated. No way around that.

Please make sure to NOT activate “Multi threaded input” in the vorpX menu. This option is of no use anymore and may lead to choppy head tracking. It will be removed with the next version. Other than that: vorpX emulates the mouse for head tracking. Unless your mouse works choppy in games there shouldn’t be an issue.

Swapped eyes are technically impossible with vorpX. There may be some objects shown at wrong depth in some games though, which may lead you to this assumption.

Steam VR should be OFF for the Rift. It only is required for Vive, but not for Oculus!

andpal
    Participant

JoeMooe

I’m trying to get rf2 working and I can fire it up but the geomitri mod does’nt work to good for me, could you please share your settings in both opentrack and Vorpx,

It would mean the world to me !! Best possible racing sim out there :)

When hitting ” U ” freelook, then the view/mouse tracker goes nutts.. sweerlng out off the car in crazy directions ???!! What have I done wrong in Opentrack ?

Also how did you get r3e and automobilesta to work ? both off mine just throes me out.

Best regards Andreas from Sweden, sorry for my poor english

JoeMoore
    Participant

JoeMooe

I’m trying to get rf2 working and I can fire it up but the geomitri mod does’nt work to good for me, could you please share your settings in both opentrack and Vorpx,

It would mean the world to me !! Best possible racing sim out there :)

When hitting ” U ” freelook, then the view/mouse tracker goes nutts.. sweerlng out off the car in crazy directions ???!! What have I done wrong in Opentrack ?

Also how did you get r3e and automobilesta to work ? both off mine just throes me out.

Best regards Andreas from Sweden, sorry for my poor english

Here should help .
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools/page11?highlight=VorpX

JoeMoore
    Participant

@andpal
    Automobilista / GSC AND GSC Extreme uses same game engine as rFactor / I use that profile.
    Never had race room working , link below my post 419 will help .
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14441-Rf2Rift-rFactor2-Oculus-Rift-Plugin-and-Tools/page11?highlight=VorpX

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!