Option for no ambient light in Immersive Cinema mode

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Option for no ambient light in Immersive Cinema mode

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Demosthenes
    Participant

Just a feature request for an option to be able to turn off the ambient light in immersive mode and just have it black.

I really like the choices you have made for curvature and fov in the immersive screen but the ambient light often detracts from that immersion, for me at least.

Thanks for your efforts with the latest version :)

aoaaron
    Participant

bump

is this supported yet?

dellrifter22
    Participant

I’ve always thought black background for edgepeek would make sense, as it is mostly used for watching cinematics.

Maybe to avoid additional settings clutter, just have the current selected cinema background apply across all modes.

OlDirty
    Participant

I’m playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider in “Immesive mode” and the light grey ambient color around the screen really distracts me. Is there no way to make the background just black?
    But the Game ist f*cking amazing in “immersive mode”. One of the best VR experiences i ever had!

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can do that by using cinema mode with the ‘Scene’ option set to ‘None’. The only downside is that in cinema mode you don’t have EdgePeek. On the other hand cinema mode provides greater control over things screen curvature and other ‘pro’ settings.

Immersive Screen Mode was originally introduced for those who prefer an easy setup, hence I’d like to keep the number of settings for this mode to a minimum.

dborosev
    Participant

Hey OlDirty, just a hint, on those tomb raider games specifically, you can set the game resolution higher than you would on a regular VorpX game, as it uses split screen. I found out half way though that I could run it at 4k res with no speed loss. Since the final res is lower as its only using half that for each eye. I usually only run VorpX games at 1080p or 5×4 equivilant.

Ovo
    Participant

The only downside is that in cinema mode you don’t have EdgePeek. On the other hand cinema mode provides greater control over things screen curvature and other ‘pro’ settings.

Immersive Screen Mode was originally introduced for those who prefer an easy setup, hence I’d like to keep the number of settings for this mode to a minimum.

Could we have an EdgePeek option for cinema mode then? In many games I play in cinema mode, I need EdgePeek so I’m forced to use Immersive Screen and deal with the ambient light which I don’t like much.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Since this seems to be a rather popular request I changed my mind and will provide greater control for the immersive screen screen. In the next vorpX (out in a few days) you will find a ‘More Settings’ button in the menu similar to the one in cinema mode. Pressing that provides options for background selection and screen curvature adjustments.

That way those of you who want greater control will have it without sacrificing the originally intended simplicity of the immersive screen UI too much.

dellrifter22
    Participant

😀👍

I was just thinking about this 20 minutes ago while playing ACOdyssey and watching cutscenes.

I hope the background setting might also apply to edgepeek, so that cinematics can be viewed with proper black framing.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s either on or off.

Same for FullVR mode now BTW. At the time I thought it was a good idea to treat EdgePeek different and always have the ambience background during EdgePeek, but it’s just confusing. Intuitively one would expect the selected background to be applied regardless of EdgePeek or not, which is the case now. The ambience background is still the default, but if you don’t like it and turn it off, it’s always off now.

Ovo
    Participant

Perfect, thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Little change of plans: although I’m always hesitant to add more buttons and stuff to the options menu you will now have full control over every relevant aspect of the ambience effect. After clicking the ‘More Immersive Settings’ button you can handle it individually for gameplay/EdgePeek and you also will be able to change its brightness instead of just having an on/off switch. Same for FullVR mode.

That should pretty much satisfy everyone’s preferences in this regard while still largely maintaining the simplicity of the main UI.

steph12
    Participant

Thank you Ralf :)

TheBalt
    Participant

thanks, ralf! sorry for a post that doesnt say much – just wanted you to know as a consumer of your product you have impressed me again, thank you for this product and all your work with us! youve done fantastic – currently enjoying your profile for the Surge and loving it, thanks for this new addition to cinema mode!!

OlDirty
    Participant

Very nice to hear. Thanks Ralf!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!