Option to prevent an Auto-Update

Homepage Forums Technical Support Option to prevent an Auto-Update

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geoman
    Participant

Hi Ralf!

Many of us non SSE 4.2 CPU-Users have to arrest Oculus Home to version 1.3.1 (via hosts-file exclusion), because 1.3.2 as forced auto update won’t run any longer on older Phenom IIs and Xeons.
    Could you implement a check-box for preventing auto-updating of VorpX as well, so that we will have a working combination for the time beeing?

Best,
    Robert

PS See:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71083/cant-install-software-exiting-with-code-18

RJK_
    Participant

IIRC this has been discussed before, but since the big change in system requirements (VorpX will now not work without SteamVR 1.1.3b), i would also vote for a users choice to allow auto updates or not, or may be just before a download starts a checkbox let the user cancel or allow an update. Just thinking of someone is playing a game and “mistakely” starts vorpX while beeing online. Since there is no official way back, the user must install SteamVR 1.1.3b if he wants to keep using vorpX. Just think that favorite game doesnt work anymore after that SteamVr update for whatever reasons. (not because of my very personal setup just some thoughts in main)

Ralf
    Keymaster

As fast as the VR runtimes are still evolving that is impossible to maintain. You (and to an even greater degree I who had to figure out for hours what was wrong) experienced that first hand just a few months ago when you assumed vorpX wouldn’t work while in fact the problem was the outdated SteamVR version you used.

The only viable way to prevent having to deal with incompatibilities like that on a regular basis is to make sure everyone uses the most recent versions as far as possible. Neither Valve nor Oculus offer downgrade options for precisely that reason. While for you such issues may be an unfortunate nuisance, for devs like me (or those at Valve/Oculus) it’s far worse since valuable time is lost for nothing.

Once the runtimes have matured in a few years your wish might be something worth considering, until then everything stays like it is. At Valve, at Oculus and also here.

RJK_
    Participant

I get your point and i of coarse accept that. Hope that everything will turn out good for everyone. ..Feel a bit guilty about that dll thing

Ralf
    Keymaster

I think I can help with that. I’ll simply send you an invoice charging a typical hourly rate of a reasonably well qualified C++ programmer. Then you don’t have to feel guilty anymore. ;)

RJK_
    Participant

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!