Outer Worlds, head rotation multiplier >1.0?

Homepage Forums Technical Support Outer Worlds, head rotation multiplier >1.0?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mr.uu
    Participant

Dear Ralf,

Thank you for the support of Outer Worlds, it’s great!
    I do enjoy the game in immersive screen mode and z3d on my Valve Index HMD.
    One thing nags me: even if i set the head rotation multiplier to 1.0, the head rotation is still not 1:1 but more like 1:.5 or less. Is there a way to edit the official outer worlds profile (that’s the one i use) to set a higher head rotation multiplier? Btw, i do not use direct VR, the scanning needed after every level loading is annoying…

Thank you for your magical piece of software,
    Werner

Ogrescar
    Participant

I think you just need to adjust the head tracking sensitivity. No need to edit the profile.

mr.uu
    Participant

The scale for the head rotation multi tops out at 1.0. If i set it to less, the rotation is even slower/less far.
    I need more ingame rotation per head rotation. Not less…

Ogrescar
    Participant

The head tracking sensitivity is the base number that the multiplier uses. It is on the head tracking tab, not the main settings tab. You can bump it up and look behind you with a glance if you’re so inclined.

Ralf
    Keymaster

With mouse emulation head rotation is relative to your mouse sensitivity. If you already maxed out the vorpX setting, raise the mouse sensitivity in the game options. With default game mouse sensitivity it should be correct normally per default.

The game also hat DirectVR head tracking though, which is what you should use if available for a game. Just run the memory scanner, afterwards you have perfect 1:1 head tracking, also lower latency than with the mouse emulation method.

mr.uu
    Participant

unfortunately head rotation sensitivity is only accessable in menu if direct vr scanner is not used. (in the case of outer worlds it defaulted to .35). Changed it to around .45ish and head rotation was great.

Once direct vr scanner is used (and i prefer now to play with it, much more smooth), the multiplier is always same and not accessable in the menu. Some way to make it still accessable?

I had mouse speed ingame to 15%. I bumped up and down mouse speed ingame to 100% or 50%, it does only change the speed of the mousecursor, not the behaviour of the head rotation in game (if using direct vr scanner).

I play now in 1440p and g3d, much better immersion.

btw, in the vorpx menu there is a description error. In the KB/Mouse Tab it states two times “right stick X sensitivity”. The lower one should be “Y”.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no sensitivity to change when the memory scan succeeded. After a successful memory scan vorpX writes the head tracking rotation data directly into the game’s camera rotation memory values. This is always perfectly 1:1 without the need for tweaking. That’s actually the point of DirectVR head tracking (plus the lower latency).

mr.uu
    Participant

Well, then where is the error? Maybe in the FOV settings? Maybe you should include the FOV in the multiplier, too? Ingame FOV is @112deg.

Fact is, that the head rotation after a direct vr scan is off.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Works perfectly fine here, sorry. Also no other reports like this at all. The scanner figures out where the game stores the camera rotation in memory and then overwrites these values with the head tracking data. provided the scan succeeded there is no margin for error in that regard.

FOV is handled via DirectVR too, but in this case via an ini tweak. In this particular game you have to set a 16:9 res though for that to work (as suggested by the message shown in the top left corner of the game window).

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Interestingly I too am having the head-tracking issue with Outer Worlds. No problems with Fallout 3, the head tracking there after a DirectVR scan is perfect, but in Outer Worlds all I can say is that it feels too slow and definitely a bit ‘wrong’ for lack of a better word. It’s not awful, and if I wasn’t playing any other VR games at the same time I could probably get used to it and it wouldn’t bug me, but switching from Skyrim VR natively, or Fallout 3 through Vorpx, into Outer Worlds through vorpX and the difference is distinct. It’s almost as if my head is too far back, I don’t know, it’s a hard sensation to describe. I do think that being able to increase the head rotation multiplier manually even after a DirectVR scan might be able to fix things.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

It looks to me like the issue is the FOV chosen by the DirectVR scan may not suit all users. I disabled letting vorpX change the FOV and I’m just tweaking in manually in the settings and I’ve definitely gotten things to feel a bit better already.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

OK, so I have this about 95% figured out and fixed. On my HMD (Pimax 5K+) the problem is between the FOV and the aspect ratio. Outer Worlds supports only 16×9 and 16×10 ratios even in windowed mode. I’ve found no FOV setting that feels correct with head tracking while using a 16×9 ratio. Using a 16×10 ratio at 3200×2000 pixels and a FOV of right around 110 feels pretty good. I haven’t quite gotten down to adjusting the FOV in 1% increments yet, but those settings have made a huge difference to me.

So for those of you having similar issues with Outer Worlds, try different aspect ratios and different FOVs (just use the in-game settings controls) and you’ll probably be able to correct this issue or at least make it feel a lot better.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The game uses an unusual camera projection where the camera center isn’t the image center. No matter what FOV you dial in, there always will be a slight distortion in FullVR mode when rotating your head due to this center mismatch. Not hard to fix, there just always were other things more important. I’ll see whether I can finally get that done for the next update.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Sounds good, thanks Ralf. Don’t know if I ended up liking Outer Worlds enough to give it another playthrough. Maybe. But I definitely liked it enough to get the sequel they announced and hopefully that will use the same engine, making any fixes you apply easier to carry forward.

Out of curiosity, any progress on the G3D profile? I have too many issues with the current one to use it (one eye goes black during cut scenes, the usual light source issues, that kind of thing), so I’m using Z3D. Of course in a number of cases I don’t have the power to use G3D at an acceptable resolution on my HMD anyway, but I *do* when I game on my 3D monitor instead (I can go as low at 1080p on that without any problem) and of course at some point when the great GPU blight of 2021 is over I’ll probably invest in an upgrade from my 2080 super. So getting more G3D profiles that work 100% is actually something I’m very much looking forward to.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!