Performance issues… need some help/advice

Homepage Forums Technical Support Performance issues… need some help/advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    spafmagic
    Participant

My rig:
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    i7 – 8700 Hex core 3.2GHz
    32 Gigs Ram
    RTX 2060 XC Ultra
    Oculus Rift S.

Ok… so, VorpX seems to be working as intended. Got some games I’ve been playing with out much of a problem. I noticed that the game is opened up on the monitor as well as displaying in my Oculus Rift S. But Fallout 4 seems to GOBBLE FPS rate. Once I get into the inner city of Boston, where there is a lot to render, I get shafted down to 10 FPS or so.
    BUT…
    Playing it the traditional way, (just monitor, keyboard and mouse) I’m steady at a SOLID 60 FPS no matter where I am in the game. My thoughts are that my card’s resource usage is being doubled while both monitor and Rift are being used at the same time.

Is there an option to force the game to simply display in the Rift only, to avoid the extra strain on the graphics card… so I can get the FPS with it, as I do not using VR?

Ralf
    Keymaster

it’s more complex than that, vorpX isn’t a mere stereo driver. For many games (including FO4) it not only renders the game in stereo 3D, among a lot of other things it also automatically adjusts (i.e. raises) the game’s camera field of view to match the FOV of your headset. Doing that costs additional performance since with a larger FOV more objects have to be rendered. On top of that there also is a certain overhead for rendering to the headset.

You will have to make some compromises in regard to image quality. What you see seems extreme though, you probably have cranked up everything to ultra high in the game’s options menu. Playing the game with medium detail settings should provide solid performance unless there is something really wrong with your setup.

Alternatively you can switch to Z3D in vorpX which for the most part takes the stereo rendering out of the performance equation. Except for objects very close to the camera that looks just as good in Fallout 4.

If you happen to be an .ini tweaker, also make sure to revert any .ini changes with a heavy impact on performance (e.g. uGridsToLoad). Same for any potential mods that may have a performance impact.

And last but not least make sure to let vorpX handle the game resolution, just in case you disabled that feature.

spafmagic
    Participant

Hmmm… Alright, I’ll look into what you suggested. just a couple questions though…
    Where do I find the Z3D option?

And in along with everything you’ve said, would it not -also- eat up some resources from the card for the game to be running through both the monitor and Rift? Essentially it’s splitting the video signal 3 ways, yes? 2 to the eyes and 1 to the monitor.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Displaying the game on your monitor has no noticable impact at all. The three major factors that affect performance are: 1. Stereo 3D, 2. higher game field of view to match the FOV of your headset and 3. some overhead for rendering to the headset.

The ‘3D-Reconstruction’ option which let’s you switch to Z3D can be found on the main page of the vorpX ingame menu. To access the menu, presss DEL on your keyboard.

BTW: If you haven’t done so already, you might want to check the ‘Essential Hints Guide’ in the vorpX help, which explains a few basic concepts.

spafmagic
    Participant

I glanced over the Essential Hints at one point, just looked it over again. I read the section for Z3D and G3D. General settings tab doesn’t show an option to enable it, unless it’s found on the in-game menu after launching?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Copypasta from above:

The ‘3D-Reconstruction’ option which let’s you switch to Z3D can be found on the main page of the vorpX ingame menu. To access the menu, presss DEL on your keyboard.

spafmagic
    Participant

Sorry… my human CPU is a little slow after just waking up. Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

No problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!