Pimax 12k Support (fov)

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Pimax 12k Support (fov)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John4090
    Participant

Ralf, will Vorpx support the Pimax 12k? It is advertised to run at 200 degrees in horizontal fov and 135 degrees vertical fov.

Thanks,
    John

Ghost75757
    Participant

that would also interest me if there is any potential ‘issues’ / incompatibilities with Vorpx you see Ralf with this new 12k headset? or good to go from your end?

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX will almost certainly work with the headset like it does with the current Pimax lineup.

Not 100% sure, true 200° however sounds a lot like it might require a special setup with four views rendered per frame instead of two even with canted displays. That wouldn‘t really work with vorpX.

My personal 2 cents: I think they are really starting to overdo it. Sure, the huge FOV is their unique selling point, but even with their medium FOV setting (about 140° horizontal) they would be so far ahead of ‚normal‘ headsets in that respect that personally I believe they would do better overall by targeting that instead of their super performance heavy (and still distorted at the outer edges) 180-200°. Just my two cents, of course.

fubar
    Participant

Yeah, there is no GPU that can come even remotely close to fully driving 8KX let alone the 12K unless dynamic foveated rendering works way better than expected. Hell, probably RTX 7090Ti will have trouble with that headset several years from now xD.

Ghost75757
    Participant

looks like the Pimax Crystal is the GO for the moment. lets see how first reviews look and if they deliver what they promise (delivery times and tech specs). Certainly exciting that these boundaries are pushed as the alternative headsets (Cambria) are rather disappointing in their specs.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@fubar – Generally speaking you are correct, but there are exceptions. Very well done games will take full advantage of the 8K-X even on today’s cards. I run a 3080 Ti and Alyx, TWD Saints and Sinners, Assetto Corsa, and a few others I can run at Wide FOV at 100% Steam SS or greater and at very high quality settings.

Assetto Corsa especially shines with SOL + CSP + Rain Effects. It’s almost beyond believing how amazing that looks. I enjoy driving around the ring, at night, in thunderstorms, with fireworks.

It’s times like that which make the Pimax HMDs worth the incredible PITA it can be getting everything working right.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the 12k, I hope Pimax has most of the kinks worked out; I would love to see CP2077 on that puppy though vorpX!

Obneiric
    Participant

@Ralf I can see where you’re coming from, but I absolutely prefer using the 8kx’s 160° FOV mode to 140° FOV because having that peripheral vision really does heighten the sense of presence and make it feel less like you’re looking through a screen and more like virtual reality.

I think the bigger issue is that I’m guessing the 12k will still require Parallel Projections to work with VorpX which ruins performance.

fubar
    Participant

I run a 3080 Ti and Alyx, TWD Saints and Sinners, Assetto Corsa, and a few others I can run at Wide FOV at 100% Steam SS or greater and at very high quality settings.

Sorry but I don’t believe it. I have all these games and a 3080 and I know there’s just no way. Maybe with reprojection. You only get smooth FPS in Alyx because it changes your resolution dynamically according to your performance so you’re not really running 100% SS there.

reter
    Participant

I prefer my 8kx full fov over anything else, really, i hope you’ll try to adapt vorpx to max the 200° fov in the future

at the moment i can force my monitor to go 4200×2160 120hz to make full fov, i think is my sweetspot for quality/performance

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I run a 3080 Ti and Alyx, TWD Saints and Sinners, Assetto Corsa, and a few others I can run at Wide FOV at 100% Steam SS or greater and at very high quality settings.

Sorry but I don’t believe it. I have all these games and a 3080 and I know there’s just no way. Maybe with reprojection. You only get smooth FPS in Alyx because it changes your resolution dynamically according to your performance so you’re not really running 100% SS there.

It wasn’t necessarily easy to get there, but yes, I do indeed get those resolutions and frame-rates. My 3080 Ti is a factory OC model that stays right around 2ghz under heavy load. . Assuming you aren’t CPU bound, however, you may be able to do something similar. Note that at one point I had to do a complete clean reinstall. Old PiTool versions or possibly even Windows updates had messed things up so badly that it was killing my performance.

Here are the titles I can run at Full FOV with no “Smart Smoothing” (I keep a spreadsheet of settings since getting this stuff all working right on Pimax equipment is such a PITA):

Alyx runs at 109% Steam SS at 90 fps except in one single battle scene (Fred? What’s that things name?) That’s with the auto-resolution setting left on and (you can defeat it through an ini tweak). You can also tweak it so you can see which resolution-setting you are actually getting real-time in the HMD. If I run at 75hz or 60hz I get additional clarity, as the title can use the higher-resolution modes more often, but it will maintain 90fps if I prefer the smoothness. IMHO this title is the way all VR games should work. It’s simply amazing how smoothly it transitions up and down those 5(?) resolution modes. If you don’t have it, make sure you use the tweaks for Alyx that remove the PP requirement.

TWDS&S runs at 90fps at 120% in-game SS, 75fps at 130%, and 60fps at 140% (resolution has a HUGE effect as you can see).

AC runs at 60fps at 104% Steam SS, but I don’t need any more performance than that for a seated racing sim. That’s with SOL+CSP+Rain effects at night with tons of special effects. If I wasn’t using all that eye-candy AC would easily hit 90fps and stay there.

Other titles I also run at Wide FOV at 100% or greater Steam SS with no smart smoothing are Dirt Rally 2 and Into the Radius. AFAIK you’ll never get *any* game that requires PP to run at Wide FOV at 90fps at 100% Steam SS. At least, nothing I’ve ever tried will do that. Dirt Rally 2 requires PP and I get 60fps at Wide FOV, 100% SS.

In terms of vorpX performance, that wipe and completely clean reinstall did wonders. I had all kinds of performance issues creep into my rig over time, and they hit vorpX performance worst of all. If you have a second drive you can play with, you might try setting that up as a boot drive, doing a clean install of Windows with only the most basic software you need to get things working, and do a test run to see if you suddenly get a massive performance uplift.

Also, Shadows are often a bigger performance hog than one might expect. In nearly all the title I’ve mentioned I probably have Shadows set to Medium or lower and I’ve also probably turned down particles, so it’s not like I’m getting that performance at Ultra settings across the board. I can usually get away with the highest quality textures and meshes however (if controls for such are available,) which I find very important.

I do wonder, however, how in the world we are going to drive the 12K (if it even becomes a real thing). That’s so many more pixels, and I just can’t stand less than 100% Steam SS, even with something like the VRPERFKIT installed for upscaling. To my eyes the image just falls apart at anything less than that. Here is hoping a 4090 can actually drive a 12K at 100% SS.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!