Pimax 4k capped at 30fps

Homepage Forums Technical Support Pimax 4k capped at 30fps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mvanderlans
    Participant

Dear Vorpx users and mods,

I took the plunge to try out the Vorpx driver on my pimax 4k HMD. It works configured as HTC vive in de Vorpx configurator. steamVR is running, game testing now is half life 2. Game starts, mouse wheel click scales out so i can see menu of game. Ingame scales to good fov and that all works. Headtracking works. The problem is that it caps at 30HZ. The pimax is a 60HZ HMD, it does not matter what resolution i run the game it always runs at 30HZ even when i set resolution to 720p or 2160p. The other thing is that i cannot find the ingame menu.. When i press ESC it does not show,maybe i am doing something wrong here.

Thank you.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try to disable “Fluid Sync” on the display page of the vorpX ingame menu. For the HTC Vive vorpX per default uses the interleaeved reprojection feature of SteamVR, which creates additional frames in between the normal game frames.

If your headset does not provide this functionality, you may have to disable “Fluid Sync”, which also disables the Vive’s reprojection feature.

Mvanderlans
    Participant

Thank you Ralf,

The biggest problem now is that i cannot acces te ingame menu, esc does nothing.. I zoomed out completely with Shit and mousewheel but it is just not there.

Thank you.

Mvanderlans
    Participant

Well i managed to get the pimax frame rate working now, i followed general troubleshooting options:

-No steam client only VRmonitor
    -No Fraps
    -No Windows defender
    -Latest Nvidia drivers

It now works pretty good frame rate feels good enough.. still 60hz but thats a harware restriction. There is another problem ocasionaly the HMD gives black frames but it is sort of random sometimes allot sometimes none. Is there an option to change the config file per game for Vorpx?

Because is cannot acces the ingame menu i am maybe able to config it via a file..

Thank you!

Ralf
    Keymaster

That sounds like a typical issue with SteamVR when the GPU is heavily used. this is the main reason for Fluid Sync being enabled per default. If your Pimax headset does not support reprojection that will lead to the 30fps cap you descibed earlier though.

I would suggest to lower the ingame resolution/detail settings or switch to Z-Buffer 3D to reduce the GPU workload if a game shows these symptoms.

User settings are stored in a database, they are not accessible with a text editor.

The ingame menu can be accessed with DEL per default, not ESC. You can change the key assignment in the config app.

Windows Defender shouldn’t cause any issue BTW. If it does for some reason on youe machine, I would suggest to exclude the vorpX program folder from scanning instead of disabling it completely.

Mvanderlans
    Participant

Dear Ralf,

Indeed delete, that’s i bit silly of me.. I now have great frame rates this was all fixed when i turned the option on to see a copy on my main monitor. Not exactly sure what its called but it tells you that it can reduce fps but for the Pimax, it works best!! Thank you i really enjoy your product!

Kind regards,

Michiel from Amsterdam

reanor
    Participant

Mvanderlans, how is Primax? Does it really have 4K resolution per eye? I hear that this VR headset uses LCD screens and all kinds of complaints for image quality… If you have any other headset (CV1, HTC, PSVR) can you compare the experience? Also. does Primax have head tracking, or in general, how different is it from Oculus CV1? Is the picture quality really 4K? Also, don’t you need to have super duper GPU, like 4 Pascal Titans, considering that you’d need to render 4K image twice and even 1080 in SLI can’t do it…

Mvanderlans
    Participant

Heej Reanor,

Well i think the pimax is pretty good, i seen cv1 vive and dk2 they all have their issues resolution is the biggest for me and then price. The pimax has 4k screens so there is no pixelation but its 60fps thats being interpolated into 90 by the hmd. I do not have problems with motion sickness. I use the razer hydra for motion control, you cannot run 2160p or 4k at 60 hz because the device has a hdmi 1.4b connection 4k at 30hz is max but it is not possible to render that out anyway so thats not a problem. positional tracking is spot on it is very light and has some ghosting but they all have that fov is good brightness is a bit less then cv1 but acceptable.I run 970 oc it is sufficient also because you only need 60fps. hope this helps! Cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!