Playing Fallout New Vegas

Homepage Forums Technical Support Playing Fallout New Vegas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KickB
    Participant

Hi All,

I’ve had VorpX for a few years now, left VR (DK2) came back to it (CV1) and VorpX has come on a great deal. Like others here I find myself playing classic AAA games more than I do playing ‘Demo Like’ VR experiences. They are similar in some ways but very different in others. I do really like the in-between immersion of the two formats, especially as my PC is in the family living room and walking round with a visor on isn’t very practical until they have all gone to bed!

Anyway, been playing through my steam library, upgraded Graphics card for Christmas (don’t tell the wife its already in my PC, the box is still under the tree!) and decided my machine should have the muscle to push Fallout New Vegas… and I am pleased to say it does. I’ve spent the day modding, un-modding and getting everything to play nice.

I have to say the results are amazing but there is one thing wrong and its bugging the hell out of me! The stars in the sky are popping out at night and it is completely distracting. Nothing else has been a problem, and it sounds such a small thing but it totally ruins the experience at night! I’ve tried the Vanilla textures and 2 different sky texture packs, all the same. No issue with clouds, only stars.

It might be worth mentioning I ran Skyrim on my DK2 back in the day with some pretty sky mods and the same problem was not there. I’ve looked on the net and I cannot find anyone with the same problem. Surely it cannot just be me? Please if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. for now I’ll have to only play at day time (in the game of course, night in the real world!)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thanks for the heads-up, I will look into it. Probably an easy shader fix, check back here tomorrow. If it’s easily fixable with a profile update, I’ll let you know.

KickB
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the reply. Removed modded sky textures by reinstalling everything, went back to vanilla sky which looks fine to me. The stars still pop a little but not as noticeable. Honestly isn’t an issue now.

As I say they still pop a little buy as the vanilla night sky is generally brighter it is no where near as distracting!

matteo39
    Participant

which resolution do you use with new vegas?

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ KickB: Just checked two random savegames and waited til midnight. In both locations the night sky looked correct (checked with the Steam version).

If you want, you can send me a savegame to support |at| vorpx com for further investigation.

Apart from that it’s not entirely impossible that earlier DVD versions may use slightly different shaders, which would invalidate shader fixes like the night sky fix. If you use a non-Steam version currently, getting the Steam version might be worth a shot (currently $3.99 in the Steam sale).

KickB
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I’ve got the Steam version with all DLC. I think it was an issue with the mods I was installing and possibly not uninstalling properly. Using Nexus got very complicated with profiles etc and things being left behind. Uninstalled and reinstalled, left the sky mods and weather mods out (I think it may have been the Nevada Skies mod causing the troubles) and all looks OK now.

Thanks though for the help and support.

The next thing I’m tweaking is trying to get iron sights so I don’t go cross-eyed! I’ve read up elsewhere on the forums and I am going to experiment with the 3D settings today trying to reduce it close up – any additional tips would be respectfully appreciated.

@ matteo39, I’m using 2560×1440, Oculus ASW off, VorpX ASW on (BTW Ralf, works perfect) 1.5 SS via Oculus TrayTool, giving me 60-90 FPS even with all the HD textures etc. in cinema mode, ambient background, wrapped round and pulled in all the way. LOVE IT!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Iron sights can be addressed from within vorpX, you just have to enable expert settings in the config app. Once you did that you will see a new ‘Main Eye’ option in the vorpX menu. Simply choose the eye you would prefer in reality for aiming down the sights and you’re good.

This option will be easier to access in the next vorpX version.

KickB
    Participant

Wow, I wondered what that was! Now I understand I think you sir are a genius. I can’t wait to try it out later. Thanks for your help! Merry Christmas!

matteo39
    Participant

i don’t kwon why, but for iron sight, for me is always perfect “left eye”, also in other games

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!