Poor performance in F1 2020

Homepage Forums Technical Support Poor performance in F1 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    benene
    Participant

Hey,
    I’m running F1 2020 with the following specs:
    CPU: i7-8700
    GPU: RX 6800 XT
    RAM: 2x8GB 2400MHz
    Despite what settings preset I run on, in G3D the game runs at <10fps, vsync is turned off, AA is off and whilst using the AMD settings metrics it seems that the graphics card is barely being used <10%. Any thoughts?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That definitely doesn’t sound right. GPU (and frame rate) should definitely be higher. Not really sure what to recommend though besides resetting the profile to default in the config app (trouble shooting page) in the hope some messed up settings cause the issue.

benene
    Participant

I’ve reset vorpX, the game settings and my gpu driver setting to factory the results remain the same:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dyhl0bc2ircl7d/Screenshot%202021-02-02%2016.42.48.png?dl=0
    Perhaps it is a driver issue with the RX 6800XT it being a new GPU and all. Anyone else with a 6800XT able to play on G3D?

Warrie
    Participant

I9 9900 + 2080 Super here and I also get very poor fps. Around 60 to 90, constantly changing. That is with all details to the lowest, lowest resolution and SteamVR SS set to 50%. On my desktop I get 250fps.
    Weird thing is that in Theater or Immersive mode I also have the same fps results.
    I’m not sure if this is a F1 2020 issue or something with Vorpx and my G2 – before with my Quest 1 I had great results. Now all games I try have extremely poor fps, also in Theater mode :(

Ralf
    Keymaster

Windows Mixed Reality is not as good as Oculus or native SteamVR headsets like Vive or Index in regard to keeping the headset framerate stable. to account for that vorpX per default enables FluidSync on WMR headsets. If you disabled it, please switch it back to either ‚On‘ or ‚Device‘ (which means on in case of WMR).

Alternatively try a full factory reset in the config app (trouble shooting page). That makes sense after switching headsets anyway.

Warrie
    Participant

Hi Ralf, I have FluidSync to On. I tried a full factory reset but then I get a ‘1 error has occurer, reset might not be succesfull’ error. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling I get this error. Any idea?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can ignore that. The factory reset does a bunch of things, the message probably just means that there was nothing to reset at some point during the procedure. The really important things like resetting all profiles and other settings almost certainly where done correctly.

The underlying issue with WMR is what I wrote above: WMR headsets just make it harder for vorpX to maintain the full headset frame rate than other headsets. if FluidSync alone does not help to stabilize things in a particular game, you can also set the ‘Headset Sync’ option to ‘Safe’ (costs FPS but frees up GPU resources) or further reduce graphics details. There isn’t really anything that can be done.

BTW: The fluctuating headset framerate most of the time isn’t really a problem. If things feel right, all is well. If you used an an external VR FPS counter, use the vorpX counter instead (ALT+F). The more important framerate is the game framerate (the first one). An external VR FPS counter only measures the headset framerate (the second one you see with the vorpX FPS counter).

Warrie
    Participant

Yes it sucks that the G2 uses WMR.. games like Dirt Rally 2 and Raceroom also run MUCH better with OpenVR. I could run both games with a stable 72fps (max for Quest 1) with everything set to max, now with my G2 I have to set everything to the lowest.

But Rdd2 also runs painfull bad (like 5 to 15fps with most settings to low) and I read another G2 owner posting here that it runs great for him – so I do think somethings wrong on my end.

The fluctuating fps in F1 2020 is very noticable, it really makes it unplayable.
    The GPU is FPSVR is also showing a usage of 98% while I have set everything to low (2080 Super). I’ll keep on messing around to see if I can get it working :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Like said above vorpX has its own FPS counter (ALT+F), which is way more useful anyway since the one you use doesn’t even show the FPS the game runs with but only the FPS of vorpX’s headset thread. vorpX works not like native VR games where game and headset framerate are the same. With vorpX game and headset framerate are usually two different things.

In general: avoid running any external tool alongside vorpX that also hooks into the graphics pipeline. With a bit of bad luck your FPS counter might even be the reason for your issue.

Warrie
    Participant

Gotcha, I was both using alt-F and fpsvr, mostly fpsvr to see the gpu and cpu usage. Will try thing without fpsvr from now on to be sure that that one is not the cause :)

Warrie
    Participant

Headset sync to safe was a major fix! At least it’s very playable and stable fps now. Still have to run with with almost everything set to low.. bloody WMR :-/

Ralf
    Keymaster

Somehow your issue doesn’t really sound right. Checked F1 2020 with a WMR headset today (on a RTX 3080 though) and was able to play with G3D at 1440p and medium graphics details without any problems and without having to use the safe headset sync. Judging from that I’m pretty sure a 2080 Super under normal circumstances should behave way better than what you described above, WMR or not.

If you are already on one of the latest Windows 10 versions (20/04 or 20H2) it’s worth a shot to check whether maybe enabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in the Windows display options makes a difference for you.

Warrie
    Participant

I read your reply late – yes there was something wrong, all my games in vorpx run horrible until I did an uninstall/reinstall of vorpx. Now I get 90/90 with medium graphics :)

adzter
    Participant

I’m having a terrible time with F1 (2019).

I have an RX5700 (bit old, but will jump on a 3080 as soon as I can find one)

Anyway. Game runs at 120fps with most things high in pancake.

With g3d in Vorpx, as soon as I enable g3d my frame times go through the roof… everything pegged in the red.. BUT… my gpu usage is around 10%.

And Z3D gives me no depth, no matter what I do. (same with Wreckfest, btw)

AkaLucasYu
    Participant

I am having the exact same problem as the original post here.
    I am also running RX 6800XT with Ryzen 2600. And seeing less than 10 fps in game and less then 10% GPU usage.
    Any chance OP found the solution to this issue?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!