Portal 2 Direct Mode bug

Homepage Forums Technical Support Portal 2 Direct Mode bug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tiggerdyret
    Participant

I’ve tried out Portal 2 and every time I enter a portal the view turns sideways. It is quite annoying and kind of a deal breaker.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s mentioned on the Direct VR page in the vorpX ingame menu. Understand it as a new mean trick of GLaDOS to confuse you. :)

Seriously: while in other games something more elegant is possible, for Portal 2 Direct VR unfortunately needs to blindly overwrite the camera rotation with its own value, otherwise it jitters heavily. In other words: Direct VR does not take any rotation reset done by the game into account, which happens when you go through a portal. Unfortunately all attempts to reliably circumvent that or alternatively detect a reset by the game and react to it failed so far.

I will take another stab at that for sure since Portal 2 is such a great game in VR, but I can’t promise whether a solution will be possible.

Yohaskan
    Participant

I have a live test VR 17.1.2

Overall, it’s much better, but … (necessarily a but)
    I always have a feeling of being too close to … something
    Another problem, random flickering happens from time to time

These small bug gives an unpleasant feel to the game

I play with HTC Vive, gtx 1080
    in 1600×1200, no AA, aniso x16, multicore, max quality

Do you have some tips?
    consol command, desactivate shadow ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you feel to be too close to something, you can adjust the FOV on the Direct VR page of the vorpX ingame menu. I can assure you 100% though that the FOV applied by Direct VR is right, it’s definitely your feeling that is wrong here. But for exactly such feelings there is an option to do additional manual adjustment. I wouldn’t recommend it though, since with the wrong FOV the image starts to warp when you look around.

Not sure about the shadow flicker you noticed. I noticed the portal gun FOV flicker sometimes, but otherwise it works fine here, will have to take a look at that.

Yohaskan
    Participant

New test last update 17.1.3

I tested before and after the direct mode VR, and it is when it is active that the animation of Portal generator (gun) shake/flicker like missing animation.
    It does not do this when I disable VR direct mode

For the Fov, changing it only deforms the screen, it does not change this feeling of being too close to the image

I wanted to make a video to show what happens but I do not see any option to reactivate the return on the video screen (Mirror).

Another thing, Vorpx optimzation doesn’t work “path not found”
    (This game is on Drive D:)

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you use Direct VR, the game optimizer is not necessary. It’s even counterproductive in in this case for Portal 2. For the most part it addressed the FOV in Portal 2, which is now done by Direct VR. Do not use the optimizer for Portal 2 if you use Direct VR.

Like said above, the portal gun FOV may flicker. Unfortunately there is no solution to this glitch yet, sorry. The world FOV is perfectly right with Direct VR, hence changing it does not have any positive effect. You can experiment with the 3D-Strentgh if you want, that may also have an effect on your feeling, forgot to mention that above. Be careful though, the default value is close to a natural 3D-strength and scale, you don’t want to make very large changes here.

Geometry 3D with a perfectly correct FOV like with Direct VR technically is the same thing that native VR apps do.

Nocturns
    Participant

When you’re taking another stab at portal 2 could you check if in directvr the “up/down locked” works, ie. you can’t use the mouse to look up/down but use tracking instead (can’t lookup the exact term used in the menus). Now even if you turn it off it still stays on.

In other games I can turn it off and it works but with portal it doesn’t seem to work. I only recently got vorpx so I could be doing something wrong configuration wise.

At the moment I play without direct vr and set the FOV in the game manually. I would prefer to play with direct vr setting the FOV because portal resets the FOV after each level.

Philhzss
    Participant

That’s mentioned on the Direct VR page in the vorpX ingame menu. Understand it as a new mean trick of GLaDOS to confuse you. 🙂

I will take another stab at that for sure since Portal 2 is such a great game in VR, but I can’t promise whether a solution will be possible.

Hey Ralf,

Just wondering, is there any hope for this? I just got vorpX yesterday mainly for Portal 2, I’m almost fully satisfied with the results after a few hours of tinkering and research, but I have to use “DirectVR” OFF in order to avoid this confusing portal orientation glitch. I suppose it’s considered not fixable?
    Thanks a lot!

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s considered I-think-about-it-from-time-to-time-but-so-far-didn’t-have-a-better-idea-to-tackle-it.

Until (if ever) that changes I would suggest to either go slowly through portals, which makes the glitch a lot less confusing or to temporarily disable Direct VR with ALT+B before going through a portal.

Philhzss
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the very fast and precise response!

Thanks for the disabling DirectVR idea. I’ll admit, I’ve only tried playing Portal 2 with my mouse and keyboard, so it was quite annoying/impossible to use DirectVR all that time as that involved me needing to turn my head 180 degrees (towards the back of my chair) and away from the keyboard when going through a portal.

Perhaps if I stand and use a gamepad / touch controllers, I won’t mind the glitch if I go slowly through the portals. Thanks again!

zachariahs
    Participant

That’s mentioned on the Direct VR page in the vorpX ingame menu. Understand it as a new mean trick of GLaDOS to confuse you. :)

Seriously: while in other games something more elegant is possible, for Portal 2 Direct VR unfortunately needs to blindly overwrite the camera rotation with its own value, otherwise it jitters heavily. In other words: Direct VR does not take any rotation reset done by the game into account, which happens when you go through a portal. Unfortunately all attempts to reliably circumvent that or alternatively detect a reset by the game and react to it failed so far.

Does anyone know if there is a change to this? I only ask as this comment is four years old, was kind of hoping for a resolution!

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is no technical solution, but you can deal with the matter by releasing the forward button whenever you enter a portal. That way you come to a halt on the other side and can reorient if necessary. Works well for the vast majority of portals, except one or the other situation towards the end, where you might want to disable DirectVR temporarily (ALT+B per default).

rustyshackleford
    Participant

i hope there is a solution to this someday because portal with vorpx is perfect otherwise.

cyb3rwolf
    Participant

Ever make any progress on this?

If not, I maybe had a thought and no clue if it would work this way or not. Maybe make a companion mod for portal 2 that would do it?

Ralf
    Keymaster

The mod idea sounds good, I’ll explore how much effort that would take.

The workaround I described above works well though for most portals and for the ones where the glitch makes the game too difficult you can temporarily disable DirectVR:

you can deal with the matter by releasing the forward button whenever you enter a portal. That way you come to a halt on the other side and can reorient if necessary. Works well for the vast majority of portals, except one or the other situation towards the end, where you might want to disable DirectVR temporarily (ALT+B per default).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!