McAfee – Some Advice Welcomed

Homepage Forums Technical Support McAfee – Some Advice Welcomed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    toffeeviola
    Participant

Hello,

I was having a frustrating time with vorpX. Over the weekend I managed to get Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Mount and Blade: Warband working about 5% of the time, but then they would stop working for seemingly no reason. I tweaking my my vorpX settings, game settings, Nvidia settings, SteamVR settings etc. etc. I whitelisted all the relevant vorpX and Steam exes just to be sure it wasn’t anti-virus related.

Turns out it was a combination of factors:

1) The first is that for some reason on my PC the alternative hooking method and Run vorpX Control as administrator settings are mandatory for them to work.

2) The second is that McAfee hates vorpX’s temporary files in AppData/Local/Temp, and will insta-block them, causing vorpX to run infinitely without getting anywhere. This means that in order to get vorpX working, I have to have turn McAfee’s Real-time Scanning to off for the duration I want to use vorpX. Real-time Scanning will break things as soon as it is turned back on.

My question therefore, is does anyone have any suggestions for vorpX-friendly antivirus software? I’m happy to discard McAfee, because it is trigger-happy, uncommunicative, and lacking in customizability.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you are on Windows 10, you can simply uninstall it. Doing so will enable Windows Defender, which in recent tests is as good, if not better, as the best third party AV programs without being as invasive as some others.

With Windows Defender there is less risk of false positive detections in regard to vorpX, and in case it does still happen Microsoft at least reacts reasonably fast and reliable when they are made aware of it.

toffeeviola
    Participant

Thanks Ralf. I’ve been reading around online and what you say seems to check out. I’m pleasantly surprised that Microsoft have gotten more of a handle on it!

steph12
    Participant

i use avast free and it works 100% with vorpx.

i’ve been very happy with that antivirus for years

i just disable it shortly every time vorpx has an update cause sometimes avast block it…

a review here.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/364459/avast-free-antivirus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!